Thread: OUR SHUKKE TOKUDO - TO BE RESCHEDULED

OUR SHUKKE TOKUDO - TO BE RESCHEDULED

DO TO "TECHNICAL NON-DIFFICULTIES" WITH THE INTERNET OR ONE OF OUR COMPUTERS, THE SHUKKE TOKUDO ORDINATION COULD NOT PROCEED TONIGHT. THAT IS JUST HOW THINGS ARE, TECHNO-KARMA. WE WILL REGROUP AND RESCHEDULE THE CEREMONY IN A FEW WEEKS. ALL HAPPENS IN ITS OWN TIME. GASSHO, JUNDO

Re: OUR SHUKKE TOKUDO - TO BE RESCHEDULED

BACK IN DOGEN's DAY, I AM SURE THAT THEY HAD OTHER REASONS TO DELAY A CEREMONY ... 13th CENTURY REASONS LIKE A SAMURAI BATTLE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OR SOMETHING. OURS IS JUST A 21st CENTURY REASON.

GASSHO, J

Guess i got lucky. i was busy lately so missed the announcement when it was made and didnt tune in for the ceremony. guess i will get the chance to do it now.

Gassho, Dojin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojin
    Guess i got lucky.
    Every cloud has a silver lining. 8)

(Not really a Buddhist Teaching or classic "Zen saying" ... but a nice thought nonetheless.)

I also doged a bullet, I had committed to being their and then missed it :/

Dear fellow leafers,
    I would like to pick up this one again, from a technical side:

I guess we are quite sure we wont try mebeam again. We can use g+ hangouts BUT it has some disadvantage for the
    witnesses: g+ does show one in almost full size and the others as thumbnails, which is not really "good for the show" over at Jundo's location.

I investigated and Skype does also allow group video chats, for which at least one member needs a premium account. If we not have such I can do that (though I not yet have it, but no problem). The advantage is that it seems in Skype the members of a group chat are all quite euqal in size, good for the show.

We might even go with a mix; Jundo, Dosho and Shinkai in example in g+ and the witnesses in Skype, which I currently feel would be best. But correct me, no problem.

In any case I suggest a test rund a few days in advance, just we see that basically all is working.

_()_
    Peter Myoku

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    13th CENTURY REASONS LIKE A SAMURAI BATTLE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
    GASSHO, J
    :lol:

gassho
    gilles

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku
    Dear fellow leafers,
    I would like to pick up this one again, from a technical side:

I guess we are quite sure we wont try mebeam again. We can use g+ hangouts BUT it has some disadvantage for the
    witnesses: g+ does show one in almost full size and the others as thumbnails, which is not really "good for the show" over at Jundo's location.

I investigated and Skype does also allow group video chats, for which at least one member needs a premium account. If we not have such I can do that (though I not yet have it, but no problem). The advantage is that it seems in Skype the members of a group chat are all quite euqal in size, good for the show.

We might even go with a mix; Jundo, Dosho and Shinkai in example in g+ and the witnesses in Skype, which I currently feel would be best. But correct me, no problem.

In any case I suggest a test rund a few days in advance, just we see that basically all is working.

_()_
    Peter Myoku
    Hi Peter,

My best guess now is that one laptop we were using, reliable until that point, became overwhelmed that night with the video calling. Neither Skype or Google+ were working. Next time, I likely will use another computer in its place.

Gassho, J

Good Jundo,
    hopefully that helps. In any case I think a test run would be a good idea, no ? It can be pretty simple and short and I'm sure we find enough "Test Witnesses" or even Test-Priests for a Test-Run (quite testy ;-))
    _()_
    Peter Myoku

I'd like to up the ante a little. What if someone (me) were to get us a month on a video conferencing service like "Fuze"? I will happily make the donation to see this run smoothly. I talked with sales and engineers today at Fuze and I've been insured that this solution meets our criteria and will perform as needed internationally. In-fact a large bit of their client base is in Europe, UK and Japan.

iPad users will be happy.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fuze-mee ... 46884?mt=8

The cost is actually very good considering all of the benefits, depending on how many we would expect to host in real-time, the cost varies a bit. To host 100 people it would run $69 a month minus 25% ($52.00)for being a non-profit (as long as we can some how prove that).
    https://www.fuzebox.com/pricing

If we make some decisions now, we'll have plenty of time to do a test run.

Gassho,
    Chris

Hi all,

Just for the record, we did do a test run on Skype earlier that week and everything was running fine. Ultimately I think we may need something more stable that is cost effective, but I did want folks to know we didn't just throw things together at the last minute. Ultimately, something was up with the internet that day and may have happened no matter what we were using. Such is life...and lief is our temple.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks Chris and Dosho,
    I rather meant a test run including the witnesses. After all we want them to be there for the ceremony. It might not have to do with that, but it might ;-) Because if you try to stream more video it quite certainly stresses the connection more than just 3 persons on skype, and I guess all is going over a single connection at Jundo's end.
    Skype in example recommends for a multi-client video chat

a) not more than 5 persons and
    b) 4 MBit downstream / 512 kbit upstream

It also depends on what service you use, because when g+ hangouts are clever they stream quite few video for the small images and ony one higher resolution for the active person (not sure if they optimized this though).

Fuze might be a good alternative too, however I dont think we need the 100 person plan, rather the 25 or 15, do you have any practical experience Chris ?

_()_
    Peter Myoku

I've demo'd Fuze and have used WebEx and GoToMeeting with some regularity. Fuze has been receiving really great reviews for both the service and the interface. Fuze's video quality was also very good. Their software also does a brief bandwidth check on each connection and adjusts the compression to suit the available local connection. I'd like to believe this would improve some of the issues we experience with other services currently.

As for the plan, you are probably right that 100 is ambitious.

Gassho,
    Chris

Hi,

Just for the record, I was running one computer for Justin (no problem), one for MeBeam (no problem) and one for Skype/Google+ (the problem) but on three separate, unrelated internet connections from different providers (and using different connections devices such as Wifi for one, a cell phone connection for another, a different cell phone connection device for a third) each with sufficient bandwidth. I also switched connections (switching a cell phone connection to Wifi at one point) to see if that would help, which it did not. Thus, I believe the problem was the hardware of the one laptop running Skype/Google, not the connection.

That computer worked fine in the rehersal we had, but has since been acting funny for regular skype calls and such. I think it suddenly just got old (like me).

Next time, we may not include the witnesses by the way. I think it enough if they watch from home this time. I appreciate all the folks who "stuck it through" last time though, and waited patiently.

Gassho, Jundo

Ok, I shut up :-)
    _()_
    Myoku