Thread: Pinky fingers ache after cosmic mudra

Pinky fingers ache after cosmic mudra

Anyone else have this problem? I have tried resting the hands in my lap, holding them against my abdomen, and all kinds of spacing of the hands and still, my pinky fingers ache after sitting. What may be causing this?

Also, is it important for the thumbs to be at naval level, or can they be lower if sitting quarter lotus/burmese?

Re: Pinky fingers ache after cosmic mudra

Quote Originally Posted by keniz138
    Also, is it important for the thumbs to be at naval level, or can they be lower if sitting quarter lotus/burmese?
    Good question, I´ve been questioning the same after my last Zazen period.

Taking advantage of the question, I would like to ask why do we do that mudra? what is it importance/ historical background if any?

Hi,
    I rest my hands on a very small pillow when I sit. This seems to make the mudra more comfortable. Prior to doing this, the hand position was a bit difficult to maintain. Perhaps it is worth try.
    M

hi guys,

The full lotus provides natural support for hands to rest. If you don t do it, you have to use a blanket, a towel, a pillow or something to relieve the stress on the arms and shoulders as well as relaxing the arm muscles. pinky finger pain is due to too much pressure. Touching the abdomen does not mean pressing.

The hokaijoin is the great mudra of non duality and has a profound meaning I don t want to talk about. Find it yourself through practice!

Gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu

The hokaijoin is the great mudra of non duality and has a profound meaning I don t want to talk about. Find it yourself through practice!

Taigu
    It´s strange, it may seem rude hearing something like this from a teacher....but, as far as my practice goes just a little bit deeper, I realize that statements like this become the best advice anyone can give you .... no one (inlcuding your teacher) can take you to the path of Buddha .... is something we can do only by ourselves, on our own feet .... at most , we can see the teacher and follow him while he walks to the Buddha. So, Practice, Practice, Practice.....

Gassho

Gassho

Taigu
    Still, I wouldn't mind a little hint

Gassho

Rimon

Anyone else have this problem? I have tried resting the hands in my lap, holding them against my abdomen, and all kinds of spacing of the hands and still, my pinky fingers ache after sitting. What may be causing this?
    Reminds me of the old joke:
    Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this. (bends his arm)
    Doctor: Well, don't do that!

Seriously, it sounds like tension to me. You might try loosening your idea of what the mudra should look like and simply rest in the closest relaxed version of it you can easily do.

Good luck.

Gassho,
    Eika

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Eika
    Reminds me of the old joke:
    Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this. (bends his arm)
    Doctor: Well, don't do that!

Seriously, it sounds like tension to me. You might try loosening your idea of what the mudra should look like and simply rest in the closest relaxed version of it you can easily do.

Good luck.

Gassho,
    Eika

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sound direction. Would rather have achy little fingers than achy knees Seriously - relax, find what's comfortable. My lower forearms are kinda resting on my thighs - everybody is unique. Cosmic - is that when you look at the night sky and realize how big you are or how small yu are?? What ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Rimon

Gassho

Taigu
    Still, I wouldn't mind a little hint

Gassho

Rimon
    Me either! :wink:

Understood, Sensei Taigu. Let´s practice, then...

Come on guys, he did hint!
    Non-duality!
    Does it matter what is means to Taigu?

Gassho,
    Pontus

Quote Originally Posted by Omoi Otoshi
    Come on guys, he did hint!
    Non-duality!
    Does it matter what is means to Taigu?

Gassho,