Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Real Deal?

Re: The Real Deal?

SERENITY NOW!!!! (Seinfeld reference)

I cannot wait (as I think all of Treeleaf cannot at this point) to start this book!

Gassho,

Risho

Great. So....anybody know what we're going to do when we are done with the book?

Daido

I would worry just yet, it'll take the best part of a year :shock: :lol: :lol: 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo

I do believe we are, cause we will be beginning the Book of Serenity ... NEXT WEEK! No kidding here either.
    Wait, really? 'Cause I was starting to think it was all some Zen trick, reading by non-reading or something. :lol:

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse

Sorry, wrong Zen school. They do koans at the Rinzai internet sangha down the street.

(Kidding, of course.)

Chet
    Thanks for that. Chet, I am new to the study of Buddhism and I understand that there are differences between the Rinzai and the Soto traditions of Zen study. The Rinzai use koans to help them achieve enlightenment? I thought that Soto Zen was not as heavily dependent on the study of koans, but instead the centered on the practice of shikantaza; however, is there no pondering of koans in Soto at all? Could someone elaborate on this for me? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Lou
    Thanks for that. Chet, I am new to the study of Buddhism and I understand that there are differences between the Rinzai and the Soto traditions of Zen study. The Rinzai use koans to help them achieve enlightenment? I thought that Soto Zen was not as heavily dependent on the study of koans, but instead the centered on the practice of shikantaza; however, is there no pondering of koans in Soto at all? Could someone elaborate on this for me? Thank you.
    Please standby for an answer (not to the koans, perhaps, but at least to your question about koans! 8) ) This topic will be the subject of some posts and talks in the coming days as we get ready for the Book of Serenity Koan collection.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Daido
    Great. So....anybody know what we're going to do when we are done with the book?

Daido
    Be Serene! duh :mrgreen:

excited for the book!

In what other Zendo could you find support, comfort, and help at anytime of the day or night? Where else can you go anytime and re-experience that help whenever you need it by re-connecting and re-reading and reaching or reaching out again if you need? Does it get any more real?

Not even my loving husband, whom I should not call now because it is 3 hours later where he is than where I am, seems any more real. To me, at this moment in time, nothing is more real than here. Gassho, Grace.

Couldn't have been said any better Grace.

Gassho

Willow

Thank you Grace _/_

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123