Thread: One day intensive sitting (February 4th)

One day intensive sitting (February 4th)

Dear Friends,
    On Saturday, February 4th, I will be having a one day intensive sitting. I'll be sitting in our virtual Zendo on Google+. If anyone wants to join me for all or part of the day, here is the draft schedule below. All times are local time in Dublin (GMT).
    Gassho
    Myozan

Please Note: This does not clash with the Zazenkai, which starts on Friday night at midnight GMT. You can always do the Zazenkai and then join me a few hours later!

5:00 Wake-up
    5:25 Zazen
    5:55 Kinhin
    6:05 Zazen
    6:40 Heart Sutra / Oryoki Breakfast Preparation
    7:20 Breakfast
    8:10 Break

9:15 Samu
    10.15 End Samu

10.30 Zazen
    11.00 Kinhin
    11:10 Zazen
    11:40 Kinhin
    11:50 Zazen
    12:20 Jundo Dharma Talk on YouTube
    12:30 Oryoki Lunch
    1:20 Break

2:05 Samu
    2:50 End Samu
    3:00 Stretching / Free time
    3:50 Tea / Free Time

4:20 Zazen
    4:50 Kinhin
    5:00 Zazen
    5:30 Kinhin
    5:40 Zazen
    6:20 Taigu Dharma Talk on YouTube
    6:30 Dinner / Not Oryoki
    7:05 Break

7:50 Zazen
    8:20 Kinhin
    8:30 Zazen
    8:55 Refuges in Pali
    9:00 End of Day

Re: One day intensive sitting (February 4th)

Hi!
    Sounds great Myozan! Count on me!

Have a very nice day!
    gassho,
    Jinyu

This is fantastic. I'm in for at least the afternoon portion. Probably join you from around 11:00 GMT. Thanks for sharing your practice Myozan!

Gassho,

Dokan

Great way to take the initiative Myozan!

Count me in!! That's my weekend to work but I've got a plan
    I read online that you can join a hangout via the google+ app. Our hospital has wifi and a private prayer room. I will use my break times to sit along
    In the evening I will spend my usual sitting time to join in once again.

Downloaded the app. Now I just have to figure out how to actually join a hangout from it!

Gassho,
    John

Thank you for the invitation, Myozan. Coincidentally, I'm sitting a day long zazenkai with the local zen group here on 5 February. I'll join y'all for a couple of sits, however. This is a great idea; hope it goes well. I'd like to see more of this type of thing down the line.

gassho,
    Shujin

Great and positive responce guys. I'll post the final schedule here a few days before. It won't change much. Looking forward to sittting with you all, for any part you can make.
    Gassho
    Myozan

I can probably be in on this one. I am 5 hours ahead (start sitting 10 am local time)

Cheers

m

I won't be able to sit on the 4th. I will be judging at our winter Kyuki-Do tournament which is an all-day event. Will this be recorded to sit at a later time?

Gassho,
    Jodi/Ekai

Hi Ekai,
    I don't plan to record it ... not sure I even know how! It'll just stream live on Google+. Anyone that has me (M yozan Kodo) in a Google+ 'Circle' can see and join in. Sorry about that Ekai.

Also, Taigu will be recording a new teaching for the one day sit, so it won't be something you'll have seen before on YouTube.

Gassho
    Myozan

PS: Looking forward to sit with you Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo
    Hi Ekai,
    I don't plan to record it ... not sure I even know how! It'll just stream live on Google+. Anyone that has me (M yozan Kodo) in a Google+ 'Circle' can see and join in. Sorry about that Ekai.

Also, Taigu will be recording a new teaching for the one day sit, so it won't be something you'll have seen before on YouTube.

Gassho
    Myozan

I will try to sit with you in one of the Zazen and Kinhin sittings in the morning (my time is CST) before the tournament.

Gassho,
    Jodi/Ekai

Thanks Myozan..I will be there ..dropping in and out for family samu on occasions but at leadst I can try the early and late part all the way through. A great idea.

Hi Ekai,

Gassho
    Myozan

Yep - last time sat with this group I was on Japan time; starting at 2 am. This time round I end at 2 am. Combine them I have done my first all-nighter. Ha! (kidding) But in a few weeks time on NZ time I am as near as dammit to Japan time (hee hee)

m

Hi.
    It’s great that many of us will be sitting together for this. The usual Zendo etiquette will apply:
    Apart from the Heart Sutra and Oryoki chants, this one day retreat will be in silence (except for the stretching time, tea time; free time and dinner time).

Please enter the ‘Zendo’ at the start or end of a sitting (as much as possible). Kinhin is a good time to join or leave, or to go for a toilet break.

We will follow the schedule to the minute as closely as possible. The morning of the retreat I’ll Google “Current Time in Dublin Ireland” and use that as the official clock time.

I’ll ring the bells to start and end sittings etc. The Heart Sutra will be chanted together. We can take turns leading the chant for the two Oryoki sessions?

Okesa / rakusu will be put on at the end of the first morning session, with the ‘Sutra of the Kesa’ chanted in Japanese three times by all together.

Oryoki will follow Jundo’s instructions for simplified Oryoki (like our Rohatsu retreat).
    All chants will be from the Treeleaf Chant Book.

Also, I understand how hard it is to get a full free day for formal practice like this. It is certainly rare for me, what with family life. So, I understand most people will only be able to join for a little part of the day. But that company will be most welcome!

I’ll finalise the schedule and post the Refuges in Pali closer to February 4th.

Gassho
    Myozan

Myozan,
    As it currently looks I will join you for the first part, right from morning until around noon.
    _()_
    Myoku

Hi Ekai,

Gassho
    Myozan

Hi Myozan

I will be sitting in a motel room in Islamabad – the first leg on my long haul home. I will sit your morning program in real time but will be on my to the airport during your afternoon and may sit something with you while waiting to board. Anything is possible I will not have a computer connection.

Kind Regards

m

I'm planning to pop in as well.

Great initiative indeed. Thank you Myokan. Count on me for the morning part. Daddy-zazen-samu will start between 8:30 and 9:00 and goes on for the rest of the day.

Gassho

Rimon

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan
    This is fantastic. I'm in for at least the afternoon portion. Probably join you from around 11:00 GMT. Thanks for sharing your practice Myozan!
    Some minor modifications for me. I will still join you around 11, but will have to cut out early for a shakuhachi retreat...but will be suizen-ing in spirit.

Gassho,

Dokan

So glad we'll be sitting together. Fantastic!

Dokan, will you be around for Oryoki lunch? Anyone else planning on doing the Oryoki? Be great to share the chanting.

Also, after each Dharma talk we should have a short discussion.

Plan to post the final schedule in a few days time. Any changes will be minor.

And will post the chant in Pali too.

Gassho,
    Myozan

Hi all,
    Here is the final schedule for this Saturday. Don't forget the Zazenkai the night before. Looking forward to it.
    Gassho
    Myozan

One Day Intensive Schedule – 4 February, 2012
    All times GMT
    [Note]

5:00 Wake-up
    5:25 Zazen
    5:55 Kinhin
    6:05 Zazen
    6:40 Versa of the Kesa / Heart Sutra / Oryoki Breakfast Preparation
    7:20 Breakfast
    8:10 Break

9:15 Samu
    10.15 End Samu

10.30 Zazen
    11.00 Kinhin
    11:10 Zazen
    11:40 Kinhin
    11:50 Zazen
    12:20 Jundo Dharma Talk on YouTube & Discussion
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIpVO7Wub4&feature=plcp&context=C35d2130U DOEgsToPDskKs7t6C_T5xrBRif3z_XDg8[/video]] ... Rif3z_XDg8)

12:40 Oryoki Lunch
    1:30 Break

2:00 Samu
    2:50 End Samu
    3:00 Stretching / Free time
    3:50 Tea / Free Time

4:20 Zazen
    4:50 Kinhin
    5:00 Zazen
    5:30 Kinhin
    5:40 Zazen
    6:20 Taigu Dharma Talk on YouTube & Discussion
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEbNlCryA4A&feature=digest_tue[/video]] ... digest_tue)

6:40 Dinner (Off-Camera / Not Oryoki) & Break

7:50 Zazen
    8:20 Kinhin
    8:30 Zazen
    8:55 Refuges in Pali
    9:00 End of Day

THE REFUGES IN PALI
    Buddham saranam gacchami
    Dhammam saranam gacchami
    Sangham saranam gacchami

Dutiyampi buddham saranam gacchami
    Dutiyampi dhammam saranam gacchami
    Dutiyampi sangham saranam gacchami

Tatiyampi buddham saranam gacchami
    Tatiyampi dhammam saranam gacchami
    Tatiyampi sangham saranam gaccham

We can take turns leading the chant for the two Oryoki sessions?
    I can do the morning one. Please indicate if I should,

Do we do the Heart Sutra in Japanese or English ?

_()_
    Myoku

Thank you Myozan!

I'll be attending most of the day! I'll have to do a samu out of home for two hours, but otherwise I'll be there!

My pc is a bit old and my connection isn't at the best, so maybe I'll have to do parts without receiving the live video... if it happens I'll just follow the schedule!

Have a nice day everyone,
    deep gassho,
    Jinyu

See you in the morning guys.
    Peter: cool. Take the morning Oryoki chant. Great. And the Heart Sutra is in Japanese.
    Jinyu: look forward to sitting with you too.
    Deep bows.
    Myozan

It was a wonderful day's sitting. Deep bows to Peter Myoku (who sat a large portion of the day), Jinyu, Richard Shokai Maxwell, Chris Amirault, JR Brisson, Chris Armel and Shawn Dokan Edwards. Thank you for your practice. And thanks to Jundo for guidance in the preparation of today and my teacher Taigu, who offered an amazing new Dharma talk especially for this one day intensive. Many thanks.
    Gassho,
    Myozan

Many thanks to all sitting (chanting, samu-ing etc) , to Myozan making this happen and all involved. I was quite speechless after Taigu's talk, which is a good thing.
    _()_
    Myoku

We went out of town for the weekend, I expected to use the mobile phone to access Google + but no Internet access finally, but I followed the first part offline, from 5:00 am to a little before seven, when my young but very bright zen teacher gave me a very simple Dharma talk: "Paaaapaaaa! Hooolaaaa!" (daaddy! Heelloooo!)

I missed you all, but then, in a sense, I felt like being together with you

Gassho

RImon

Grącies per la seva prąctica, Rimon!
    Gassho
    Myozan

Thanks for your practice too, and for organizing the sitting!

Gassho

Rimon

Thanks to you Myozan and to all who participated!

It was a very good day of practice, just sorry I couldn't be with you all the time!

Have a great day everyone,
    deep gassho,
    Jinyu