Thread: Old BBC documentary

Old BBC documentary

Hello,

Gregory Wonderwheel posted this link to an old BBC documentary on another forum, and I was surprised to end up really liking it in many ways:

http://<iframe class="restrain" titl...="0"></iframe>

Thank you for your interest!

All the best and Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Re: Old BBC documentary

Hi.

_/_

Maybe we should gather an library of links to good videos/documentaries on Buddhism other than the talks the priests of Treeleaf does, hmm...

Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Hi.

_/_

Maybe we should gather an library of links to good videos/documentaries on Buddhism other than the talks the priests of Treeleaf does, hmm...

Fugen
    Hi Fugen,

Yes, we are going to add videos, internet resources, podcasts etc. to supplement our present "recommended book" list as part of the redesign and update for Treeleaf now being worked on.

Gassho, Jundo

thX Hans

gassho
    gilles

Thanks Hans....love watching such videos in the evening instead of TV.

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Hi.

_/_

Fugen
    +1!

Thanks for the link, Mongen!

I'll watch it tonight

I liked it very much. Thank you

Hans, thank you for posting the video. It was interesting.

Thank you Mongen;

i also enjoyed the video. Of course as stated in the video, Zen is not the last word :shock: ; that(i.e. the last word), in a Kanji Learner's Dictionary on a shelf in the house where ( I) live is "zutome." :roll: It is shown as Meaning "service."
    e.g. ????? ( ??? ????? ) - Jiin zutomesaki / serving in a Buddhist Temple 8)
    Sorry, Maya made me do it. Seriously, the video is well worth the viewing time.

Interesting!

Can anyone tell me more about the "sword fighting" that goes on around 10:00-12:00?

Gassho

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka
    Interesting!

Can anyone tell me more about the "sword fighting" that goes on around 10:00-12:00?

Gassho

Jen
    Hi Jen,

I found it a very well made documentary too. But, like 90% of the books and films on "Buddhism in Japan" ... while doing a good job of showing some of the several flavors of "Buddhism in Japan" ... the film does not really make clear that there are various flavors of "Zen in Japan" too, and just covers that Zen is Zen is Zen.

Of course, in fact, Zen -IS- Zen is Zen and all flavors of Buddhism and Zen are all absolutely the same with difference ... even while being sometimes quite different in outer packaging.

The swordsman and teacher was Omori Sogen, one of the great modern "Samurai" Rinzai folks ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omori_Sogen

Don't get me wrong, I have seen Soto folks wield a dandy sword and ink brush too. Generally, though, we are more the "soft, round style" of Zazen vs. the "hard, straight style" of Rinzai folks like Omori Roshi (I think martial arts folks will understand what I mean).

Gassho, J

Several years ago, I attended sesshin with Tanouye Tenshin Roshi, one of Omori Sogen's students. We did a fair bit of calligraphy practice and some kata with bokken (wooden swords). It was very different from what we do at Treeleaf--but also very much the same.

-T