Thread: A very interesting sit.

A very interesting sit.

Good evening Sangha!

I've been out of pocket for a bit, no problems, just busy with being a husband, father, and employee. The night before last, I sat in front of a new wooden statue of the Buddha that I picked up for my impromptu nightstand shrine.

I sat and let me eyes focus soften, however the outline of the meditating figure was a constant. It was a wonderfully peaceful sit. Halfway through, while watching the cloud thoughts pass through my mental blue sky I thought to myself very sincerely, "You know, I really love the Buddha." At that moment, my eyes welled up with what I can only describe as love and gratitude, and I even shed a tear or two.

If I may quote our beloved teacher Jundo, "Zazan is all of life, all of life is Zazen." I felt that deeply, and truthfully, and I wish it for you all.

Re: A very interesting sit.

Very touching revelation Jigetsu _/_

Thank you, Jigetsu.

They are all very magical, interesting sits ... whether seen or unseen as such. All Buddha, on the nightstand or off.

Gassho, Jundo

Jigetsu,

I am so happy for you, it is one of those unforgetable moments, isn't it?
    Well, I'm shedding some joyful tears for you, my friend.

Gassho,
    Ronald.

Buddham saranam gacchami!

Here is a traditional chant to reflect on the qualities of the Budhha:

Iti pi so bhagava araham sammasambuddho
    vijjacharana sampanno sugato lokavidu anuttaro
    purisa dhamma sarati satta deva manussanam
    buddho bhagava ti
    English commentary and transalation can be found here: http://www.beyondthenet.net/buddha/qualities.html

Also, if you would like to hear the above chanted in Pali you may find it here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...n3PckZq28VgofQ

Gassho,

Mike

Jigetsu,

Thank you for sharing, I recently had a similar experience during Zazen, I was overcome by deep feeling of joy and compassion but also feeling of contentment, safety, of being at home. I too shed a tear but you know as soon as I thought about what was happening the feeling was gone.
    Now before Zazen when I say the words "I take refuge in the Buddha, I take refuge in the Dharma, I take refuge in the Sangha" it now seems to have a deeper meaning.

Gassho
    Gary

Here is something about our Soto way of sitting which we must remember ...

Momentless moments such as Jigetsu describes are Priceless Treasures, and we must cherish them and learn from them. One is in the Zoneless Zone.

But on this Shikantaza walk down the Pathless Path, every step is a Total Arrival, and the Whole Hike is the Finish Line. Every inch of changing scenery is also a Priceless Treasure, a Diamond in its own way. The parking lot at the start of the hike, the beautiful and ugly, the exciting and dull, and those moments when we experience the Mountain and the Mountaineer as One ... all Precious. One keeps moving forward though no place to go ... and the scenery keeps changing though the Mountain is Timeless.

That is why, Jigetsu, what was experienced with the little Buddha on the nightstand was a Priceless Treasure, and you must cherish that sitting and never forget it.

And then, keeping on down the road, cherish ALL the sittings, the memorable and forgetable, each one a Priceless Treasure in its way.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi

buddho bhagava ti
    Thank you, Mike.

The Contemplation on the Qualities of the Buddha
    (Buddhanussati Bhavana)

"Thus indeed is the Blessed One, worthy & rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed."

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi

buddho bhagava ti
    Thank you, Mike.

The Contemplation on the Qualities of the Buddha
    (Buddhanussati Bhavana)

"Thus indeed is the Blessed One, worthy & rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed."

Gassho, Jundo
    __/__
    Gassho,

Mike

That is why, Jigetsu, what was experienced with the little Buddha on the nightstand was a Priceless Treasure, and you must cherish that sitting and never forget it.
    Every time I look at my statue, I instantly remember that sit. At the same time, I'm trying to not hold on to that moment. Which is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigetsu
    Every time I look at my statue, I instantly remember that sit. At the same time, I'm trying to not hold on to that moment. Which is difficult.
    Jigetsu,

Yes, it is difficult but I think it part of the process. This is just my $0.02 as a humble priest in training, but when I had been practicing about a year I had a similar experience that led to a moment of what my mind labeled as kensho. I felt like I had left my body for a moment or two...and I was very wrapped up in it for about 6 months and thought of it every day when I saw that spot on the wall. What I ultimately learned is getting caught in moments like this will only hinder your practice if you overthink them. But they are part of the process, which is just my opinion and Jundo will likely have a different take on it. Until you posted this thread I hadn't thought about it in...I don't know how long it's been...and I think that's good! I found myself trying to replicate that sit for those six months and it is very hard to let it go, but you must and you will. Every sitting, supposedly good or bad, is just perfectly what it is...nothing more, nothing less. And to paraphrase Aitken Roshi from my signature line, "Don't forget the moment by trying to forget about it." Just sit. Sounds so simple doesn't it, but I suspect you know better.

Now, go sit!

Gassho,
    Dosho

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    I found myself trying to replicate that sit for those six months and it is very hard to let it go, but you must and you will.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Isn't it funny? Couldn't you feel the immense hilarity of attempting to replicate what is only this experience right now but without the attempt to have it be different? I always find that funny when I catch myself in the middle of it...the practical joke of trying to possess the only thing you can never lose.

Gassho.

Chet

When I used to practice vipassana meditation, I was first taught to focus at the tip of the nose & then a few years later was taught to focus on the abdomen. I then went through a stage where I'd never be satisfied & would start swapping between the two.

When I started sitting shikantaza I found it very liberating not to have to choose. Then, during one sitting, it suddenly dawned on me that I didn't have to take a position on anything. I was not "inside" my body, looking out; I was not the birds I could hear outside or the wall I was facing & I was not not all these things either. At that moment, everything seemed so simple that I started laughing & welling up at the same time. I was on a high for the rest of the day.

Of course, I tried to replicate this, with no success, but have finally let go (I hope!) It's just a very pleasant memory now!

_/\_

Ade

Mp
    Thank you Jigetsu ... I have had this type of experience during Zazen, but have also had sadness come up to. Both were a beautiful experience.

Gassho,
    Michael

Yes those sits are very significant for our practice. They are a simple perfect moments that make everything take meaning.

Thank you for sharing your light with us.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post
    Isn't it funny? Couldn't you feel the immense hilarity of attempting to replicate what is only this experience right now but without the attempt to have it be different? I always find that funny when I catch myself in the middle of it...the practical joke of trying to possess the only thing you can never lose.

Chet
    Well said Chet,

Gassho,

Shawn

Thanks, Jigetsu. I certainly appreciate every aspect of this topic: the moment of intensity within zazen, the desire to retell it, the desire to release it instead of cling to it, the desire to retell the release of it, the... and on and on we go.
    Chris Seishi Amirault
    (ZenPedestrian)

I don't mean to be mean, but when that happens just drop it and move on.....

That's the practice I have come to know.....

The hard way.

When you love the Buddha, kill him.
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today