Thread: Favorite iPhone meditation timer?

Favorite iPhone meditation timer?

There are a few threads where people mention meditation timers for the iPhone (or for other smartphones). I thought I'd ask here what everyone likes.

I have Insight Timer, and it's ok, but I'd rather not have something with numbers; I like the idea of the Enso Pearl (http://www.salubrion.com/products/ensopearl/index.php), but $100 for a timer is ridiculous.

There's one called i-Qi Timer, which has a similar display, but you need to set the backlight on your iPhone to stay on; otherwise, it goes dark, and you can't see it.

I find a nice one today: it's called Mind, and it's free, and has only two features: choose the time, then start the timer: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mind/id419702358?mt=8

But I like the idea of something that shows time remaining without numbers.

Anyone else have a favorite timer to add?

Re: Favorite iPhone meditation timer?

+1 for Insight Timer.

I like the Insight Timer. I like that the display dims so that you can't see how much is remaining. I think my favourite features are the online aspects. It posts the starting and ending of my sittings to both Twitter and Facebook. Also I am able to put in the Twitter hashtags of #OMCru and #Treeleaf so that it calls out to other sitters when I'm about to sit. I also add into that post the URL for my Google+ page for them to join my hangout. Lastly, it has it's own online community. I've actually met two people from Dallas who sit with me regularly just through the Insight Timer 'community'.

Of course, it's also neat to see it track your sittings:

As for the Enso...my shakuhachi teacher uses that for his practice. I think the one notable thing about that is how small it actually is!

Gassho,

Dokan

Attached files

Jigme

Since my iPhone is always with me, I make do with the free-bee, Insight Timer Lite.

Favorite iPhone meditation timer?

I also like insight timer. Undo isn't too bad either, but I like how you are sitting with others on insight.

Gassho,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan
    That actually seems a bit anti-zen to me. I don't think that I want to know how much I've sat, or how many times.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc

Why are you looking? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin

Why are you looking? :P
    There are times when I may not have the time to sit an open-ended session. I don't often use a timer, only when my time is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan
    That actually seems a bit anti-zen to me. I don't think that I want to know how much I've sat, or how many times.
    Probably could be said about the whole thing of having a timer at all I'd guess.

Gassho,
    Dokan

I like Insight Timer because of the selection of bells has the best sound quality that I've found. I don't look at the timer numberals. When the bells ring, I know where I am or when I am done. And if I don't want to quit yet, I find the bells beautiful and not so intrusive so that I can't continue sitting, if I desire.

I also like the journal that you can write in after your sittin,g if you are so inclined. Gassho, Grace.