I was listening to an interview with Robert Thurman and during the interview he was talking about the importance of monastic traditions and stuff like that. I know there was a post about "knocking down monastery walls" so I'm not here to re-start that thread. What I am interested in is what Thurman said about Japanese monks not being real monks because they do not have to be celibate and can have a wife and children. Since it is not a traditional Bhikshu ordination they should not call themselves monk because, in his words, "monk means celibate, they should called themselves priest or ministers, not monks."

In my limited understanding, this seems like a very narrow view about monk-hood to hold.
And sounds a lot like, "my tradition has real monks, not yours" type of attitude.

I remember what the current Kalu Rinpoche said about what makes a monk. If one sincerely wishes to help all beings, and is truly living their life according to the Dharma or precepts, then they are already a monk.

I have heard similar things stated about the Japanese monk tradition before from different traditions, and I'm just curious to know what you guys think about this.