Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

View Poll Results: Which design on what color?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'Treeleaf' across front on white

8 21.62%
  • 'Treeleaf' across front on black

8 21.62%
  • 'Treeleaf' on corner on white

4 10.81%
  • 'Treeleaf' on corner on black

8 21.62%
  • 'All life is our temple' design on black

9 24.32%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Treeleaf T-Shirt Project (The Poll)

Doh! Ireland West I meant!
    Myozan Kodo
    Ordained Soto Zen Priest in Training
    Dublin, Ireland

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.
    "Here the way unfolds."

Yes "All of life is our temple" is the proper motto of this place, though that includes all life too.

Hmmm, I am pretty good with Koans, which sometimes have more than one answer. So, would the solution be to have more than one t-shirt?

Anyway, what is the Buddha T-shirt one can never take off or put on ... never gets dirty, yet must always be kept clean?

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

#SAT TODAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    I was just looking to see which design was in the lead and noticed that the design is still not our motto. It says "All Life is Our Temple", not "All of life is our temple". It's really not that different, but what's there made me think I'd be "saying" to those viewing the shirt that we believe in inhabiting all life forms.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Ah, yeah, about that. I think if I wore a shirt that said "All Life is Our Temple" in my neighborhood, I'd probably be mistaken for an anti-abortion activist. It's pretty close to "All Life is Sacred."

Actually, I don't understand why we've changed the graceful simplicity of "Life is our Temple." Imagine if Douglas Adams's book was suddenly called "All of Life, the Universe, and Everything." Pretty unnecessary, no?

Gassho

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post
    Ah, yeah, about that. I think if I wore a shirt that said "All Life is Our Temple" in my neighborhood, I'd probably be mistaken for an anti-abortion activist. It's pretty close to "All Life is Sacred."

Actually, I don't understand why we've changed the graceful simplicity of "Life is our Temple." Imagine if Douglas Adams's book was suddenly called "All of Life, the Universe, and Everything." Pretty unnecessary, no?

Gassho

Jen
    i tend to agree. i love the quote
    life is our temple. it was a perfect representation of how i feel about treeleaf.

Gassho, Dojin.
    I gained nothing at all from supreme enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called supreme enlightenment
    - the Buddha

Looks like the 'slogan' design was the winner. I am still shocked we had a three-way tie for second.

I'll ask Kyonin to fix the slogan before we post the final 'print ready' version.

I'm sure to hear many opinions for opening this question up, but grey or black?

Gassho,
    Chris

Grey with green logo.

Gassho
    Gary
    Drinking tea and eating rice.

I'm with Gary, grey with a green logo (Life is Our Temple) sounds perfect!

Gassho,

Lisa

Blog Entries
    Grey with green logo.
    ditto
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    Just another itinerant monk going nowhere; try somewhere else to listen to someone who really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    ditto
    Double ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post
    Now that you mention it! Please discuss it at our Teaparty, with the other Teapartyists! Hey, that can have another meaning in America too!

By the way, I am thinking to make this our new Treeleaf symbol, and maybe we can put this on our shirts:

The one on the left even has that hand salute to go with it.

Yes, we should combine all these perhaps ... a Swastika surrounded by the slogans "come to our teaparty" "Zen monks are skinheads" and "unbirth begins at conception". **

Gassho, J

PS - For those unfamiliar with The Swastika Symbol in Buddhism ...

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhis...s/swastika.htm

PPS ** Not implying that "Pro Life" and "Teaparty" folks are to be associated with those other folks ... just making a funny.
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-02-2012 at 01:31 AM.

#SAT TODAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Grey with green logo.

Gassho
    Gary
    Oh yah, very nice.

Gassho,
    Michael

Too late to vote in the poll, but I like 1 best, though green on gray sounds even better.

Hi everyone,
    And a winner there is! (The one I like the least, as it happens ... good training here for me! )

So, looks like Kyonin is going to tweak the motto wording and do up a green on gray version ... right?

Then it's pricing the shirt. After that we'll have to:

1: Decide on the percentage for charity and add that to the cost.
    2: Decide the charity.
    3: Take orders.
    4: Take payments (including shipping costs), order and print.
    5: Then Chris will ship in N. America and I'll ship in Europe.
    6: Make a payment to charity to close the circle for this year on this.

Maybe we could start again in 2013 or 2014 with four whole new designs and another charity.

Sound about right?

Gassho
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 07-02-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Myozan Kodo
    Dublin, Ireland

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.
    "Here the way unfolds."

Sounds about right. ;-)

Ron

Shugen
    As a priest in training, please take everything I say with a pinch of salt

Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo View Post
    2: Decide the charity.
    I think the poll thing worked well. Maybe we could decide on say 3-5 charities and then start a new thread/poll for them? I've supported Save the Children in the past and followed their efforts for some time now and they are maybe a candidate for the list.

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

I think maybe the charity should be something environmental. since treeleaf is is actually a tree leaf... i think it would be fitting.
    also i think not enough is being done to save our planet so it might be a good idea.

Gassho, Dojin.
    I gained nothing at all from supreme enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called supreme enlightenment
    - the Buddha

Blog Entries
    I'd go along with Dojin on the charity and'
    While considering #s 3 and 4 could we throw Paypal into the mix.
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    Just another itinerant monk going nowhere; try somewhere else to listen to someone who really knows.

Um, is there going to be a short time limit on ordering and paying, may I ask? I'm really on a tight budget right now, but don't want to miss out, either. I second Shokai's request for PayPal as well, or email money transfer would work even better, as I wouldn't have to do 3 transfers, and pay the added costs for that.

Gassho,

Lisa

While I can't say with certainty, I would guess that we'd employ Paypal for the shirt transactions. As for the length of the offering, it will likely be brief. No one at this point has decided how long to keep the order open.

Gassho,
    Chris

I received my inkin bell in a yellow bag COVERED in swastikas and my wife was like Ummm your cult went from boring to scary very fast... I had to admit I was a bit set back too but I did know the symbol was common in Buddhism...I have also seen quilts with the same symbol as its main pattern...

Sorry OT I know :S

On the T-shirt topic im glad a design was mostly agreed upon

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Now that you mention it! Please discuss it at our Teaparty, with the other Teapartyists! Hey, that can have another meaning in America too!

By the way, I am thinking to make this our new Treeleaf symbol, and maybe we can put this on our shirts:

Yes, we should combine all these perhaps ... a Swastika surrounded by the slogans "come to our teaparty" "Zen monks are skinheads" and "unbirth begins at conception". **

Gassho, J

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhis...s/swastika.htm

PPS ** Not implying that "Pro Life" and "Teaparty" folks are to be associated with those other folks ... just making a funny.

Gassho, J

]http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/symbols/swastika.htm

Thank you for this Jundo, I almost spit tea on the monitor.
    --Washu
    和 Harmony
    秀 Excellence

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" George Carlin Roshi

I like white shirts. Even ordered some for the band once, thinking "everyone make's black shirts". I found out that there is a reason for that.
    My ego is really attached to the buttons and mouse pads, and who's self identity doesn't want a coffee cup with the words "Half Full Cup of Emptiness" written on it? But at last, removing thoughts of "I" (except for the shirt my "I" really wants a shirt!) perhaps Myozan & Jundo are right. Again.

(Not about baseball of course....)

On the subject of charities, we might look inside the Dharma network of engaged Buddhism to find a cause we can support. The Tzu Chi Foundation is probably the largest Buddhist charity group. There's also Buddhist Global Relief which focuses on making sure we are all fed. Or the young Monk I mentioned from my recent retreat who has established schools in Nepal, primarily for young mothers. (when I say young I mean between 15 and 18 years of age, typically) I know you can donate directly to his cause through Canadian Engaged Buddhists. According to him $700.00 U.S. dollars will pay a years salary for one teacher and furnish a classroom. I'm sure there are countless other's, but I thought I'd throw these out there to get the discussion going.

Here's a pretty solid list outside of the ones mentioned above.
    http://www.fpmt.org/projects/fpmt.html

If I may drop in a preference ...

I would not mind if the money went to a general, respected A+ charity that helps people in need, is not particularly religiously or politically connected, and international to respect all our many cultures.

Might I suggest something like DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS/Médecins Sans Frontières?

http://www.msf.org/

You can see directly where they put their efforts.

Very highly rated for such factors as financial responsibility (that they don't overuse donations for administrative or fundraising costs, salaries etc.) and other factors ... and few charities can claim that, unfortunately ...

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=3628

Gassho, Jundo

#SAT TODAY!

Hi Jundo,
    I am a big fan of MSF. But shouldn't we have a shortlist of good charities and run a poll on this too? What do you think?
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Myozan Kodo
    Dublin, Ireland

"Here the way unfolds."

Hi Myozan,

Yes, this is fine, but when it comes to something as sensitive as where money connected to Treeleaf (even though technically not directly) will be going, I would like Taigu and me to have some small bit of "veto power" over the "short list" before it is put up for a vote. Generally, it should not be particularly religiously or politically connected, and should be international to reflect the diversity of this group. I would also like to keep the focus on A or A+ rated (for financial responsibility, efficient use of funds, low overhead and fundraising costs etc.) charities.

I hope you understand the reasons for that bit of financial oversight.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-11-2012 at 12:09 AM.

#SAT TODAY!

If I may drop in a preference ...

I would not mind if the money went to a general, respected A+ charity that helps people in need, is not particularly religiously or politically connected, and international to respect all our many cultures.

Might I suggest something like DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS/Médecins Sans Frontières?

http://www.msf.org/

You can see directly where they put their efforts.

Very highly rated for such factors as financial responsibility (that they don't overuse donations for administrative or fundraising costs, salaries etc.) and other factors ... and few charities can claim that, unfortunately ...

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=3628

Gassho, Jundo
    I think that doctors without borders is probably a great charity to choose. probably what i would of voted for.
    greenpeace would probably be a good bet too but it seems they became too political lately and definitely try to lobby for some political causes quite extensively.

Gassho, Dojin.
    - the Buddha

Hi Jundo,
    I agree with what you say. I also would vote for MSF.

Maybe people could PM suggestions to me and I could run them by you before Chris puts up a poll on it? If we settled, say, on a short list of three or four.

The poll would give people a say in where the money goes, while vetting the list would ensure only legitimate and well managed organisation could win.

Is this the way to go?

Gassho
    Myozan
    Myozan Kodo
    Dublin, Ireland

"Here the way unfolds."