Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: My Zazen Challenge

51/365
    Gassho
    Jeff

11/365

Gassho

Mark

First time I've seen this thread. I'd like to take up the effort. Though I've been sitting every day since June 5, I will start with today. 1/365 Gassho. Richard

19/365
    Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

12/365

Gassho

Mark

20/365
    Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Gassho

Jen

54/365
    Gassho
    Jeff

Hi all,

ok...sounds like you've gotten good at sitting everyday.

So, drop that attachment and see how long you can go without a sit!

Now, there's a challenge!

Gassho,
    Dosho

13/365

Gasssho,

Mark

Just a word of encouragement, great job, good method. Keep it going,
    _()_
    Myoku

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    _()_
    Myoku
    I agree, Myoku, it CAN be a good method...but as in all things, it can also go very BAD. Yes, try to sit everyday, but if you become too comfortable sitting...get up and do something else. If you find yourself trying to last as long as you can...get up and do something else. It is possible to get attached to anything, even sitting. If you are aware of your tendencies, it's great to keep it going as you say, but if you find yourself trying for a "streak" then go do some samu instead.

Just my humble unsui 2 cents, which is always to be taken with a grain of salt.

Gassho,
    Dosho

It has always been REALLY easy for me to pass on Zazen for more stimulating activities, so this challenge and Ango coming up in a couple of weeks are just what I need.

14/365

Gassho,

Mark

_()_
    Myoku
    You're very kind.

91 since April.

Gassho

Jen

_()_
    Myoku
    Thank you Myoku.
    Gassho
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    I agree, Myoku, it CAN be a good method...but as in all things, it can also go very BAD. Yes, try to sit everyday, but if you become too comfortable sitting...get up and do something else. If you find yourself trying to last as long as you can...get up and do something else. It is possible to get attached to anything, even sitting. If you are aware of your tendencies, it's great to keep it going as you say, but if you find yourself trying for a "streak" then go do some samu instead.

Just my humble unsui 2 cents, which is always to be taken with a grain of salt.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Thank you for this reminder Dosho,
    _()_
    Myoku

15/365

Gassho

Mark

21/365
    22/365
    Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

23/365

Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

16/365 17/365

mark

24/365

Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    ...Yes, try to sit everyday, but if you become too comfortable sitting...get up and do something else. If you find yourself trying to last as long as you can...get up and do something else. It is possible to get attached to anything, even sitting. If you are aware of your tendencies, it's great to keep it going as you say, but if you find yourself trying for a "streak" then go do some samu instead...
    Thank you.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

58/365
    Gassho
    Jeff

18/365

Gassho,

Mark

19/365

Gassho

Mark

26/365

Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

20/365

Gassho

Mark

Keep it going, keep it going ... don't give up, strive hard, life and death are the Great Matter ... and the prize at the end of the road is Buddhahood!

Going it keeping, Going it keeping ... although no place to go, can go or in need of going, as the very road -is- Buddha beyond all life and death, the prize awarded in every step!

Which is the right way of seeing the race? Answer: YES!

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-25-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

21/365 I hope nobody is getting tired of seeing this thread...Jundo, I dont see this as a race, just something 'challenging'...

Gassho

Mark

Maybe "challenge" is the wrong term for this thread. Challenge connotates competition. I use it as a simple reminder to sit if possible, not letting laziness get in the way. Just a thought.
    61/365

Gassho
    Jeff

I agree...I meant a challenge to myself

Oh no, I understand Mark. By the way,I'm winning!

Oh wait...what? We will see next year who is a buddha...lol

Quote Originally Posted by markkemark View Post
    21/365 I hope nobody is getting tired of seeing this thread...Jundo, I dont see this as a race, just something 'challenging'...

Gassho

Mark
    Hi Mark,

Oh, it is most certainly a race, a challenge, a competition. This kind ...

Shikantaza “Just Sitting” is an unusual way of meditation, and might be compared to running a long distance foot race in a most unusual way. (Follow this link) ...
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...s-%28Part-V%29

Hang in there! Though there is no where else to go and you are already Buddha ... you are all getting closer, making progress, better and better toward becoming Buddha with each step.

Funny how that works.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-26-2012 at 12:58 AM.

This is certainly hard to understand...I sit with the goal of enlightenment, but I have already attained the goal each time I sit. I'll understand this eventually i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by markkemark View Post
    This is certainly hard to understand...I sit with the goal of enlightenment, but I have already attained the goal each time I sit. I'll understand this eventually i'm sure.

Yes, simply (in Just Sitting) thoroughly drop thoughts and emotions of greed, anger and divisions ... thoughts of past and future ... aversions and attractions, likes and dislikes ... personal ratings of perfection and imperfection, pure vs. impure ... self-comparisons and jealousies, of "improving" or "worsening" ... thoughts of how things "should be" or "I want life to be" ... including thoughts of "Buddha" and "attaining" anything and "Enlightenment" ... drop all goals ... finding the way of body-mind where the self's little "me myself mine" self-centered judgments and desires are dropped away ...

... thus finding the Way to Buddha here all along that is Free of all That, Where and each step is a Total Arrival, thus attaining the goal of Pure Supreme Perfect Enlightenment ...

... then get up from the cushion and figure out just how to actualize and bring to life all that Wisdom and Compassion in this messy, disappointing, tangled world of thoughts and emotions, past and future, likes and dislikes, war and peace, sickness and health ... living free of all that mess as/in/through-and-through the mess ... untangled by life's constant tangles ...

... something you actually get better at with time and continued, sincere Practice (as with any skill, from cooking to sailing) ...

... all until we are someday Perfect Golden Buddhas like in the sacred Sutra story books.

It's not rocket science.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-26-2012 at 01:05 AM.

zazen kinhin zazen....and all that arises through day and night 11/365

27/365
    28/365

Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

22/365

Gassho

Mark

29/365

Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

30/365
    31/365

Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

23,24,25/365

Gassho,

Mark

65/365
    Gassho
    Jeff

26/365

Gassho

Mark

May this Ango be a fruitful experience for all!

32/365
    33/365

Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

27/365

Gassho

Mark

34/365

Gassho,
    __/\__
    Mike
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Starting over
    No starting over
    No end to starting over

1/365

Gassho
    Jen

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast