Thread: Today's Sit

Today's Sit

I'm not quite sure what to call this if anything but would appreciate the opinions of my brothers and sisters in the Dharma and, of course, from Rev. Jundo or Taigu. I have become familiar with the mind's wriggling like a fish out of water during zazen and have entrusted the entire process to the posture, trying to open the fist of the mind when it closes tightly and I forget myself. Today, however, for the first time since I began this practice again I seemed to have stumbled upon a safe port in the storm---I stumbled into a present moment that was peaceful and yet completely ordinary. I don't want to dress it up too much because as soon as it appeared it was was out again by the torrential downpour of thoughts and mental proliferation but I feel as if I know what to look for now in the spaces between breathes and thoughts...any thoughts? Thank you everyone for helping to create this community and be well!

Gassho,

Mike

Re: Today's Sit

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi
    I'm not quite sure what to call this if anything but would appreciate the opinions of my brothers and sisters in the Dharma and, of course, from Rev. Jundo or Taigu. I have become familiar with the mind's wriggling like a fish out of water during zazen and have entrusted the entire process to the posture, trying to open the fist of the mind when it closes tightly and I forget myself. Today, however, for the first time since I began this practice again I seemed to have stumbled upon a safe port in the storm---I stumbled into a present moment that was peaceful and yet completely ordinary. I don't want to dress it up too much because as soon as it appeared it was was out again by the torrential downpour of thoughts and mental proliferation but I feel as if I know what to look for now in the spaces between breathes and thoughts...any thoughts? Thank you everyone for helping to create this community and be well!

Gassho,

Mike
    Any thoughts? Yes! ....... and Non-thought too! 8)

In Zazen, one will experience, lose one's 'self' and all the mind's thinking this and that, in the Bright Clear Boundless Open Mirror-Sky between and behind clouds of thoughts and emotions!

viewtopic.php?p=41801#p41801

However, (in our way of Shikantaza) don't then start thinking that this "Clear Clear Clear" is the one place where you need to run to, hide or stay (some forms of meditation emphasize staying in such places, or in even more removed states of Samadhi) ... because the sky is always present even with the clouds, and one must come to see the Bright, Clear, Boundless Sky behind/between/in/right-though-and-through/as the clouds of thoughts and emotions themselves, SkyClouds not two, experienced as translucent and not entrapping. :wink:

Also, Zazen each day will be its own scene ... all Glorious in its way ... as we discussed here:

Here is something about our Soto way of sitting which we must remember ...

Momentless moments such as Jigetsu describes are Priceless Treasures, and we must cherish them and learn from them. One is in the Zoneless Zone.

But on this Shikantaza walk down the Pathless Path, every step is a Total Arrival, and the Whole Hike is the Finish Line. Every inch of changing scenery is also a Priceless Treasure, a Diamond in its own way. The parking lot at the start of the hike, the beautiful and ugly, the exciting and dull, and those moments when we experience the Mountain and the Mountaineer as One ... all Precious. One keeps moving forward though no place to go ... and the scenery keeps changing though the Mountain is Timeless.

That is why, Jigetsu, what was experienced with the little Buddha on the nightstand was a Priceless Treasure, and you must cherish that sitting and never forget it.

And then, keeping on down the road, cherish ALL the sittings, the memorable and forgetable, each one a Priceless Treasure in its way.

Gassho, J
    viewtopic.php?p=77183#p77183

Rev. Jundo,

Smoehow I knew it wouldn't be that simple and tidy...or perhaps it's so simple that it continues to escape my mind addicted to fabrications. Maha-metta.

__/__
    Gassho,

Mike

Everyone wants to be accepted, approved, validated. Always had aproblem with rejection. So whether 10000 thoughts arise or no thoughts arise its acceptable. Just continue practiciing.

Thanks Rich.
    __/__
    Gassho,

Mike