Thread: SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: The Non-Bucket List

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: The Non-Bucket List

Well, thought I could cross one item off the BUCKET LIST this morning, as a TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN passed above our town in Japan. Except, I soon found out, it was technically -not- a "total eclipse", but something called an "annular eclipse". That means that, because of the distances between sun, moon and earth, the moon does not completely block out the sun's rays, though in turn producing a most spectacular golden ring around the moon (as in the photo). I'd never even heard of an "annular eclipse" before this morning!

It is a pretty rare event (the next won't pass through here for a few hundred years), and thoroughly spectacular nonetheless. Our town was about as close to the central path as possible, making for a most lovely ring, a solar ENSO in the sky! Still, I was rather annoyed that it was not TOTAL ... a bit less than "total" ... thus not quite up to the demanding standards of my Bucket List of things to experience in life "before I kick the bucket".

Oh well, life is always filled with disappointments ... even when it comes to otherwise spectacular, rare eclipses! How silly are we human beings who, in the face of a cosmic miracle, might demand the heavens to put on even a more pleasing show simply for our enjoyment! Aren't we like that about so many of the events, experiences, people and encounters in our lives?

Fortunately, Zen Practice also affords us a "Non-Bucket List" ... or a "Bottom Fell Out of the Bucket List" ... all items checked off from the start!

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended

Last edited by Jundo; 05-31-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Joyo
    thank you, Jundo, beautiful teaching

Gassho,
    Joyo