Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

Hi Everyone,

So Google has released a feature called "Pages" in Google+. This allows organizations, business and such to host a page on G+. As many of you know (about 58 of you so far) we have a Treeleaf Sangha group out there that many are a part of. However, with the advent of this new option, I am hoping that we can migrate to the new Page. This will provide several good options for us. I can share management of the page, we can post updates to calendars and hangouts as well as host broadcasts of sits (Like the one Soen is going to do).

What does this mean for you. Only two things:

1. Add the new Treeleaf Sangha page to your circles:
    - https://plus.google.com/b/116930448607190706458/

2. When starting a Hangout, make sure Treeleaf Sangha is included.
    - This will make it visible to everyone in our sangha to join at will.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am going to write up a short guide this week on Hangouts and then post it up to that page.

Thanks for your continued practice.

Gassho,

Dokan

**Edit** - To help clarify that you are a Treeleaf member, please add something about Treeleaf to your "About" section of the G+ profile..or else I may miss you.

Re: Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

most excellent! I'm hoping G+ pages get a larger hangout capacity.

Thanks Dokan! I already added it to my circles.

Cheers!

Added

Gassho Dokan,
    thanks for your ongoing efforts, its wonderful.
    Myoku

OK, I've added it. I'm starting to get confused by Google+, to be honest. :-)

Dokan,
    You are a gem.
    Gassho.

Done, Good work Shawn!!

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc
    OK, I've added it. I'm starting to get confused by Google+, to be honest. :-)
    Exact same thing here!
    How do you create a video chat with this? I didn't took the time to look at it precisly but a tried two weeks ago, to share our weekly sitting (with Yang Hsin) and we didn't succeed... it was a very nice sitting anyway...

Have a very nice day everyone!
    And thank you for your sincere practice Dokan!

gassho,
    Jinyu

Just click start hangout to the right on the Google+ screen! Add treeleaf sangha or any circle/people you would like to sit with.
    I started yesterday, so I'm no tech guru though! :lol:

I think that as Google has been growing this service, it's been getting more and more features, over-complicating things with the noise.

I am going to put together a Quick-Start guide on how to start & join the Hangouts. Should be out this week.

Gassho,

Dokan

Thank you for this guys...
    And again, you are quicker than me, I was going to suggest it Dokan!

Have a very nice day everyone,
    Jinyu

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan
    I think that as Google has been growing this service, it's been getting more and more features, over-complicating things with the noise.

I am going to put together a Quick-Start guide on how to start & join the Hangouts. Should be out this week.
    That would be helpful. I'd like to be able to use my iPad to hang out; my laptop fan goes wild when using things like Skype, so it would probably do the same for a video feed via Google+. That would not be very conducive to sitting...

Thank Dokan. I have a G+ account and added people (Treeleafers) but as yet have not had the know how to access a Hang out ... any guidance would be well appreciated! Probably could do with some live experience!

This is a really rough draft and I may try to fix it more later, but here's at least something for the time being.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oC0 ... lgzCs/edit

I think maybe if I just show it in action it'd be easier. I spent more time with formatting than actual content!

Last summer I had created this video on how to setup G+ and the Hangouts, though some of the stuff may have been updated since then, it also gives an overview.

[youtube] [/youtube]
    Gassho,

Dokan

Done, thanks!

I think I'm sorted, thanks for the clear explanations Dokan. Look forwards to seeing you all around.

Gassho

undo

Ok, so I got how it works, now what's the protocol? Do you just start a hang-out whenever you sit and hope someone stops by? And if they do, when you're finished sitting, do you quietly leave and exit the hangout? It seems a bit odd, but since I've never had the luck to be on Google+ when anyone has a hang-out going, I'm not exactly sure what to do.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try and create a schedule, so people can know that at specific times, there might be a greater chance of others being available. Kind of like in a real zendo, where there is zazen at set times. My schedule is flexible that I could join one or more such sittings each day, since I work at home.

Is anyone interested in trying to work out some times that we could aim for?

By the way, it looks like you can't start a hang-out from a web browser on an iPad. It does work with the iPhone app in 2x mode, at least I was able to start a hang-out as a test...

Hi Kirk,

I'm also in the beginning stages of learning all the inns and outs of G+ but would like to share what(little) I know.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try and create a schedule, so people can know that at specific times, there might be a greater chance of others being available. Kind of like in a real zendo
    Our Zendo(wich is also real :wink: :lol: ) does have a schedule of sitters. Here is the link.
    http://www.treeleaf.org/zendo/schedule.php

Ok, so I got how it works, now what's the protocol? Do you just start a hang-out whenever you sit and hope someone stops by? And if they do, when you're finished sitting, do you quietly leave and exit the hangout?
    You don't have to hope someone stops by you can(actually I believe this is a must if you want others to join) click the invite button. When you do you get the option of from which circles you would like to include in your invitation.
    As to protocol. Yes fellow sitters sometimes come and go like the ocean waves. It's the same as open sitting times at brick and mortar Zendo.
    Now there is a small matter of etiquette. It seems like most people prefer muting the mic. Though ultimately we sit with what is!

Gassho,
    Hoyu(John)

Ok, so I got how it works, now what's the protocol? Do you just start a hang-out whenever you sit and hope someone stops by? And if they do, when you're finished sitting, do you quietly leave and exit the hangout? It seems a bit odd, but since I've never had the luck to be on Google+ when anyone has a hang-out going, I'm not exactly sure what to do.
    In my experience you do you own thing and if someone stops in then great, if not, great. It's simply sharing the practice. Only protocol I really follow is to bow in and out. So if I'm joining a sit, then I bow after I've connected, and then bow as I leave. Then I almost always post up a comment just saying thanks for the sit. Technically I do mute my microphone and speakers...giving me the full zendo appeal.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try and create a schedule, so people can know that at specific times, there might be a greater chance of others being available. Kind of like in a real zendo, where there is zazen at set times. My schedule is flexible that I could join one or more such sittings each day, since I work at home.
    There is a Treeleaf Zendo Google Calendar, however I've found that it's hit or miss as to when people are documenting the sits. For myself, I find that my sits are somewhat random and I have a hard time being consistent on the start times. I personally have "approximations" of 5-7am and 8-10pm. I find however that 5am CST seems to be a key time as Shokai, Myozan, Chessie, Chris & Peter seem to meet quite often. Also about 8pm CST I see Chris, Ron & JR meet up quite regularly.

By the way, it looks like you can't start a hang-out from a web browser on an iPad. It does work with the iPhone app in 2x mode, at least I was able to start a hang-out as a test...
    Yeah this is a new feature and is great for ad-hoc joining. It does have some limitations in that it doesn't show up in your stream (so others can't join after you've started, they have to be up and online when you send the invite) and you can't make any comments into your sit. I think the goal of Messenger was to have a video option for text chatting, but maybe this will continue to grow!

Gassho,

Dokan

PS - One more thing...back last summer I also created this. It may be helpful on getting up and running in the calendar, may be outdated. I have to re-check it, however not much has changed: [youtube] [/youtube]

Thanks Dokan and Hoyu for the Calendar reminder; it had me sitting for a whole hour instead of 5:30 to 6:00
    And Dokan; I like the 'Check your Hair' pic; not one out of place :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai
    And Dokan; I like the 'Check your Hair' pic; not one out of place :lol: :lol:
    Haha yeah. I spend so much time in the Green Room before I sit zazen. I don't want the shine off my skull fooling anyone into thinking they are having a satori experience.

Gassho,

Dokan

can the calendar containing my own Zazen times?

my standard schedule is
    Tuesday and Thursday : 2000-2100hr in Ho Sen Dojo, Antwerp
    Saterday and sunday : 1000-11.30hr in Ho Sen Dojo, Antwerp

i did try,
    but it just appear only in my agenda
    what do i wrong?

and i have to buy a webcam too :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Jiki
    can the calendar containing my own Zazen times?
    Yup but you have to first have access to edit the calendar. To do so, just send me an email: shawn.edwards[at]gmail.com.

From there, you will be able to add the calendar to your google account and add/edit items on it.

Gassho,

Dokan

Jiki,
    make sure to enter it in the Treeleaf calendar, so everyone can see it,

the default is your own calendar (as is mine in the above image), change that to Treeleaf and we all can see when you intend to sit.

_()_
    Myoku

ow ok Thx Dokan
    dont worry i don't need access
    U can just add those lines , they do not change

treeleaf is not appearing in the list, Myoku

dont worry about it,
    i was just playing a bit with it

going home now...

little question: the agenda does auto update? or do i it manually?

Jiki,
    it updates automatically and treeleaf appears when Dokan (or I) have added you,
    which I think is a good idea, as you can add and remove times when you will be
    sitting on google+, so others can join you life and in color
    _()_
    Myoku

thank you

Dokan,

Thank you for creating this page and drafting a guide on how to join Google+. I found it very useful.
    I think it makes sense to put the link with instructions into "TECHNICAL FAQ" section or make it "sticky" at the top in one of the subforums.
    Thank you for your efforts.

One request for people adding the Treeleaf Sangha page would be to make sure they put something about Treeleaf in their Bio, or maybe use the same picture from the forums. We get a lot of requests and I've only been adding those who I can confirm are Tree family!

Thanks!

Gassho,

Dokan

Dokan wrote:
    We get a lot of requests and I've only been adding those who I can confirm are Tree family!
    Speaking of this. I get lots of requests at G+ to add others to my circles. It can be quite confusing as to who is who and who is from where. Heck even my screen name doesn't match my Treeleaf one! Speaking of, Is there an easy way to change that so I don't confuse others as well??
    Recently I've kind of resolved to waiting to accept all those requests until I see whether any of those people are actually sitting or not. If not, why add them anyway? I'm not there for facebook like social networking or collecting large circles of friends.
    I know this method doesn't help with the overall Treeleaf issue Dokan raises but I just thought I'd mention my stance on individual accounts.

Gassho,
    Hoyu

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyu
    Speaking of, Is there an easy way to change that so I don't confuse others as well??
    Yes! When you are on your profile page (by clicking your name), just click "Edit Settings" at the top and then you can just click your name to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyu
    Recently I've kind of resolved to waiting to accept all those requests until I see whether any of those people are actually sitting or not. If not, why add them anyway? I'm not there for facebook like social networking or collecting large circles of friends.
    I know this method doesn't help with the overall Treeleaf issue Dokan raises but I just thought I'd mention my stance on individual accounts.
    And actually, if you are just there to sit, then you can just add the Treeleaf Sangha groups that I've been sharing. They contain all the known sangha persons.

Gassho,

Dokan

I decided to give this a whirl so I added Treeleaf to my circles last night. I started a hangout this morning - but, apart from no one being there (which is not surprising given the time zone differences and all), there were some technical glitches. I continued sitting anyway.

Anyway, if anyone's interested in sitting with me, I sit daily around 6:30 am, GMT+8 hours (Philippines timezone). I start out by chanting the Heart Sutra, followed by twenty minutes zazen, ten minutes kinhin, then chanting the Enmei Jukku Kannon Gyo, and close with the 4 Vows (not that you have to follow this format, it's just my own preferred daily routine).

Btw, Dokan: I sent you an email requesting for access to the Treeleaf calendar.

_/|_
    Raf

P.S. My name there is rafael070880.

Thank you Dokan! Everything worked out great with your help!
    Also updated my Treeleaf circle

Gassho,
    Hoyu

I have a circle called Treeleaf :mrgreen:
    with all you guys in it.
    I did not accept any request
    and still you are all in the circle

what is the difference between accepting or not accepting :?:
    just reading private stuff?
    I can post a message in the Treeleaf circle and you all can see it,
    and keep private post (and family) aside/separated
    my family have no interest in Treeleaf
    and Treeleaf has no interest in private stuff

Or do I see something wrong?

Thanks you.

Google+ does not work on my iPad. I may have to wait until I get a newer computer or until there is an iPad app release.

Gassho,
    Ekai/Jodi

So much to absorb for a newbie, but I've created a tree leaf circle on my Google+ account. I guess we'll see what happens from there.

Question. (and forgive me if this is posted somewhere else, again a lot to look through) For our weekly sit along, are we using google+, or just meeting in the Zen Hall? (another thing I have yet to figure out, lol)

Gassho,

Chuck

OK. So never mind that last question. I found the answer.

Interesting sit on Google + tonight. Visitors from further reaches of the internet. Have to make a mental note, turn speakers off. Or change settings from public. haha

It would be interesting to know what they thought though. "What are these people doing? How long are they going to just sit there like that?"

Chuck -- I can definitely relate to your experience. We were sitting awhile back, and a young man from Saudi Arabia joined the hangout. I think he was rather put off that we were all facing away from him, but I couldn't understand Arabic so I have no way of being sure.

gassho,
    Shujin

Re: Re: Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

Quote Originally Posted by chuck13
    Interesting sit on Google + tonight. Visitors from further reaches of the internet. Have to make a mental note, turn speakers off. Or change settings from public. haha

It would be interesting to know what they thought though. "What are these people doing? How long are they going to just sit there like that?"
    Yeah I always make my sits public. I have one gentleman of middle eastern descent who has sat with me countless times, although he just watches me. He's never commented or anything but I always thank him for joining. :lol:

Gassho
    Dokan

Hi,
    I use G+ to sit a lot. Do add me as a contact: Myozan Kodo. It's always great to sit with other Treeleafers.
    Gassho

Just a reminder. Please remember to add the Treeleaf Sangha Page to your circles and either drop a line here of your profile or put in your "about" section something referencing Treeleaf.

I get a lot of adds but I only add back people who I can confirm are Treeleafers. Thanks!

Treeleaf Sangha Page on G+

Gassho,

Dokan

Hey Dokan!

My Google+ username is philipdavidg. I think I've added you already.

I think I'm connected with most of the tree leafers on google + at this point. I also have a friend from the Kwan Um school who sits with me fairly often. Nice guy, add him if you'd like, "Michael Love".

So I had an interesting request from Alipasha Razzaghipour -

Dear friends at Treeleaf Sangha. I am part of the 'Plumeline' online Sangha. We have a number of online practice sessions - but these don't always fit with people's schedules. I was wondering if some of our members could join your online practice. Could you please provide a little more detail as when and how you practice. A deep bow.
    As it is today, the only people in the our G+ group are fellow Sangha-mates. I was wondering what is the sangha's opinion about how we can share sittings with other groups online?

Currently Plumline (from TNH's lineage) sits 30 minutes a day @

Please 'hangout' with us daily for 30min of silent meditation.

19:30pm UTC/GMT, London
    20:30pm Paris, Frankfurt
    6:30am Sydney, Australia,
    8:30am Auckland, NZ
    11:30am Los Angeles, Vancouver
    12:30pm,Denvor, Calgary
    13:30pm Dallas, Winnipeg
    14:30pm New York

You can find them here: https://plus.google.com/100453604255526795394/posts

Any ideas on how maybe we can share our practice? Maybe joining their sitting and then re-sharing with Treeleaf Sangha members would be the simplest.

Gassho,

Dokan

Google+ Treeleaf Sangha Page

That's awesome! Maybe make a Plumline circle on G+ and get into the habit of "inviting" that circle as well?

What do Jundo and Taigu think?

Ron

(When you click on the embedded link it sends you to the Treeleaf page. Is that what it's supposed to do?)

Shugen

Sounds great for me, but I'm a little bit confused about link as Ron.

Sorry about the broken link...silly internet... Try in the original post again.

I've been trying to think of how to share hangouts between sanghas...I was wondering what others think about doing something similar to Plumline on G+. Setting a time where we have an open sit for anyone. Maybe just pick a time that we agree is our busiest (seems around 8 pm Central) and then post it publicly to the Treeleaf G+ page. This way they could join our daily sit if they want and we wouldn't have to worry about user management and such. Some thoughts...

Gassho,

Dokan

https://plus.google.com/u/0/100453604255526795394/posts

This is the link for Plumline (I hope!)

Ron

Dokan,

I think that's a great idea!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast