Thread: New homepage message by Jundo

New homepage message by Jundo

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that we have a new video message by Jundo on our new homepage.

If you want to watch it, please go to http://www.treeleaf.org/

And since you will be there already, please take a look to the new site and let me know what you think.

Thanks!
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Kyonin,

It looks great...like much in this practice...words cannot capture its essence. It just is...beautiful.

Gassho,
    Dosho

disastermouse
    I fucking LOVE the newbie message. It's a little bizarre, but it's also really what this place is.

It's all looking really good

Gassho

Willow

disastermouse
    I didn't mean the message was bizarre - I meant that it was bizarre to have a message because it seems to me that most people who find their way here would know a bit of what Zen is. I reserve the right to be totally wrong, though.

Chet

Hi.

_/\_

Spooky about the videos after, i only see one of Jundo, the rest is others... hmm...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

The ZEN TALKS & TEACHINGS link on the homepage goes to an old forum page.

It's fixed! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    The ZEN TALKS & TEACHINGS link on the homepage goes to an old forum page.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    I saw the video yesterday ... I like it very much, great job Jundo

Gassho,
    Michael

I also liked the video. It conveys a lot of the 'flavor' at Treeleaf as Chet mentioned.

Can't wait to see the others.

Gassho,
    Chris

It is a clear, funny and useful vid, it really would make a newbie ( like me )want to explore everything Thanks again for all the hard work, Treeleaf´s engineers

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Looks fantasic everyone has done a great job. _/\_

A couple of thoughts

1. on the page http://www.treeleaf.org/for-new-come...bout-treeleaf/ it is playing the May 5th Zazenkai is that the expected video?
    2. Is there a way to have the google calendar embed notice what time zone you are in and adjust itsself accordingly by geoIP, or for there to be a drop down so you can select your time zone?
    --Washu
    和 Harmony
    秀 Excellence

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" George Carlin Roshi

I think it's great... The site is so damned sleek and sexy now.

Quote Originally Posted by threethirty View Post
    Looks fantasic everyone has done a great job. _/\_

A couple of thoughts

1. on the page http://www.treeleaf.org/for-new-come...bout-treeleaf/ it is playing the May 5th Zazenkai is that the expected video?
    2. Is there a way to have the google calendar embed notice what time zone you are in and adjust itsself accordingly by geoIP, or for there to be a drop down so you can select your time zone?
    I can respond to question 1. The "guided tour with Taigu" video is now being written, filmed and edited by our in-house Fellini ... Mongen. Hope to have it ready during this month.

Unlike the real Fellini, there will be no Roman orgy scenes or the like. Roman orgies are one "new feature" we decided not to include as part of Treeleaf 2.0.

Also, Hans Mongen is a German film maker, so expect more Wim Wenders or Fassbinder than Fellini.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-18-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I think is an excellent work.
    Thanks to Kyonin and other sangha members that made it possible.
    Only a request. I did not find the link to the timer of the zendo (that with the virtual incense…it is great!!! ), so I use a complicated way using old links to found it.
    Maybe it should be more visible.
    Gassho
    Senryu
    Please forgive any mistake in my writing. Like in Zen, in English I am only a beginner.

I love the video. It's very friendly and not at all scary or intimidating, which is great for new people like me who might be a little afraid of saying or doing the wrong thing or feeling silly being too formal or not formal enough, if you know what I mean. Very approachable and welcoming.

+1 on the new video
    Ho (Dharma)
    Yu (Hot Water)

This is probably the wrong place to put this but where did the zazen timers go? I cannot find them.

Quote Originally Posted by charst46 View Post
    This is probably the wrong place to put this but where did the zazen timers go? I cannot find them.
    Hi,

I am trying to recall all the decisions that were made along the way to our new webpage (Chris, Shohei, Dokan?), but I think it was felt that there were so many better and more available alternatives these days ... for the computer or phone ... that they were not worth preserving. The computer coding for them, in my limited understanding, was held together with spit and duct tape.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yes, the flash components to the old site which included the Zazen timer have been retired. They were quite dated and we were no longer able to support them sufficiently.

Charst46, if you can let me know what you might be looking for, I can give you several options. Like Jundo said, there are some great options for smart phone owners out there. But if you are looking for something online, I'm sure we can some up with a solution.

Gassho,
    Chris

I understand what Chars says. The timers are a good idea for some people like me, who don't own a smart phone, but are able to play MP3.

I recorded my own audio timers with bell at the beginning and end, with silence in the middle.

Also, I have the original Treeleaf audio timers in ca

What if we just post audio timers on the main site?
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Actually, I believe we decided to keep the timers, but that they would not be a main part of the site; hidden away, but still linked in some way to the main site. I argued for retaining them because a significant number of new members have mentioned that they found Treeleaf because they were doing a Google search for "Zazen Timers". I know they are archaic (in today's computer speak, that means about 5 years!) but some do not have iPhones with cool timers...myself among them.

Gassho,
    Dosho

We could embed a few mp3 tracks? No?
    Gassho
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Actually, I believe we decided to keep the timers, but that they would not be a main part of the site; hidden away, but still linked in some way to the main site. I argued for retaining them because a significant number of new members have mentioned that they found Treeleaf because they were doing a Google search for "Zazen Timers". I know they are archaic (in today's computer speak, that means about 5 years!) but some do not have iPhones with cool timers...myself among them.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    That is the way I actually landed over here I think that there could be a link for them in the main page, I know flash is no more cutting edge technology, but it seems pretty useful to me anyway, besides, I realy liked the animated zazen timers :P Mp3 links would be cool too.

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

The timer brought me here too. But a different argument for the timer is the way I used it...Due to family opposition, I would sit in the morning after getting to work. Employers often have restrictions on website access for employees, and most 'streaming video' sites, for instance, are blocked. This little timer with the candle burning was the only way I had to use some kind of siitting tool, since I ddn't have a smart phone then either. With the objective of allowing the widest possible audience, there might be others out there that have to access Treeleaf from work, or library, or other public computers, and so a timer that works with that kind of setting would be useful. Gassho, Ann/Josho

Sounds like it was a hit. I've never used it, but I see a lot of people have. Let me see if there's a way that we can update it or provide a similar resource. It might take me a little time to do this.

Gassho,
    Chris