Thread: May 26th, 2012 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai ... with Sada

May 26th, 2012 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai ... with Sada

Hello All,

MINA IS AWAY FOR AN AI-KI-DO EVENT, SO I BRING OUR 1 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, SADA, TO CHANTING AND ZAZEN TODAY ... SMOOTHLY COMBINING ROLES AS ZAZEN LEADER AND "DAD". EASY AS CHILD'S PLAY! ALL JUST ZAZEN!

TODAY'S "BABY" SITTING WILL BE ABBREVIATED ... TO OUR HEART SUTRA RECITATION, ONE PERIOD OF ZAZEN, A SHORT KINHIN, AND THE VERSE OF ATONEMENT/FOUR VOWS ...

PLEASE SIT AN ADDITIONAL PERIOD OF ZAZEN ON YOUR OWN TODAY.

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE from 9am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 8pm, Los Angeles 5pm (Friday night), London 1am and Paris 2am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible at the following link during those times ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at JUSTIN.TV:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

http://www.justin.tv/treeleafzen

But FEAR NOT if not possible for you to join 'live' in your location at those times, as the entire sitting is recorded in 'REAL TIME' and available for full participation 'on demand' at any time after that, no different from the 'live' sitting :

'REAL TIME' recorded 'ANY TIME' version link is here:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

[youtube] [/youtube]

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English ONLY) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:50 KINHIN
    00:50 – 00:55 FOUR VOWS, & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

PLEASE SIT AN ADDITIONAL PERIOD OF ZAZEN ON YOUR OWN TODAY.

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for 30 minutes each, with (usually) 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the words of the Chants we will recite at the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2231

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

Re: May 26th, 2012 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai ... with Sada

Wonderful! Will sada be giving the dharma talk?

Will be there/here....

Gassho, kojip.

It will be awesome to hava little Sada with us.

I'll be there

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Wonderful! Will sada be giving the dharma talk?
    I think she always does - see Koan #1

I'll be there!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Yugen

May 26th, 2012 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai ... with Sada

I will be there as well!

Gassho
    Yugen

I am so excited to sit with Sada too. So cute! My husband is out of town so maybe I can try to sit the live Zazenkai with Hunter running around.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Excellent

I just downloaded the iPad app for Justin and the app can't find Treeleaf. Has anyone else experienced this?

Gassho,
    Ekai

Never mind, I finally got it to work!

My thanks to Jundo, Sada, and all who sat, are sitting, or will sit...deep bows!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you, Gassho..

kojip

Great sitting Thank all of you and have a great weekend

Gassho

Yugen

Thank you all! Gassho

Yugen

Wonderful Zazenkai! Thank you Jundo Sensei and all fellow sitters! Also, special thank you to Dosho for leading Zazen while in wait. Truly a great Unsui!

Gassho,
    Hoyu

Jundo had it way too easy with Sada :lol: . Hunter was completely opposite :shock: . He was jumping all over the couch, trying to reach for the iPad to play Curious George, ramming his riding rocket into his toys, dumping his toys all over the living room floor, yelling at the top of lungs, had me change the DVD from Toy Story 3 to Cars 2 ( yes, Cars 2 was playing in the background ) and kept getting into our other DVDs. This was throughout the entire Zazenkai and it was great!

When Jundo was out of sight during his extra Kinhin with Sada, Hunter noticed and said "broken! "

Thanks for sitting everyone.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Thank you, Jundo. It was nice to see Sada-chan!

While everyone was sitting zazen I sneaked up and took this picture of the Hangout

Thanks all who sat / will sit. Have a great weekend!

Yugen

Looks like that guy in the photo needs the Kyosaku! :lol:

Reminds me of Taisen Deshimaru's experience with the Kyosaku, which I share below - I think you will enjoy it!

After hearing that the essence of Mahayana Buddhism was to be found in Zen, I went to the Engakuji Temple, a Rinzai Temple, in Kamakura for a sesshin. We got up every morning at 2 A.M. and did zazen until 6 A.M. And at night there was no sleeping. We did zazen outside with the mosquitoes. And then the kyosaku - I received the stick from morning until night, and my body had turned all red. Five days went by. I kept my patience. But then, on the sixth day, the Kyosaku-man, who must have been sleepy like everyone else, hit me with the stick - not on the shoulders, but on the top of the head. I got angry and jumped up and hit him back. We fought. Now, in Rinzai Temples, as everyone faces each other while in zazen, they all saw the fight. Everyone jumped up in order to stop me. But I was a champion swordsman at the time, and I had no difficulty keeping them off me. Of course, this has nothing to do with religion; it is just violence. Anyway, I had had enough, and so I went off to see the Master - who was in his room sleeping - and I woke him up and told him that I wished to leave, that I wanted to stop zazen. I told him all about the incident which had just taken place, and he laughed. “In the history of Zen,” the Master said, “no one but you has ever attacked the Kyosaku-man.”

In fact, this incident became famous - so much so that Japanese Rinzai monks were scared of me. And my own Master, Kodo Sawaki, would always warn the Kyosaku-man, “Watch out for Deshimaru when you hit him.” Consequently, everyone was afraid of me, and so I never got the kyosaku during zazen. The Kyosaku-men always kept clear of me. This is not so good. Later I came to regret that all this had happened.

Gassho
    Yugen

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen
    Reminds me of Taisen Deshimaru's experience with the Kyosaku, which I share below - I think you will enjoy it!

After hearing that the essence of Mahayana Buddhism was to be found in Zen, I went to the Engakuji Temple, a Rinzai Temple, in Kamakura for a sesshin. We got up every morning at 2 A.M. and did zazen until 6 A.M. And at night there was no sleeping. We did zazen outside with the mosquitoes. And then the kyosaku - I received the stick from morning until night, and my body had turned all red. Five days went by. I kept my patience. But then, on the sixth day, the Kyosaku-man, who must have been sleepy like everyone else, hit me with the stick - not on the shoulders, but on the top of the head. I got angry and jumped up and hit him back. We fought. Now, in Rinzai Temples, as everyone faces each other while in zazen, they all saw the fight. Everyone jumped up in order to stop me. But I was a champion swordsman at the time, and I had no difficulty keeping them off me. Of course, this has nothing to do with religion; it is just violence. Anyway, I had had enough, and so I went off to see the Master - who was in his room sleeping - and I woke him up and told him that I wished to leave, that I wanted to stop zazen. I told him all about the incident which had just taken place, and he laughed. “In the history of Zen,” the Master said, “no one but you has ever attacked the Kyosaku-man.”

In fact, this incident became famous - so much so that Japanese Rinzai monks were scared of me. And my own Master, Kodo Sawaki, would always warn the Kyosaku-man, “Watch out for Deshimaru when you hit him.” Consequently, everyone was afraid of me, and so I never got the kyosaku during zazen. The Kyosaku-men always kept clear of me. This is not so good. Later I came to regret that all this had happened.

Gassho
    Yugen
    [youtube] [/youtube]

Mp

Wonderful sitting ... Sada is a natural!

Gassho,
    Michael

Thank you all.

With gratitude,
    Gary

Birdies and a baby! What a great sit.

Gassho

Jen

Best baby zazenkai ever :mrgreen: Was that a Loyola shirt I saw? I went to Loyola University Chicago. Go Ramblers!

Gassho

Risho

Thank you all!

That was lovely - why don't they recommend Kinhin for lulling the baby to
    sleep in the baby manuals :wink:

Could this be an additional career opportunity Jundo 8)

Gassho

Willow

Loved the baby back pack! Reminds me of how my dad used to carry me around in a Jansport when I was young.

Thanks and Gassho.
    Myozan