Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treeleaf 'Shukke Tokudo' Ordination Ceremony: May 23rd-24th

Treeleaf 'Shukke Tokudo' Ordination Ceremony: May 23rd-24th

On the evening of Wednesday May 23rd in North America (the morning of Thursday May 24th in Europe and Japan), our Sangha will welcome new novice priests through the ritual of Shukke Tokudo (????) Ordination.

As is typical of our Sangha, the ceremony will be conducted simultaneously in three places around the world ... dropping all thought of here and there, now and then ... with the Preceptor (Jundo Cohen) in Japan, and our Ordainees, Shinkai in Austin, Texas and Dosho in New York. (We also will welcome one additional new novice priest, Myozan of Dublin, Ireland, who was recently Ordained by Rev. Taigu). This is a rescheduled ceremony from last month, but I am pleased that it will allow Dokan, who is visiting Japan for Shakuhachi and Zazen, to assist the ceremony as Jisha (??, the ceremony attendant) helping Jundo.

If you would like to witness the ceremony, and join in our celebration, the netcast will be seen at this link ...

http://www.justin.tv/treeleafzen

... at the following times on May 23-24 (please note the day and time change from last time) ...

9am Japan time Thursday morning May 24th (that is New York 8pm, Los Angeles 5pm Wednesday evening May23rd, London 1am and Paris 2am Thursday morning May 24th ...

... for about an hour or so.

Because of the new day and times for the ceremony, we know that it will be difficult for many Sangha members to join us that day. But FEAR NOT if not possible for you to join 'live' in your location at those times, as the entire event will be recorded and shared with everyone ... and you will be with us beyond all thought of here and there, now and then. Also, this time, we will not have witnesses visible on MeBeam as last time. Rather, Dokan will attend representing the warm hands and hearts of all of you.

Here's a little talk I offered last month, for the ceremony scheduled then ...

[youtube] [/youtube]

Gassho, Jundo

Yugen

I'll be there! The time works for me perfectly - I can't wait to join you and celebrate with our newly ordained priests!

Gassho
    Yugen

Re: Treeleaf 'Shukke Tokudo' Ordination Ceremony: May 23rd-24th

Hello fellow Leafers!

Google+ now has the ability to turn the Hangout into a live broadcast which is streamed to YouTube. After the Hangout is closed, it is then uploaded to YouTube as a recording.

I was wondering...would this be something someone may want to volunteer to do on the day of Tokudo? We wouldn't see you in Tsukuba, but it would be great for posterity.

Any volunteers?

Here's the information from Google: Hangouts on Air

Also, I can put together a quick guide on how to set it up.

Thanks & Gassho,

Dokan

Yugen

Hey Dokan,
    I cannot stress enough my technology incompetence - but I would be happy to volunteer - if you can be very specific in your instructions - !

Gassho
    Yugen

Congratulations guys. I look forward to catching the recorded version as I work late on Wednesdays.

Gassho,

Daido

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen
    I cannot stress enough my technology incompetence - but I would be happy to volunteer - if you can be very specific in your instructions - !
    It's really not that complicated. Let me write up some instructions and on steps involved tomorrow and maybe we can do our Fukudenkai tomorrow night online with you hosting?

Gassho,

Dokan

Night shift for me as well, this time -- my congratulations again to y'all.

gassho,
    Shujin

I will try to make the live version (if my 2-year old will let me ). If not, I will definitely watch the recorded version.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Quote Originally Posted by Ekai
    I will try to make the live version (if my 2-year old will let me ). If not, I will definitely watch the recorded version.

Gassho,
    Ekai
    One nice thing, among many, for our ceremony ... the kids can run around, sing and shout ... one can come and go for diaper changes and story time. No disturbance possible.

That applies even to one of our Ordainees, who will have his family in the room. No interference with the ceremony possible. Let em do their kid thing, and it is the Buddha singing shouting and getting a diaper change.

Gassho, J

Hi everybody,
    I will be with you all, but a few hours later, as the time GMT, what with child minding, makes it hard to be there live this time. Good luck to all. Enjoy it Jundo, Dosho, Shinkai and Dokaan! And enjoy the celebrations afterwards.
    Gassho,
    Myozan

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo

Gassho,
    Ekai
    One nice thing, among many, for our ceremony ... the kids can run around, sing and shout ... one can come and go for diaper changes and story time. No disturbance possible.

That applies even to one of our Ordainees, who will have his family in the room. No interference with the ceremony possible. Let em do their kid thing, and it is the Buddha singing shouting and getting a diaper change.

Gassho, J
    Ok, that's what's so great about this Sangha. I will be there with bells on and Hunter doing his kid thing.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Ekai (what a wonderful name), this is broad, this is big, beyond the beyond. NOW.

and thank you for your gracious-wise presence.

gassho

T.

How wonderful,

I'm sure it's going to be an amazing experience. As long as the "heart" is pure, even mistakes shine bright in the light of true dedication...so don't be afraid something might go wrong...it will And it will be wonderful.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo

Gassho,
    Ekai

Gassho, J
    Hi all,

Ekai's post and Jundo's response have brought up an issue I've been rolling around in my head, so I figured why not share it? I am the ordainee in question that will have family in the room. At present, it'll be my wife and oldest son (also my assistant) who is about a month shy of his 7th birthday. As things stand now my nearly 3 year old son won't be there because of the late hour, which makes me very sad. When the ceremony had been in the morning we had planned for my wife to go get him from sleeping to be there for the end. But now that it is at night my wife thinks it best (and I largely concur) that we put him to bed at his usual time which is before the ceremony begins. I would like my whole family to be there, so I am very conflicted as to what I should do. Although not always the case, past experience has shown there to be a high probability for crying when he doesn't get his way because of the late hour, grabbing everything on the tables I have to use for the ceremony, want to see himself on camera, and make things very difficult for my wife who will have worked a full day, have thrown dinner together, and helped me get ready for the ceremony.

Does anyone have any advice? I could sure use some.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi Dosho,
    I can understand where you're coming from - my heart would certainly want my little guys to be present for something like this. I would give your wife (and yourself) and break, however and put your little one down at his normal time. In all likelihood, he won't remember the ceremony as the years pass. You, on the other hand, will probably remember if he is an overtired wreck. Hope this helps.

gassho,
    Shujin

Hope the ceremony goes well and will look forward to the recorded version.

Dosho - your little boy is the same age as my youngest grandson - and he does
    get cranky when he's tired. Perhaps settle him at the usual time - but
    have a little ceremony the next day that he can be involved in.

Anyway - good luck and enjoy.

Gassho

Willow

Yugen

As a parent and Treeleaf Sangha member, I just found Shujin and Willow's posts full of beauty and wisdom. I hope you found something helpful in them Dosho.

I have had kids and household pets join me for sitting, Jukai ceremonies, and Zazenkai. Invited, uninvited, silent, and singing! Once I had the dog and cat chase one another around during a Zazenkai..... :-)

Gassho
    Yugen

Good luck everyone, due to 2 am my time I wont be there, but my thoughts (dreams ? :-)) are with you,

Dosho, I agree with Willow, her advice sounds very good to me,

_()_
    Peter Myoku

Dosho,

I understand you want your entire family to be with you during the ceremony but I, too, agree with Willow. I would put your toddler to bed at the usual time and enjoy watching the recorded version with him the next day.

Gassho,
    Ekai

I will see you all there and then, Wednesday evening will work out great for me to participate in this wonderful event.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Mp

Hello everyone,

I will for sure be there on Wednesday night.

Gassho,
    Michael

I will be there with the Sangha .

Gassho, kojip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Hi all,

Ekai's post and Jundo's response have brought up an issue I've been rolling around in my head, so I figured why not share it? I am the ordainee in question that will have family in the room. At present, it'll be my wife and oldest son (also my assistant) who is about a month shy of his 7th birthday. As things stand now my nearly 3 year old son won't be there because of the late hour, which makes me very sad. When the ceremony had been in the morning we had planned for my wife to go get him from sleeping to be there for the end. But now that it is at night my wife thinks it best (and I largely concur) that we put him to bed at his usual time which is before the ceremony begins. I would like my whole family to be there, so I am very conflicted as to what I should do. Although not always the case, past experience has shown there to be a high probability for crying when he doesn't get his way because of the late hour, grabbing everything on the tables I have to use for the ceremony, want to see himself on camera, and make things very difficult for my wife who will have worked a full day, have thrown dinner together, and helped me get ready for the ceremony.

Does anyone have any advice? I could sure use some.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Hi, Dosho. Only my advice, but let your 3 year old be a 3 year old and go to bed like he should and then let your 7 year old and your wife enjoy the ceremony like they should. Your 3 year old will not remember, but it will be a big memory for your 7 year old who is capable of knowing the significance and importance to you. Your wife should also be able to enjoy the experience and relax in sharing it with you and your 7 year old completely.
    Gazebo, Grace.

Exciting!! I've got it marked on the calendar and will definitely be there!

Gassho,
    Hoyu

I am so honoured to be a part of this sangha and to be able to attend this great event.

I also agree with the others, a 3 year old will get more out of watching it with the family at an hour that is more appropriate to his happiness level,
    and if he's anything like my granddaughter, he'll want to watch it again and again! : )

Gassho,

Lisa

Hello all,

I plan to attend as well and am happy to be part of this beautiful occasion!

Dosho, I do agree with Willow in regards to your youngest. It will be wonderful either way you choose as it is life, it is all Treeleaf. Warm thoughts to all of you.

Kelly/Jinmei

Thanks all for your flexibility and support.

Yugen

Psyched to see you all tomorrow!

I am really happy for you - Shinkai, Dosho, and Myozan - and I am grateful to be celebrating with you

Gassho
    Yugen

Thanks Jundo and Dokan for a great special on Justin!

Gassho,
    Ronald.

I will be there this evening. Congratulations to all.

Gassho,
    Alan

Jundo, Shinkai, Dosho and Dokan,
    Good luck later on. Too late for me here in GMT (although I might be up with a teething baby!), but I will be with you in truth.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Just a few hours away, waiting to see all of you in this great occasion. Congratulations to the new soon-to-be novice priests Dosho and Shinkai and to novice priest Myozan

Best wishes all, unfortunately I'm on nightshift but will catch up with the recording ASAP.
    Have fun,

Gassho
    Gary

I'll be there!

Wish i could join in but it is going to be at 3 am here and i have to wake up at 5:30 for work.

Best Wishes to all who take part in such a joyous occasion!

GAssho, Dojin.

In an attempt to not complicate matters. We will not start a Hangout from Tsukuba. However, if anyone will be doing a hangout, please make it on air so we can have for posterity. Thanks guys!

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Treeleaf 'Shukke Tokudo' Ordination Ceremony: May 23rd-2

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan
    In an attempt to not complicate matters. We will not start a Hangout from Tsukuba. However, if anyone will be doing a hangout, please make it on air so we can have for posterity. Thanks guys!

Gassho

Dokan

Nevermind...we got it.

Gassho

Dokan

Indeed congratulations to Shinkai and Dosho on their achievement and commitment! I'm sorry I can't be there to celebrate it with you, but you are both in my immediate thoughts with wishes for a trouble-free ceremony and a lifetime of learning and service.

Deep-gassho to all!
    Chris

Yugen

Congratulations Dosho and Shinkai! Congratulations Myozan!

Dokan thanks for your work and support.

Jundo, thank you for this wonderful Sangha and for your teachings.

Gassho
    Yugen

Congratulations, and much respect.....

Gassho, kojip

Dosho and Shinkai ... how awesome! Wonderful ceremony!

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Dosho, Shinkai and Myozan... CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you for inspiring us and for keeping the practice alive.

I watched the ceremony on both the Hangout and Justin and it was awesome!

Also I want to thank Dosho for being there

Congratulations Dosho and Shinkai!!
    Wonderful ceremony, Thank you Jundo and Dokan!

Amazing to witness this

Gassho

Shohei

Thanks everyone, especially Jundo and Dokan...and of course my fellow ordainees Shinkai and Myozan, and my fellow priests in training Shohei, Fugen, and Mongen!

Deep bows to all!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Very beautiful ceremony! It made me teary eyed. All of you are a true inspiration to me, this Sangha and our Practice. Thank you for being here and for your presence.

Great job helping out Dokan!

Jundo, I dig those robes you were wearing during the ceremony. Are those for special occasions?

Gassho,
    Ekai

A beautiful ceremony.
    Sanpai to all,
    Welcome Shinkai and Dosho. Welcome.

Taigu

Big congratulations Tsudo(sp?) Dosho and Taido Shinkai!!!
    Thank you for a wonderful ceremony Rev. Jundo. Also, thanks to Dokan for helping out in Tsukuba(in spite of some serrious jetlag I would imagine!) and to all the ancestors(who we could feel right there with us!)
    _/_ _/_ _/_

Mp

Congratulations Shihai and Dosho, I am very happy for you both! Beautiful ceremony Jundo ... very inspiring. And fantastic support Dokan.

Gassho,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyu
    Big congratulations Tsudo(sp?) Dosho and Taido Shinkai!!!
    I was wondering that too Hoyu! I looked up the chracter on my lineage papers and it says Shu, but I thought it sounded like Su during the ceremony...so I'm not sure if it's Shu or Su or maybe even Tsu. But I'm tsure Jundo will let us know for shure.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Congratulations, Dosho and Shinkai!

What a beautiful ceremony... so honoured to be able to witness it. : )

I agree, Ekai - Jundo's robe was quite beautiful... is there a story behind it?

Gassho,

Lisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast