Thread: Stepping away from Treeleaf

Stepping away from Treeleaf

hey all,

I only write this because folks here are so kind-hearted and I'd hate it if anyone said "What happened to that SonofRage guy?" and worried, but it is with some sadness that I have to let everyone know that I am stepping away from the Treeleaf sangha.

When I first joined Treeleaf, I was a very new father who was unable to visit his temple or engage with a teacher for many months due to the time contraints that come with having a newborn child. Just a month before I joined Treeleaf, I finally went back to my temple and ended up having to call an ambulance after my teacher was discovered on the floor of the bathroom barely conscious and unresponsive. My teacher, Myo Ji Sunim, passed away a few days later having never regained consciousness.

So, I joined Treeleaf when I was in a place of seeking a new teacher. Recently, I guess I've started to realize/accept that I seem to have more "karmic affinity" with Korean Seon style practice(s) and have been able to make time to visit my old temple again on a regular basis. As a result, my primary practice has shifted from Shikantaza to Hwadu or Ganhwa Seon under the guidance of Do Am Sunim in the Kwan Um School of Zen.

Jundo has made clear, both publicly and privately, that Treeleaf is centered on Shikantaza and Soto Practice. As such, it is not really appropriate for me to participate here when Shikantaza has not been my practice and I have been working with a teacher from another tradition.

Please don't take this at all to be a slight against Jundo, Taigu, or Treeleaf! To be able to practice the dharma in this way is a precious precious gift that you should all treasure. I wish you all the best on your path, as I know you wish me on mine. If there's anything I can help with from a technology standpoint, I will always be happy to lend my assistance.

yours in the dharma,

-Sam

Take care Sam,
    I wish you all the best.
    Sometimes we need to follow our hearts.
    And thank you for your post.

Gassho,
    /Pontus

Re: Stepping away from Treeleaf

No worries, brother! My wife is now practicing in the Kwan Um lineage as well

Take care in your practice.

_/_

All the best,

Gassho

Willow

Thanks Sam for your beautiful commitment to the Dharma and yourself. Hopefully we can stay in touch.

Gassho,

Dokan

Hey Sam,

I will miss you and I carry the highest hopes for your future. I am sorry to read about the circumstances around your teacher's passing.

Keep up your good practice.

Hi.

Take care.
    We'll be here, so don't be a stranger.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Yugen

Sam,
    I am glad you are in a fulfilling practice, and appreciate your commitment to the path. I particularly respect your openness and integrity. All the best and I hope we meet again! Fair winds to you and your family -

A deep bow,
    Yugen

Sam,

Deep bows to you and your practice and best wishes for your journey.

But as Fugen says, we're always here and don't be a stranger!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Take care Sam and thank you for your efforts!
    different paths up the same mountain and I am glad you are able to reconnect!

Gassho
    Shohei

Later on Sam, and thank you for your devotion to the dharma.

_/_

Thank you for your contributions Sam. Best of luck to you and your family. Nice to know in the big picture we are still together so not a sad goodbye

Daido

Sam, if you find some spare time, drop in and visit, and share your experiences in your tradition. All the best to you! Gassho, Grace.

Have a great journey and always fell welcome here.

Gassho

Taigu

I respect you for following your heart and understanding your karmic affinity, a term which I believe I understand well and have experienced before.

Gassho
    Julia

Gassho Sam,
    sounds you are on your path, I'm very happy for you and as
    others said, you're always welcome here.
    Take Care
    Peter Myoku

Sam, thx for the update. Its important to be comfortible with your practice style and teacher. I remain your friend in the dharma and hope you check in from time to time to take what you need and leave the rest.

Take care, Sam!

Gassho

Jen

Take care dude! I hope you drop by once in a while

Take care Sam

gaté, gaté, paragaté, parasamgaté, bodhi svaha

Hi Sam,

Happy to hear that you are in a position to follow your heart. Please visit us here from time to time!

Gassho,
    Hoyu

It feels odd to bump this old thread, but I'm thinking of coming back to Treeleaf. I love my current teacher, but it's just difficult sometimes to go to temple as often as I'd like with work and family obligations. I find myself often slipping into shikantaza anyway so maybe I should just embrace it.

You have to ask "pretty please with sugar on top"

Yes, here is Shikantaza. There is no escape.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Ps - We also ask folks to sign a first name now, and also that they "satToday" at least once before posting. I hope that is okay.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ore-Forum-Chat
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello,

Welcome home, Sam.

Gassho
    Myosha sat today
    Last edited by Myosha; 10-03-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hey there!

Gassho,

Risho
    -sattoday

Good to see you again!

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Kyotai
    Good to see you return

Gassho, kyotai
    Sat today

Sam, I am touched by this thread. It's a wonder how our personal paths tend to wander, responding to the fair winds of life. Going forth as the way opens, as the Quakers say. Treeleaf does fill the accessibility gap for lots of folks, myself included. Glad you're back. Glad you and the family are well.
    _/st\_ Shinzan

Nice to meet you, Sam

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Pleased to meet you sam. Welcome back.

Gassho,

Simon

Sat today

It's all a wonderful dance - good to see you here again,

Gassho

Willow

sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    You have to ask "pretty please with sugar on top"

Yes, here is Shikantaza. There is no escape.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Ps - We also ask folks to sign a first name now, and also that they "satToday" at least once before posting. I hope that is okay.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ore-Forum-Chat
    I can do the pretty please, but I recommend splenda because sugar is bad for your physical health!

Thank you for the protocol update.

-Sam

SatToday!
    Last edited by SoR; 10-03-2015 at 07:57 PM.