Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: WHAT's NEXT!?!

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: WHAT's NEXT!?!

Almost each week someone asks me, "What comes next in my practice? How do I deepen it? What should I do now? What book should I read with all the secrets? I feel like something is still missing and that I must do more."

But how can I respond to such a question when the very heart of this Path is learning to live and be this life radically FREE OF THE NEED FOR 'WHAT'S NEXT', LIBERATED OF 'SOMETHING MORE THAT NEED BE DONE', FULFILLED OF 'ANYTHING MISSING'!

Oh, don't misunderstand. I typically respond that, together with daily sitting, there are some 'this and thats' that we can do to deepen our practice ... such as another 'Zen Book' to read or 'Zen Talk' to hear, studying a bit more of Buddhist and Zen teachings, attending more retreats, adding more practices such as Samu, Bowing, Chanting, Sewing, studying the Precepts or undertaking a Jukai, learning to bring 'Zazen' off the Zafu and to all aspects of life ... ALL ENRICHING WAYS TO DEEPEN THIS PRACTICE!

And, though there is "nothing ever missing or in need of adding and doing" ... that does not mean that there are not things to lose, gain or do! Learning to be free of the "need for change" is a REVOLUTIONARY CHANGE ... a change helped along by things we need to do and change, such as learning to be less driven by GREED, ANGER and IGNORANCE! In this crazy-sane practice, we master how to live 'without need for change' by changing some things about us ... including the view that anything is ever in need of change ... thus bringing about an EARTHSHAKING CHANGE in how life is encountered! Oh, a CRAZY-SANE KARMIC KATCH-22!

However, the fundamental Heart of this Path must remain learning to be so intimately At Home, At One with life ... that there is no need for "what's next" ... no hole to fill as "something missing". Our way to do so is simply to sit Shikantaza, dropping all thought and desire for "what's next" ... all while welcoming and embracing whatever comes next.

So, please learn ... in one's heart of hearts ... that "what's next" is learning to live freer and freer of "asking and needing, running after or away from 'what's next'"

I sometimes hear other teachers speak of flavors of Buddhism that promise to liberate us from this world, to encounter states of mind-and-body free of time and space! Many promise to take us from this world or ordinary being to another world or state of being. They seek for such states as "what needs to be done" and (hopefully, if the practice works out) "what's next". I don't much care for such Buddhism.

That's because this Way of Shikantaza, if properly mastered, liberates us from this world right in this world. Time and space are fully realized, dropped away and found again, in each instant of time and inch of space. Our way takes us from this world of ordinary being ... and leaves us squarely right back in this world of ordinary being ... NOW REVEALED AS ANYTHING BUT 'ORDINARY' ALL ALONG.

All that, simply by dropping to the marrow 'what's next'.

'What's next' then turns out to be ...

'NOTHING ELSE IS NEXT, THUS EVERYTHING IS NEXT!

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended

Last edited by Jundo; 06-21-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: WHAT'S NEXT!?!

Thank you Jundo

Gassho,
    Yugen

Water or soda pop? Give me water every time.
    Gassho, with thanks,
    Myozan

Thank you Sensei Jundo!

Deep bow.........or two , even three deep bows

_/_

Good talk. But what's next? :mrgreen:

Seriously, can't thank you enough. Stuff I need to hear again and again.

gassho
    Greg

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: WHAT'S NEXT!?!

Wonderful. Thank you.

I'm still a junkie for special experiences. I would be lying if I said otherwise. It's crazy to be looking for the special, when I know in my heart that the ordinary is the most special thing in the world, when seen as such. Still there is a little bit of doubt deep inside, that keeps me from realizing it in the marrow of my bones. Can it be this easy? Yes, it can! I'm sure of it! I know how effortless it can be! Funny how the mind works...

Gassho,
    /Pontus

Thank you Jundo. Just what I needed to hear.

It is so easy to ignore whats right in front of us to seek for that special "place". Yet, in our looking elsewhere we miss the special place right within our grasp. Always present.

Thank you again.....

Thank you Jundo for the gentle reminder.

Gassho,

Dokan

PS - Up on podcast!

Thank you Jundo,
    good cleanup of my busy mind,
    _()_
    Myoku

Thank you Jundo Sensei for this wonderful talk.
    Personally, I haven't really bothered with these types of questions which you address from time to time. As for my practice....I'm not interested in magical carpet rides either :lol:

Gassho,
    Hoyu

Thanks Jundo - I appreciated this talk - though as Hoyu says - not really craving a magic carpet ride,
    if that was the focus it would put me off.

Gassho

Willow

Blog Entries

Thank you Jundo, your talk reminds me of the number of times I rode on the Yamanote line and looked up at the sign at the end of the car to see ? ?(tsugi wa / next up.) It always made me wonder why we are always in such a hurry to get to the next event-place-chapter-experience. Yes, by all means, let us all endeavor to just sit as thus 8)

Thanks very much for the reminder.

The only stage is just this.

Gassho

Ray

Thanks so much for this talk. I agree with your comment on Buddhist Geeks. I used to listen to their podcasts but listening to all of the different flavors seemed to muddy up my mind. I'd rather keep things simple by listening to talks about our practice here.

Gassho,
    Ekai

NOTHING ELSE IS NEXT, THUS EVERYTHING IS NEXT!
    Thank you Jundo.
    This allows us to have time for everything!.... and to allow, as Ecclesiastes says, a time to live and a time to die etc.

Gassho.

What comes next? This is always, always an ever present question in my life. I don't mean in terms of just practice on the cushion, I mean in my daily life. And it is a source of anxiety; in fact, I think this is the greatest barrier to my practice. Simultaneously, it is also a great source from which my practice comes to life... it supports my practice. When I first encountered this anxiety I ran from practice. But now I just try to sit with it.

I remember on the suggested books thread you mention that "What the Buddha Taught" is a good book, but it has a Theravedan slant. I didn't know what you meant at first, but now I think I get it. In Mahayana, dukkha, this what is next, is really the entry point to practice isn't it? This practice is moment to moment. As everything changes, we meet that dukkha again, anew and then resist the urge to block it out or add to it.. we just sit and practice. Sorry for the rambling.

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,

Risho

I want repeat what already has been written above. But I agree with them all. I am always waiting for the next moment, even when I sit..

Gassho
    /Ola

Thank you Jundo
    Gassho
    Gary

Thanks Jundo, I haven't been here for a while but enjoyed the talk immensely.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Thanks Jundo, I haven't been here for a while but enjoyed the talk immensely.

John
    Hi John,

Very good to see you.

Gassho, J

Jundo,

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Nice teaching!
    thank you Jundo!

gassho,
    J.

Thank you, Jundo.

Somehow my mind made a connection between this teaching and the Heart Sutra. I shall sit on this

_/_

*bows*

Hello Jundo,

just a simple thanks and Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Ah, what's next huh? The hermitage teaches me to not have expectations for what is next, but roll with that which is next as if it doesn't matter since then the next becomes a wonderful string of always now. Some days seem the same. Was that just Tuesday, or was it Thursday? Did Winter pass and is it now Spring. Ah, look the daffodils have sprung up overnight, or was it last week I saw them.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Thank you, Jundo.

gassho,
    Shujin

Blog Entries

Kyrillos wrote;
    Was that just Tuesday, or was it Thursday?
    We had green jello last night so it must be Thursday.

This is definitely one of the greatest challenges I face in my studies. It's hard for me to be reminded that life is not a race, and I am not trying to get to anywhere, or achieve a certain goal of completion in my study and practice. I guess it is because I was never a laid back person that felt they could let go and just let things happen, but that letting go is both the scariest and the most rewarding part of Buddhism as I see it. Thank you for articulating this guidance so clearly here.

I need to have this smacked into my feeble mind. Just what I needed to hear. Thank you,Jundo.
    Gassho
    Jeff

Thank you Jundo ... no need, just sit.
    倫道 真現

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

When sitting, just sit
    thanks for the talk jundo
    the way it is

Gassho
    bob

Thank you Jundo, this is wonderful.

Gassho
    Michael
    倫道 真現

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

Thank you! This is something that I was asking myself just yesterday. After reaching a few small personal goals or in the process of, I thought, "OK, what else can I sink myself into". What's next on the agenda. This sometimes causes a little anxiety and worry. Now, a little more clear.
    Gassho,
    Onken

Hey Jundo, what's your next talk about ???

(ducks and runs away)
    --- In every moment of our sitting all beings are receiving the ultimate help; they are all achieving perfect peace and perfect rest. --- Norman Fischer

Jundo

Thank you for the reminder - need more than anything to just sit, it is my luxury.

gassho

jayjay

Great talk on the "What's next" phenomenon

Thanks, Jundo.

Just yesterday I was reading a post by Taigu where he said hope is the other side of fear.

Krishnamurti talked a lot about the inability of experience to free us or satisfy us.

How could it, since we, as ego, are just experience? So it is just a case of dissatisfaction in search of more dissatisfaction.

Gassho,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Schauweker; 02-08-2013 at 05:28 PM.

This is a teaching I have to always remind myself.
    Thank you Jundo!
    Gassho
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by dharma7154 View Post
    This is a teaching I have to always remind myself.
    Thank you Jundo!
    Gassho
    Lee
    There is no "what's next" ... no place to go and nothing to attain.

And thus we keep moving forward, each day, diligently toward our goals.

It is not an either/or thing.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks Jundo!

Jundo, Thanks loved this. Just what I needed as I reboot my practice.
    Jukai '08 Dharma Name: Shinko

That's indeed a very important lesson and I will keep this as a reminder.

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Thanks very much Jundo!!

With gratitude for lesson.

Gassho,
    Edward
    Practice with humility, respect all beings, avoid attachments, give rise to prajña from your own awareness, put an end to delusions - Hui-neng

I will keep this practice too. Many thanks Jundo and much appreciation.

Deep Deep Bows

Davi

Jundo, I have nothing to offer but an ordinary (but sincere) thank you.

Gassho
    Matt
    Last edited by Genshin; 06-21-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    And, though there is "nothing ever missing or in need of adding and doing" ... that does not mean that there are not things to lose, gain or do! Learning to be free of the "need for change" is a REVOLUTIONARY CHANGE ... a change helped along by things we need to do and change, such as learning to be less driven by GREED, ANGER and IGNORANCE! In this crazy-sane practice, we master how to live 'without need for change' by changing some things about us ... including the view that anything is ever in need of change ... thus bringing about an EARTHSHAKING CHANGE in how life is encountered! Oh, a CRAZY-SANE KARMIC KATCH-22!

However, the fundamental Heart of this Path must remain learning to be so intimately At Home, At One with life ... that there is no need for "what's next" ... no hole to fill as "something missing". Our way to do so is simply to sit Shikantaza, dropping all thought and desire for "what's next" ... all while welcoming and embracing whatever comes next.

So, please learn ... in one's heart of hearts ... that "what's next" is learning to live freer and freer of "asking and needing, running after or away from 'what's next'"

Thank you very much for this lesson, Jundo!

Gassho.

YEah!!! great great reminder Jundo! thank you.

Gassho

kb
    Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.