Yugen

Re: Hell-raising holy men: Buddhist monks drinking and gambling

....or tick tick tick....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/world ... leeve.html

Gassho
    Yugen

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLa
    This is a very complicated subject, and I am on the road this weekend so cannot respond at length. Also, since we are not part of the Korean traditions, I am hesitant to comment. However, in a nutshell ...

... there are some small sections of the HUGE Zen Buddhist groups in Korea that basically have been taken over by corrupt priests, real estate speculators, political wheeler-dealers and the mafia. This may be related to that. Don't be shocked because, like the HUGE Catholic Church in Italy, some sections there have also been taken over by corrupt priests, real estate speculators, political wheeler-dealers and the mafia. The situation is very similar ... and the Zen Buddhist groups in Korea are the "Church" there.

Here is more on the subject ...

viewtopic.php?p=34357#p34357

Again, this is only about a corner of the entire Korean Buddhist world.

Gassho, J

Corruption in large religious institutions???? pshaw I say! :mrgreen:

Finally, they are mere mortals like any of us, subject to weaknesses and failures .... Practice therefore must be constant, every moment after every moment, because at any of these one can fall through the path of the non-mountain.

The temptation of corruption, or falling into ridicule by a simple wristwatch (however expensive it may be), is something we can all subjects of (well, I donīt even own a wristwatch, nor have extra $30K to spend in one of those :wink: ). We must better turn to our own Practice to not do the same... and feel compassion for these religious leaders :roll:

Yugen

I think these are institutional/power/people issues to which those in authority (whether secular or temporal) are not immune... the Russian and Greek Orthodox churches of my family's background has its own elements of political intrigue, real estate speculation, appropriation of wealth, and excessive symbols of office (or entitlement)..... these are all people, whether politicians, bankers, religious figures, etc. That doesn't change the beauty, mystery, or basic goodness of the message of faith.... whether Christian, Buddhist, Islamic, Judaic, etc., or the fact that there are some very dedicated priests and monastics that are very worthy of respect and admiration - whose vows and practice are sincere.

I mean, hell, after weeks of remembering which bowl to fit inside the other, not talking, and looking at the ground I'd be ready for a little cuttin' loose too! :twisted:

Gasso,
    Yugen

I can see why Taigu isn't very fond of big institutions...
    This clip for me is a teaching. Don't put religious leaders on a pedestal. They're only people and not immune to being corrupted by power.

Gassho,
    /Pontus

Yeah, they are people like us, subject to the same frailties and mistakes, etc. In that way it is a good teaching. I think the only thing that surprised me was the amount of money involved, in both cases. But I should know better, I suppose. People spend a lot of money on their souls.

Re: Re: Hell-raising holy men: Buddhist monks drinking and gambl

People spend a lot of money on their souls.
    No truer words...although I have an odd fondness of the milder variety of crazy zennies like Ikkyu. :grin:

Gassho

Dokan

People spend a lot of money on their souls.
    Indeed :roll: