hey all,

I only write this because folks here are so kind-hearted and I'd hate it if anyone said "What happened to that SonofRage guy?" and worried, but it is with some sadness that I have to let everyone know that I am stepping away from the Treeleaf sangha.

When I first joined Treeleaf, I was a very new father who was unable to visit his temple or engage with a teacher for many months due to the time contraints that come with having a newborn child. Just a month before I joined Treeleaf, I finally went back to my temple and ended up having to call an ambulance after my teacher was discovered on the floor of the bathroom barely conscious and unresponsive. My teacher, Myo Ji Sunim, passed away a few days later having never regained consciousness.

So, I joined Treeleaf when I was in a place of seeking a new teacher. Recently, I guess I've started to realize/accept that I seem to have more "karmic affinity" with Korean Seon style practice(s) and have been able to make time to visit my old temple again on a regular basis. As a result, my primary practice has shifted from Shikantaza to Hwadu or Ganhwa Seon under the guidance of Do Am Sunim in the Kwan Um School of Zen.

Jundo has made clear, both publicly and privately, that Treeleaf is centered on Shikantaza and Soto Practice. As such, it is not really appropriate for me to participate here when Shikantaza has not been my practice and I have been working with a teacher from another tradition.

Please don't take this at all to be a slight against Jundo, Taigu, or Treeleaf! To be able to practice the dharma in this way is a precious precious gift that you should all treasure. I wish you all the best on your path, as I know you wish me on mine. If there's anything I can help with from a technology standpoint, I will always be happy to lend my assistance.

yours in the dharma,

-Sam