Gassho,

Mike

Re: My Zazen Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi
    7/365 (1/1 too)
    Now, that's a winning combination!

Mp

Hey there Jigetsu ... might I be a late start at 1/365?

Gassho,
    Michael

8/365...sleepy zazen.

37/4/365

Have been greatly increasing my exercise lately, which has disrupted my zazen schedule. Trying to get things settled. Usually a night sitter but will probably have to switch to morning on some days.

Mp

3/365

39/4/365

38/4/365

Lurker check-in time. 15/365

Since I joined about two weeks ago I've sat daily. My surprise is that no matter how early I get up my three year old wants to come in round the 10 minute mark. :? Monkey mind is becoming more of a daily passenger than the driver and my sits are getting longer.

Any tips for doing zazen when traveling? I have a 2 week trip coming up and think I'm going to have to pay the bag fees so my zafu come with.

Gassho,

Dr. Ricardo

I lost count a long time ago!

Quote Originally Posted by richss
    Any tips for doing zazen when traveling? I have a 2 week trip coming up and think I'm going to have to pay the bag fees so my zafu come with.
    I wouldn't worry about bringing my zafu unless I knew I would be getting ample alone-time for formal practice. Since I usually travel with family or friends, I try to get some practice in when I find a moment alone. I'll do this sitting upright on the edge of a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia

I wouldn't worry about bringing my zafu unless I knew I would be getting ample alone-time for formal practice. Since I usually travel with family or friends, I try to get some practice in when I find a moment alone. I'll do this sitting upright on the edge of a chair.
    I am traveling solo for work. I will hopefully have a goodly amount of time in the AM to practice before meetings/conference sessions. I'm also going to do my first zazenkai one evening since I'll have the extra time.

I am traveling solo for work. I will hopefully have a goodly amount of time in the AM to practice before meetings/conference sessions. I'm also going to do my first zazenkai one evening since I'll have the extra time.
    Oh, then by all means...

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia

Sadhu! (I don't yet know if there is a Zennie expression for this) Congratulations on your determination to the practice. All the best.

Gassho,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi
    Sadhu! (I don't yet know if there is a Zennie expression for this) Congratulations on your determination to the practice. All the best.

Gassho,

Mike
    I'm trying to follow that old rule that it takes 3-4 weeks of consistently doing something for it to become a habit.

1/1 (which is also 16/365 and all the other numbers too)

KEEP GOING!

Gassho, J

Mp

11/365

Quote Originally Posted by ecoist
    11/365
    Sadhu!

I haven't missed a day but my count may be off...22/365
    Last edited by Khalil Bodhi; 06-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

May all beings be happy! 23/365
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

May all beings be free from pain and sorrow! 24/365
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

It's the Universe. It's reality. I just sit, even when not sitting.

You guys inspire me.

Thank you.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Happy Fathers' Day! 25/365
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Happy Monday! 26/365
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

53, I think. Got a little sloppy in my practice last week.

But here we are!

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi View Post
    Happy Monday! 26/365
    Excellent!
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

28/365...I think I missed a post somehow.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil Bodhi View Post
    28/365...I think I missed a post somehow.
    One cannot possibly miss a post even though we might miss a post. Thus, you should diligently and sincerely seek to post in this thread each day, never missing a single post.

One cannot possibly miss a sit even though we might miss a sit. Thus, you should diligently and sincerely seek to sit each day, never missing a single sit.

Thus, we are challenged to keep sitting and make the sitting real in life, even as there is no "we" to challenge and the sitting is ever already sat!

Such is the "My Zazen Challenge" Koan

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

29/365...

Rev. Jundo,

Great koan, now can someone tell me what it means... Just kidding. Anyway, during today's sleeping sit the story of the man who preferred fake dragons to real one keep repeating itself in my head. Sometimes I wonder if I'm romanticizing zazen...Metta to all!

Gassho,

Mike
    Last edited by Khalil Bodhi; 06-21-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    One cannot possibly miss a post even though we might miss a post. Thus, you should diligently and sincerely seek to post in this thread each day, never missing a single post.

One cannot possibly miss a sit even though we might miss a sit. Thus, you should diligently and sincerely seek to sit each day, never missing a single sit.

Thus, we are challenged to keep sitting and make the sitting real in life, even as there is no "we" to challenge and the sitting is ever already sat!

Such is the "My Zazen Challenge" Koan
    When we practice we sit even when we can't.

Gassho
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    1/1

Gassho, Jundo
    Nice, love it Jundo.

Gassho,
    Michael

oh yes ... 24/365

Been a rough few weeks

37/25/365
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

I guess this zazen challenge is as good as any. Count me in. So far I'm 0/365.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    Been a rough few weeks

37/25/365
    Make sure you read Jundo's post above...rough weeks are practice too and shouldn't be counted as missed days, in my opinion at least...not to suck up to the teacher or anything.

Gassho,
    Dosho

I think I'm at something like 56/8/365.

Or maybe it's 1/1/10,000.

Fuzzy math.

Gassho

Jen

1/365 It was much needed. For some reason I woke up stressed out and angry...

30/365...good night everyone!
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

31/365...Good morning everyone!
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast