Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 2

Re: BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 2

It is Jundo's question that is intimate for me..

Could/can you still manage to diligently and sincerely pursue the activities nonetheless (like Bodhidharma so diligently sitting for so long) working toward its successful accomplishment?

Is this just "going with the flow"? I don't think so. Some things require the rousing of energy and inspiration on demand, placing this against that, and putting our backs into it. There are times when....in all honesty... denying that an outcome is deeply important to us, is just kidding ourselves. So can there still be that fully human passion ...that total involvement, and "Great Space Nothing Holy"...... at once ? That is what this is about for me, it has to be. It is all fine on the cushion, or on retreat where I just follow a schedule. But in a life of many responsibilities that must be met every day...

Gassho kojip.

"Can you think of some activities in your life that would be/are richer when undertaken dropping completely all thought of reason or merit or goal or holiness/specialness to it? "

Simply spending quality time with my sons. When I let go of expectations of they should act, how we should play or how we should read a book and just be with them in the moment, the experience flows naturally. I feel our connection and love for each other more fully.

I have to admit it's overwhelming to read all of the posts but it's good practice.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Thank you Ekai for sharing this teaching; life trully is simple, isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Ekai
    I have to admit it's overwhelming to read all of the posts but it's good practice.

Gassho,
    Ekai
    Thank you Ekai,
    I agree, I'm learning to accept my current level of understanding.
    I don't get it but it's OK.

Gassho
    Gary

Many of the things I do seem more meaningful when I stop worrying about the outcome or "getting somewhere" -- just working in the garden, or knitting something, or drawing, or sewing a rakusu :wink:

There's another side to this, too, when we talk about dropping ideas of certain things being special or "holy." I think Jundo expressed in well in another thread recently when he talked about changing his daughter's dirty diapers as something holy. Yeah, it kind of is! I think of unpleasant tasks that way more often, everyday life things like housework, dealing with certain family members, confronting my own mind theater. Nothing's holy, and yet everything is.

Gassho

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Gary

Gassho,
    Ekai
    Thank you Ekai,

Gassho
    Gary
    Hi Ekai and Gary. I don't know about anyone else, but as a long time Buddhist stumbler, I have gotten good at talking the talk.. In fact there is no shortage of "understanding". But it hasn't done much good. On this forum some people sound like they have a "deeper" understanding, some sound like they do not understand that much... some people sound like they have put down "understanding" and are just practicing well. I'm here to learn to put down my head full of understanding and accept guidance.... and support in practice. It isn't easy, because old habits die hard.

So.. I just hope you don't sell yourselves short because some people can talk the talk..

Gassho, kojip

Quote Originally Posted by Kojip

Gassho,
    Ekai
    Thank you Ekai,

Gassho
    Gary
    Hi Ekai and Gary. I don't know about anyone else, but as a long time Buddhist stumbler, I have gotten good at talking the talk.. In fact there is no shortage of "understanding". But it hasn't done much good. On this forum some people sound like they have a "deeper" understanding, some sound like they do not understand that much... some people sound like they have put down "understanding" and are just practicing well. I'm here to learn to put down my head full of understanding and accept guidance.... and support in practice. It isn't easy, because old habits die hard.

So.. I just hope you don't sell yourselves short because some people can talk the talk..

Gassho, kojip
    Well, I actually meant that it is overwhelming to read through the posts time-wise and with life-work-family balance. Also, I spend a lot of time on the computer due to my career so after a while, my eyes start to hurt trying to read everything on the screen. But it's worth the effort, non-effort.

Gassho,
    Ekai

OK. I misunderstood the post. ... and was addressing Gary's statement about... "my current level of understanding".

Gassho.

OK. I misunderstood the post. ... and was addressing Gary's statement about... "my current level of understanding".

Gassho.
    I guess it really must be overwhelming :lol: !

Thanks for your support and practice.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Bodhidharm was lucky, Benka was not. Bodhidharma went on to practice for nine years. Did the Emporer get the treasure in the end?
    In some translations Bodhidharma's response is 'No idea'. When we are one who are we? The child we are with, the book we are reading, the kesa being sewn or even just no idea.
    No idea, NO PROBLEM !

Gassho,
    Ekai
    Thank you Ekai,

Gassho
    Gary

Gassho, kojip
    Thank you Kokip, I'm no scholar, I tend to take these teachings on face value, maybe a shallow view but it's fine I have my whole life to work it out. 8)

Sorry I caused confusion with reply to Elkai's post.

Gassho
    Gary

Hi Gary,

Speaking truthfully and from the heart needs no apologies .

Gassho,
    Ekai

Well, I actually meant that it is overwhelming to read through the posts time-wise and with life-work-family balance.
    Hi,

Well, it is certainly not about quantity of words or reading every word ... and one word or no words (as in Buddha's 'talk' in case 1) is ample. What is vital is to find these Teachings right in the heart of " life-work-family balance."

I'm learning to accept my current level of understanding.
    We all, always, have our "current level of understanding, not understanding and non-understanding."

That's our current "don't I know", "don't know I" and "I don't know". 8)

Gassho, J

Yugen

BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 2

"Not knowing is the most intimate"

Gary, I have a lot of respect for your statement.

Kojip, thank you for keeping us all honest. I tend to love the sound of my own voice. These days the silence of Zazen is so profound I do not trust much of what comes out of my mouth.

The acknowledgement of the limits of our knowledge marks the beginning of our openness to experience, to wisdom. Sometimes knowledge is an impediment to experience. Where knowledge ends, and witnessing the experience beyond, is a significant part of Zen.

Thank you both for sharing a remarkable piece of integrity.

Gassho
    Yugen

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen
    "Not knowing is the most intimate"

Gary, I have a lot of respect for your statement.

Kojip, thank you for keeping us all honest. I tend to love the sound of my own voice. These days the silence of Zazen is so profound I do not trust much of what comes out of my mouth.

The acknowledgement of the limits of our knowledge marks the beginning of our openness to experience, to wisdom. Sometimes knowledge is an impediment to experience. Where knowledge ends, and witnessing the experience beyond, is a significant part of Zen.

Thank you both for sharing a remarkable piece of integrity.

Gassho
    Yugen
    Being a combination of too clever, and kinda thick... it took me almost twenty years to actually just sit.. aint it the silliest thing? :lol: Maybe metaphysical grasping just has to wear out for some folks..

Hello,

I have recently taken up archery lessons (western style)...and although I am usually the first one to point out all the fallacies regarding the whole Archery+Zen craze started by Eugen Herrigel's book....I have found my archery practise to be unique in the way it clearly just is what it is, no matter whether one is hitting the bullseye or not. Gently but firmly pickung up the arrow, I hit the bullseye with every conscious action, even before the arrow leaves my bow. Where the arrow lands is of no importance. Beginning, middle, end all dissolve in a foolish fumbling idiot doing what he is doing. And there is nothing there, no holiness and nothing lacking...and no one writing this.

Oh, the wonder of constant arising.

Hail to all Bodhisattvas Mahasattvas.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

I cannot come up with anything coherent to relate on this case. Maybe after another 9 years of sitting I won't have even anything to say at all.

Nine bows.

_/_

For me, sometimes "I don't know" can mean "I don't care enough or I don't want to take the time to think about it'. Other times, "I don't know" is an active, curious, vibrant thing.
    "Why sit?", the reasons change continuously. I'm ok with sitting for the next 10 years just to see what happens.

Ron

Shugen

Hi all,

The way I read it was that Emperor Wu asked a very loaded question and Bodhidharma was well aware what Wu was asking: Since I have built these temples that ordained monks I believe I'm entitled to some merit. So, Wu was already starting the conversation off on the "wrong" foot by implying that he was owed something for the deeds he had done. Further, as the questioning continued, it then became clear that Wu was seeking merit without even understanding what merit he could earn! Wu was also attached the idea of holiness, something I have never connected with buddhism (perhaps "wholiness" though). Then, after Bodhidharma had tried to answer Wu's questions it was obvious that the Emperor was not yet ready to begin walking the path. Ultimately, Wu is very confused and wants to know who this Bodhidharma guy is and where he gets off giving him these cryptic answers, at least according to Wu they are cryptic. So, Wu asks him, "Who stands here before ME?" and Bodhidharma's response is "I don't know". To my mind, this was Bodidharma giving up on the conversation in one sense, but also to offer Wu a challenge. If Wu responded by continuing to build temples that ordain monks by no longer seeking merit he will have found the answer to the question. If Wu does not build more temples or continues to do it in seeking merit, he will never find the answer to the question. I honestly don't know if Bodhidharma's sitting for nine years was prompted by the exchange he had with Wu, but if the implication is that he did...he did it to show who he was...seeking nothing, gaining so much for the non-seeking.

That's my priest in training's $0.01.

Gassho,
    Dosho

wamoroney

Being
    A being
    Is being
    enough

Good picture.

Shugen

Very cute picture!

Gassho,
    Ekai

When Bodhidharma did not know,
    He knew.

(Maybe. I'm not Bodhidharma.)
    Gassho
    Myozan

Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo
    (Maybe. I'm not Bodhidharma.)
    Everybody is Bodhidharma.
    Do we know it?
    Do we not know it?

I don't know

Gassho

Rimon

Hi Rimon,
    Hope all is well in beautiful Barcelona.

Yes. You are right. Everybody is Bodhidharma.
    AND
    I am not Bodhidharma. He lived a long time ago in a distant land. What do I know of him really?
    Indeed!
    I am Bodhidharma! And so are you! There is no distance at all!

... and as these ramblings show, I really do know nothing!

Gassho,
    Myozan

Quote Originally Posted by Rimon
    When we sit we're all Bodhidharma and all the ancestors - same mind. When I go to work interact with all the people, "solve" all the problems I manifest this mind in my own and unique way.

AND
    I am not Bodhidharma. He lived a long time ago in a distant land. What do I know of him really?
    Indeed!
    I am Bodhidharma! And so are you! There is no distance at all!

... and as these ramblings show, I really do know nothing!

Gassho,
    Myozan
    We are all Bodhidarma and Emperor Wu, at the same time.

Gassho,
    Alan

Hi Rimon,
    Hope all is well in beautiful Barcelona.
    Indeed Myozan. Today is a beautiful sunny day. I almost almost feel like everybodhidharma!
    I don't know what the weather is, but I certainly like it. Maybe that's all that there is to know...

Big Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by andyZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimon
    When we sit we're all Bodhidharma and all the ancestors - same mind. When I go to work interact with all the people, "solve" all the problems I manifest this mind in my own and unique way.
    _/|_

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12