Thread: ALERT: TREELEAF GOING SILENT for SEVERAL DAYS from June 11th

ALERT: TREELEAF GOING SILENT for SEVERAL DAYS from June 11th

Our TREELEAF SANGHA FORUM & WEBSITE WILL BE CLOSED and UNAVAILABLE from around JUNE 11th to allow for a software upgrade, data move and the installation of new features upon OUR REBIRTH A FEW DAYS (probably 3 to 5 days) LATER!

And there is a very good reason:

The work is intended to make our Sangha more "user-non-user friendly", improve accessibility, availability of resources, mutual communication and understanding for both new members and old hands. We hope that these select changes, additions and software upgrades will make all our Sangha folks feel even more at home in this community, and make Treeleaf an even more welcoming, simpler to navigate and effective place for Zen Practice. Some of the changes and additions will be available immediately or soon after we "come back on the air". Other additions and new features will be phased in over the days and weeks thereafter. We will introduce the new features as they "come online", but we are sure most of you will like them and will find them helpful, envigorating to your Zen Practice, and often just plain "COOL!" 8)

SO, LET'S CONSIDER THOSE FEW DAYS AWAY A KIND OF 'SILENT RETREAT' AROUND HERE! :wink:

Taigu and I wish to thank the people who have been working so hard for weeks and months on this ... tirelessly and selflessly through often long hours, donating their professional skills and expertise ... locating, mastering and installing the new software, designing and redesigning the user interfaces, solving 1001 technical problems that came up along the way, especially Chris (ChristhatisChris), Morelos (Kyonin/Choco), Dokan and Shohei. I would also like to thank the other folks who have been involved in several accompanying projects happening as part of these changes, especially Yugen who is involved in so many things, Willow and the rest of the members of the "Engaged and Charitable Projects Committee", the "TREELEAF 2.0 Committee" and "Sticky Committee", and our novice priests Mongen the film maker, Fugen, Shinkai, Myozan and Dosho who were involved all through providing input.

THANK YOU! LET'S CELEBRATE THE COMING OF ....

... our TREELEAF 2.0 ... a small step on the road to the 3-D Holographic Zen Hall that I expect we will someday soon be!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3343
    [*] I will be reposting this notice several times in the coming days!

Gassho, Jundo (and Taigu too)

Re: ALERT: TREELEAF GOING SILENT for SEVERAL DAYS from June 11th

Aha, the technical advancements envisioned by Kojip just this morning, on another thread :lol:

In many cases, by the way, the changes are simplifying, reducing, emptying, going "less is more" in a Zenny way.

I think folks will like the slimmed down new look. The central theme was to try to make our Forum as open, simple and spacious as a Zen tea room.

I am not sure if we succeeded, but certainly it is a good step in that direction.

Gassho, J

I was just going to ask how everyone organizes group sits etc... so I could get int on it but I guess I should wait to see the new layout. Thank you all for your hard work and your practice! Mettaya.

Gassho,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi
    I was just going to ask how everyone organizes group sits etc... so I could get int on it but I guess I should wait to see the new layout. Thank you all for your hard work and your practice! Mettaya.

Gassho,

Mike
    There will be an easy to use daily calendar showing who is organizing group sits online and when that day, and how to "drop in" and join them.

There will also be more regularly scheduled Zazenkai and more informal sittings led by our priests and novices, plus these will soon become "two way" video sittings where all sitters (if they want, not all need) can see each other and the sitting organizers during the sittings (unlike the "one way" format of our present Zazenkai).

However, I think you can find folks organizing online sits even now if you ask around.

Gassho, J

Rev. J,

Awesome! I can't wait and hopefully will see this post and clue me in on the current sittings.

Gassho,

Mike

Gassho,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

You can sit with us any time, any where on g+. Read all about it here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4564

See you soon,

Gary

Mp

Wow ... fantastic! Thank you Jundo, Taigu, and all the wonderful Sangha members for helping make TreeLeaf 2.0 possible.

Jundo ... I love your quote

user-non-user friendly
    Being a web developer this really made me smile.

Gassho,
    Michael

Change?!?!?! What????? NO, NO, and NO!
    Insert (fake) temper tanturm here :evil:
    I like things the way they are (said in whiny voice).
    Whimper, whimper.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Every time Facebook changes there are all sorts of whiny posts like that, so I wanted to get mine in early :mrgreen: because, surely, we won't react that way. Will me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary

Gassho,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

You can sit with us any time, any where on g+. Read all about it here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4564

See you soon,

Gary
    Gary,

Thanks!

Gassho,

Mike

I look forward to Tree Leaf 2.0!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLa
    Change?!?!?! What????? NO, NO, and NO!
    Insert (fake) temper tanturm here :evil:
    I like things the way they are (said in whiny voice).
    Whimper, whimper.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Every time Facebook changes there are all sorts of whiny posts like that, so I wanted to get mine in early :mrgreen: because, surely, we won't react that way. Will me.
    Yes, we'll be rolling out a timeline . . . or no-time line, if you will . . . :lol:

Myoshin

Great but some sections will be closed or we will always have acces to the information on this version? like buddha basic, miscelanous words, etc?

Exciting times......thanks to all developing Treeleaf 2.0. Gassho.

It will all be available on the new system too.

Gassho,
    Chris

Woohoo! Looking forward to it!

I'll have something to look non-forward to after jury duty!

Well there goes rule #1 :lol:

Looking forward to 2.0! Special thanks to all our resident computer geniuses for their hard work!

Gassho,
    Hoyu

Looking forward to seeing the new and improved version. But I have to admit it will feel strange not being able to communicate on Treeleaf for a few days! It will make the heart grow fonder during that time

Gassho,
    Ekai

Our upgrade is featured today at SweepingZen ...

http://sweepingzen.com/

I suppose it does have some implications for "the future of Zen Practice" beyond just being a "software upgrade". 8)

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Our upgrade is featured today at SweepingZen ...

http://sweepingzen.com/

I suppose it does have some implications for "the future of Zen Practice" beyond just being a "software upgrade". 8)

Gassho, J
    Heartfelt thanks to all techno treeleaf members working on this.

'software upgrade' :?: or to plagiarise Neil Armstrong 'that's one small step for treeleaf, one giant step for maknkind' :wink:

Gassho

Willow

I really can't wait to see the changes; I know you guys have put in a lot of work.

Gassho,

Risho

Quote Originally Posted by Risho
    I really can't wait to see the changes; I know you guys have put in a lot of work.

Gassho,

Risho
    Hey Risho,

Well, most of the changes will actually be quite subtle, and some will come a bit later than our return. Many of the changes are just in the software, and the hidden part of the programming for a forum and webpage that can't be seen (but is the inner machinery of this place). It will still be Treeleaf Community Forum, not so radically different from what we have now.

Gassho, J

Ah ok... I was thinking Treeleaf looks really snazzy as it is. I work as a programmer, so I usually do the "plumbing" of applications. You only really know that I did anything if my code stops working. hahaahah

Jundo wrote:
    It will still be Treeleaf Community Forum, not so radically different from what we have now.
    Not so radically different from what we have now. Which, by it's very nature....is already quite radically different!

Gassho,
    Hoyu

... the 3-D Holographic Zen Hall...
    Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope! Sorry, I couldn't resist :mrgreen:

I am looking/non-looking forward to the new digs. Gassho to everyone who has been working so hard on this project.

Julia

Thank you Jundo and to everyone involved for making this happen.

Will all present members automatically be registered at the "new site", or will we need to re-register?

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillos
    Will all present members automatically be registered at the "new site", or will we need to re-register?

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill
    Great question Kyrillos.

The answer is no. We will be transferring the accounts from here to the new site. However, we most likely will not be able to preserve the passwords, so we plan to sent out an email from the new system requesting members to reset their password. This mail will also include a link to the new system as it will be in a slightly different space than it currently is.

One of the things I ask everyone to do now is to check to make sure your email address is in this system accurately so we will be able to use it to contact you from the new system.

Thanks for all the support for the new site!

Gassho,
    Chris

Thank you all for your efforts! I'm looking forward to the "new" Treeleaf.

bows,
    Kelly/Jinmei

As a first little taste of TREELEAF 2.0, I just posted this notice with our this week's Zazenkai ...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5025&p=77246#p77246

And, after last evening's crackling and popping during Dokan's lovely Shakuhachi ... and other recent technical non-difficulties ...

... just out of the box ...A NEW COMPUTER!

I carried it home from the store just after sending Dokan off to his plane back to America. This new laptop should have more than enough capacity to handle our new Hi-Definition Camera (donated to us a few weeks ago) and our Samson Microphone, which seem to have together overloaded the old workhorse. The new machine will be dedicated exclusively to our netcasts, and not have any other role or software on it. I have spent much of this afternoon installing and setting up, so we should be ready to go! All is testing fine. Both picture and sound should be crystal clear from today.

This is a first step on our TREELEAF 2.0 project next week.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5011

Soon after our return, we will also move to TWO-WAY VIDEO for our ZAZENKAI'S ... SEE EACH OTHER, SEE AS ONE ... as explained here ...

[youtube] [/youtube]

I believe that this change, perhaps for our very next Zazenkai next week (or the week after, as I am still learning how to do it), will REVOLUTIONIZE how we come together and experience ZAZENKAI AS A COMMUNITY! (Thank you Kyonin).

I also plan to have a COMMUNITY 'KUYO' MEMORIAL SERVICE upon our return, expressing gratitude and putting to a peaceful rest our old computer ... and remembering so many other bits of hardware and software that have served this Treeleaf Sangha over the years ("Kuyo" is actually a traditional ceremony in Japanese Buddhism, to remember old tools and such) ... so please look forward and join us for that.

Gassho, Jundo

great!

gassho
    gilles

Anybody have a recommendation for a webcam? Do the cheap Logitech cams work?

Guess than means no more breaks for beer and wings during kinhin...

Gassho, kojip.

Quote Originally Posted by richss
    Hi Rich,

I have always found the Logitech cameras pretty dependable, clear enough.

Around here ... you get spiritual AND tech advice! 8)

Gassho, J

Mp

Hello Rich,

I use an iMac which has the built in iSight, but is problematic with Google +. So, I use a Logitech HD C615 on a PC and it works fantastic ... it is very nice, as it has a built in mic and 360 degree swivel, so allows you to place it anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Gassho,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by ecoist
    Hello Rich,

I use an iMac which has the built in iSight, but is problematic with Google +. So, I use a Logitech HD C615 on a PC and it works fantastic ... it is very nice, as it has a built in mic and 360 degree swivel, so allows you to place it anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Gassho,
    Michael
    I've have cams built into both my iPhone and iPad, but they do not appear to be supported by the Google+ crew (hmm...wonder why :-/)

Quote Originally Posted by Kojip
    Guess than means no more breaks for beer and wings during kinhin...

Gassho, kojip.
    :lol:

Ron

(I have an iMac as well and seem to have almost no problems using the built in camera on Google Plus. The iPhone, iPad is a little trickier. There should be a Google Plus thread around here somewhere that explains it better but I believe that on the iPhone/iPad you can join a "Hangout" already in progress but can't start a new one that will show up in "the Stream". You can start a "Hangout" in the "Messenger" function but it does not show up in "the stream". Or something like that. :wink: )

If you are having trouble with Google+ on your Mac, you might try using Google Chrome as your web browser. I also use Firefox, but I feel the integration in Chrome is better for this.

Hope that helps. Gassho,
    Chris

Mp

Quote Originally Posted by rculver

Ron

(I have an iMac as well and seem to have almost no problems using the built in camera on Google Plus. The iPhone, iPad is a little trickier. There should be a Google Plus thread around here somewhere that explains it better but I believe that on the iPhone/iPad you can join a "Hangout" already in progress but can't start a new one that will show up in "the Stream". You can start a "Hangout" in the "Messenger" function but it does not show up in "the stream". Or something like that. :wink: )
    This is encouraging news ... I use an iMac with the Chrome browser and I always get a Code 3 error when I try to start a Hangout. You could tell me what version of OS you are running?

Gassho,
    Michael

I'm on 10.6.8 of MacOS

I use Safari and am running Mac OS X 10.7.4

I really don't know anything about computers BTW in case what I just typed is wrong.

Ron

Shugen

Try using Firefox or Chrome and see if it makes any difference. I'm not a terribly big fan of Safari, but still it shouldn't be a stumbling point.

Michael: I'm not sure what's going on with your browser. You might try dumping all of the cache and giving it another whirl. You could also make sure your running the most current version to make sure that's not creating an issue.

Good luck and Gassho,
    Chris

Mp

Hello Chris and Ron,

Thanks for helping me out ... I running 10.6.8 as well as latest version of Chrome, but have tested on Safari, Firefox, and Opera. I think it might be more related to the installed of Google Talk (as I have seen some threads on that) ... but, I am happy to hear there is success.

Ron ... seem you know more about computers then you think. You gave the right info.

Gassho,
    Michael

I have a Genius web cam and it does the job. It's old, so my resolution is terrible, but it's still rolling.

It was very cheap too!

Hi Rich,

I have always found the Logitech cameras pretty dependable, clear enough.

Around here ... you get spiritual AND tech advice! 8)

Gassho, J

So, umm, when I click on the forum tomorrow will I experience emptiness? :mrgreen:

Good luck with the transition. Hopefully we will see the site up sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLa
    So, umm, when I click on the forum tomorrow will I experience emptiness? :mrgreen:
    :lol:

Gassho,
    Ekai

Good luck with the transition guys and thanks for you contributions and efforts

Daido