Thread: Frequently Asked Questions [by Osho/Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh]

Frequently Asked Questions [by Osho/Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh]

http://www.osho.com/meditation/furtheri ... m?FaqNr=64

Just something I came across this morning that may be useful. I've only read about half of it.

Regards

W

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Quote Originally Posted by will
    http://www.osho.com/meditation/furtherinformation/FaqDetails.cfm?FaqNr=64

Just something I came across this morning that may be useful. I've only read about half of it.

Regards

W
    Hi Will,

????!! It has been many months since your dropped in. Still in China?

I would be very very cautious with any writings of "OSHO" aka "Bhagwan Shree Rajnees" ... the charismatic guru owner of 93 Rolls Royces whose sex cult ended up in a murder plot to kill people in a small town through biological poisoning ...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/rajneesh.htm

Although an extremely charismatic figure whose writings can be quite entertaining, he was not particularly a "Zen Buddhist" (his teachings have been described as "a syncretistic spiritual path that combined elements from Hinduism, Jainism, Zen Buddhism, Taoism, Christianity, ancient Greek philosophy, many other religious and philosophic traditions, humanistic psychology, new forms of therapy and meditation, etc.") and I take anything he has to say on Zen with a grain of salt.

A short description of the meditation techniques he taught, not quite Shikantaza ...

His own "Active Meditation" techniques are characterised by stages of physical activity leading to silence.[173] The most famous of these remains Dynamic Meditation,[173][174] which has been described as a kind of microcosm of his outlook.[174] Performed with closed or blindfolded eyes, it comprises five stages, four of which are accompanied by music.[175] First the meditator engages in ten minutes of rapid breathing through the nose.[175] The second ten minutes are for catharsis: "Let whatever is happening happen. ... Laugh, shout, scream, jump, shake—whatever you feel to do, do it!"[173][175] Next, for ten minutes one jumps up and down with arms raised, shouting Hoo! each time one lands on the flat of the feet.[175][176] At the fourth, silent stage, the meditator stops moving suddenly and totally, remaining completely motionless for fifteen minutes, witnessing everything that is happening.[175][176] The last stage of the meditation consists of fifteen minutes of dancing and celebration.[175][176]
    Osho developed other active meditation techniques, such as the Kundalini "shaking" meditation and the Nadabrahma "humming" meditation, which are less animated, although they also include physical activity of one sort or another.[173] His later "meditative therapies" require sessions for several days, OSHO Mystic Rose comprising three hours of laughing every day for a week, three hours of weeping each day for a second, and a third week with three hours of silent meditation.[177] These processes of "witnessing" enable a "jump into awareness".[173] Osho believed such cathartic methods were necessary, since it was difficult for modern people to just sit and enter meditation. Once the methods had provided a glimpse of meditation people would be able to use other methods without difficulty.[178]
    Gassho, Jundo

Hi Will!
    Thanks for the link and nice to see you!

I will take note and heed when taking a peek good to take most things with a grain of salt!

Gassho
    Shohei

I would be very very cautious with any writings of "OSHO" aka "Bhagwan Shree Rajnees" ... the charismatic guru owner of 93 Rolls Royces whose sex cult ended up in a murder plot to kill people in a small town through biological poisoning .
    But why the caution? :wink:

Good to see you Will. I hope you are still making music and art too.

Re: Frequently Asked Questions [by Osho/Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh]

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. I've just been doing a lot of kinhin lately, sorting out posture etc, so the part about sitting kind of rang true to a certain degree. For my practice anyway. At that moment. But practice Changes every day.

I think I posted it because some people have a hard time sitting for 5 minutes, so Kinhin or other activities with a bit of sitting may be better for them until they balance out a bit more. I also thought the part about taking practice too seriously and becoming insane a bit relevant. So, I guess there's a balance there.

Anyway, Thanks for the replies. nice to see you.

Take Care

W

Good to see you again, Will!

Yeah. This guy was bit off his rocker. Maybe skip that one.

Gassho

W

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osho_%28Bh ... ajneesh%29

So nice to hear from you again, Will.

gassho

Taigu

I was thinking, if we both force ourselves with full effort and discipline, refusing to let be, and at the same time hold on with everything we've got, refusing to let go, then there is bound to be some tension, agitation, frustration. I guess that could drive some people over the edge in a bad way. This goes for both body and mind in my opinion, because they are not separate. I see both the forcing and the holding on to as resisting, a strong hand of delusional thought keeping a firm grip around our body-mind, compressing it, turning it into a small body-mind, small self. Release that grip and the body-mind expands, boundless and free, and there is big body-mind, Buddha's body-mind, True nature.

If we can't let go, then at least we can stop forcing and thus relieve the tension a little, while we continue to practice the non-practice of letting go, letting be.

Does it make any sense?

Gassho,
    Pontus

It does make sense.

Just one little thing though:

Release that grip and the body-mind expands, boundless and free, and there is big body-mind, Buddha's body-mind, True nature.
    This happy moment, kind of Christmas gift, a Buddha popping out the box...Well, that's what gets in the way. That's the happy ending everybody is chasing, the ultimate reward. Once forgotten, one can start to appreciate one's life.

Your last line is closer, much closer :

at least we can stop forcing and thus relieve the tension a little, while we continue to practice the non-practice of letting go, letting be.
    there is always that agenda thing, but it does sound better.

Now forget small self and big self.

Come back to Pontus before Zen, before all that stuff.

Take care and...thank you so much for your honnest and clear posts

gassho

Taigu

Ah!
    Thanks for catching that one!

I'll add then:
    Should a Buddha ever actually pop out of the box and give you the idea that you're enlightened, kill that Buddha on the spot and keep practicing the non-practice, living fully, freely, carelessly, naturally, confidently.

Gassho,
    Pontus

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Come back to Pontus before Zen, before all that stuff.
    NO!
    I object, refuse, resist!
    I won't go back to the marketplace!

But thanks. I see what you mean.

Gassho,
    Pontus

No matter how much you want the Buddha in a box, something will pop up, and take that away. Maybe you say "this is it", but then five minutes or five days later, your back to "oh crap!" Where did my Buddha go?" The best you can do is live with it as it is. All the talk aside, it comes down to your practice. Practice is enlightenment. Some ass hat said that.

Time for work.

Gassho

W

Quote Originally Posted by will
    No matter how much you want the Buddha in a box, something will pop up, and take that away. Maybe you say "this is it", but then five minutes or five days later, your back to "oh crap!" Where did my Buddha go?" The best you can do is live with it as it is. All the talk aside, it comes down to your practice. Practice is enlightenment. Some ass hat said that.

Time for work.

Gassho

W
    Nice! A Wise Ass Hat!

Gassho, J

Thanks Will!
    No end-gaining, no eternal bliss, just being you, accepting fully who you are, with all the crap that is also you. Practice here and now. Enlightenment here and now. Buddha here and now.

Gassho,
    Pontus

PS I'll read the Ass Hat's Big Book one day! DS

I knew a few people, fellow Australians, in the early to mid-1980s who professed that they were followers of Osho/Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh's and his hedonistic philosophy and so wore the appropriate orange/purple attire that was de rigeur for Rajneeshi followers. One of whom I knew became quite disillusioned with the guru and said that his, Osho/Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh's, whole philosophy could be summed up in the following few words: if it feels good, do it. I've never studied the guru's philosophy at any real depth so I can't can't confirm or deny the veracity of this statement.