Thread: Sitting on strange places

Sitting on strange places

So I am visiting my parents in another city and today I woke up today on a strange bed.

Strange noises, air is different, water tastes different and even there are different kind of birds in the sky.

I sat zazen and all my senses were overwhelmed by this. I was kind of more aware than usual.

It was hard to let go of that at first, but at the end I was sitting as usual.

Have this ever happened to you?
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Yes, I know what you mean. I tend to cling to my own usual space, which is why I think I should make myself branch out and try other spaces. It is rather distracting even though I know Jundo has sat in the Tokyo equivalent of Times Square

Gassho
    Julia
    "The Girl Dragon Demon", the random Buddhist name generator calls me....you have been warned.

Feed your good wolf.

Just a me too here. I sat at my inlaws early on and the only place i could find to do so was the room next to the family room and It was a tad overwhelming at first. I have since made it a point to mix it up a bit now and then. Sit in the living room at home, the bed room sometimes, my office, back deck etc. Not so distracting now.

Gassho
    Shohei

Our home is on the corner of a fairly busy road and since it's been hot I've been sitting with the windows wide-open, exposed to all the noises of of the outside and I'd say it's been a pretty good practice. I'm learning to acknowledge and then ignore most noises as though they were thoughts just passing by.

As some folks say around here, it's all good practice.

Gassho,
    Chris

Kyonin,

I just posted in your other thread about visiting my folks soon and finding a zazen place should not be difficult, but I agree with those who have said that doing zazen in an uncomfortable place really is the thing to do, on purpose if necessary. It really is the best practice...and the worst.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Oh I know. I usually sit with what I got. This is no different.

It's just that it's such a different experience when you completely go to another city. Actually I'm liking the idea

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Kyonin,

I just posted in your other thread about visiting my folks soon and finding a zazen place should not be difficult, but I agree with those who have said that doing zazen in an uncomfortable place really is the thing to do, on purpose if necessary. It really is the best practice...and the worst.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Oh, tell me about that! I live on a very busy street and I have constant trucks and buses noises. You get used to that and no longer notice after sitting with that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by christhatischris View Post
    Our home is on the corner of a fairly busy road and since it's been hot I've been sitting with the windows wide-open, exposed to all the noises of of the outside and I'd say it's been a pretty good practice. I'm learning to acknowledge and then ignore most noises as though they were thoughts just passing by.

As some folks say around here, it's all good practice.

Gassho,
    Chris
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I have sat in hotel rooms many times, though I am inconsistent when sitting on the road. I sit outside on my front porch area on occasion depending on the weather. I recently took a long trip and part of it included going back home to my parents' house for five days, where I did not sit at all; it was just too weird even though they know I am a Buddhist and would've been fine with it. Yeah, I should've sat with that weirdness, but I just didn't. I sat only a few times on that whole trip, which brings me back to being inconsistent on the road.

None of this is not to say that I am ever really away from zazen on those times, however. It's more like zazen-lite, or whatever Jundo calls it (sorry, I forgot), or off the cushion practice. In other words, my Buddhism is always with me, even when I am in any unfamiliar setting or not sitting formally.
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLa View Post
    None of this is not to say that I am ever really away from zazen on those times, however. It's more like zazen-lite, or whatever Jundo calls it (sorry, I forgot), or off the cushion practice. In other words, my Buddhism is always with me, even when I am in any unfamiliar setting or not sitting formally.
    Zazen-lite! Far from it! As deep as deep can be ... lite as light ... at home anywhere ... stillness in movement, silent noise ...

Introducing Insta-Zazen! ©

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-%28Part-XX%29

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Oh, right, yeah, yeah, yeah. Sorry. Insta-zazen! (c)
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

With three young children in a small house, zazen is always in a strange place. Looking for a spot near a wall and moving piles of toys and crafts is part of my pre-sitting ritual. Clearing away piles of possessions before zazen should have obvious symbolic significance, but it usually just annoys me.

Mp
    Kyonin,

It sure does ... I like to spend a lot of time in the mountains, backpacking and such. I have now taken to ensure that I sit for at least 15 to 20 mins when I am out on there. At first it was strange, I felt out of place ... but now I looked forward to it.

Gassho,
    Michael

With Insta-Zazen! ©, I can say that I practice in all kind of strange places. I love that idea !
    Patrick__________________________
    Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien. -Voltaire
    The better is the enemy of the good. -Voltaire

Hi all,

I recently experienced something like this while visiting my family 6.5 hours away from where I live. I sat zazen when we were out on my sister's boat in the middle of a lake. I don't know how to swim and it was rather offputting in the beginning of zazen. I was able to let it go for a little while at least and just 'be'.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Hey Kelly!

That sounds like a fantastic experience! I would love to do that too. Hopefully soon, when I go to the woods.

When sitting on a strange place, it all seems overwhelming. But after a little while, it all feels natural.

Thank you for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by KellyRok View Post
    Hi all,

I recently experienced something like this while visiting my family 6.5 hours away from where I live. I sat zazen when we were out on my sister's boat in the middle of a lake. I don't know how to swim and it was rather offputting in the beginning of zazen. I was able to let it go for a little while at least and just 'be'.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍