Thread: Antaiji

Antaiji

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on going to Japan for the World Shakuhachi Festival in late spring. While there I am hoping to visit Taigu & Jundo, temples in and around Kyoto as well as the in-laws in Tokyo & Hachinohe. Probably not having a lot of opportunities to travel to Japan, I thought I'd look into the possibility of having a small retreat. Maybe 3-5 days. I've contacted Antaiji and am discussing the particulars, however I was hoping to see if anyone from Treeleaf has ever practiced there and if they have any tips or suggestions? I am hoping that my shakuhachi sensei may have an interest in joining me as well.

If anyone has any experience or know of other's experiences I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.

Gassho,

Dokan

Re: Antaiji

Hello Dokan,

I am sure Muho Noelke will tell you everything you need to know. He's German and very thorough, judging from all I've heard and read.

Be prepared for some relatively hard manual labour and loads of Zazen. In case you haven't spent all the money on new Shakuhachi by the time you get there , keep in mind that they can use all the Dana you can give them, as they are truly self-sufficient and don't get money from the Soto-Shu.

Wow, what an inspiring trip that's going to be!!!! Go for it!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Wow :shock:
    That is going to be a nice trip! :twisted:

About Antaiji, I remember a French guy did a small retreat there and made a little film about it.
    I think we've discussed about Antaiji and the lide of Muho there a while ago, maybe last year...

I'll try to find the little film and post a link here tomorrow... the place looked small and not fancy but the old parts of the building seemed nice, and the practice seem very profound, yet the sesshins are known to be particularly difficult.

Hope it helps!

Have a nice buddy,
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Hi Dokan,

They just had a special program about Antaiji on NHK not too long ago. Sounds like a great place to train to me. As has been mentioned though it seems quite intense with a 2 hour sitting(straight sitting that is) each morning&evening and heavy amounts of samu. As long as you know what to expect it shouldn't be a problem. Also, again as mentioned, I'm sure Dana would be be most appreciated as they are currently under construction to expand.
    I say go for it if you have the chance because I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience!

Gassho,
    John

Hi Dokan,
    I hear it's a great and difficult experience. Sittings are, I understand, 50 mins each ... And there are many, including back to back sittings. It is certainly worth doing, if you know what you're in for and can take it on as part of a wider trip.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Here is a recent video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW31YyMeoio&sns=fb[/video]]

Here is a sample schedule :shock:

03:40 Wakeup
    04:10 Zazen
    05:00 Kinhin
    05:10 Zazen
    06:00 Serve-up/Breakfast/Break

07:10 Zazen
    08:00 Kinhin
    08:10 Zazen
    09:00 Kinhin
    09:10 Zazen
    10:00 Kinhin
    10:10 Zazen
    11:00 Kinhin
    11:10 Zazen
    Noon Serve-up/Lunch/Break

01:10 Zazen
    02:00 Kinhin
    02:10 Zazen
    03:00 Kinhin
    03:10 Zazen
    04:00 Kinhin
    04:10 Zazen
    05:00 Kinhin
    05:10 Zazen
    06:00 Serve-up/Dinner/Break

07:10 Zazen
    08:00 Kinhin
    08:10 Zazen
    09:00 End of Day

Pfft...slackers.

What are they doing wasting all that time from 9pm to 3am?

gassho,

Dokan

PS - Thanks for the link!

Thanks Matt! This is the same one as what I saw on NHK. Though the one you shared was in English which was nice to pick up on a few things I missed(my wife also helped with translating) when viewing the Japanese version.

Gassho,
    John

Certainly looks like an interesting and very challenging place! Antithetical to the "funeral mill" style of temple Jundo has talked about.

Btw, I know there are at least a few Antaiji style communities in the US. Perhaps not as austere, but with zazen & samu heavy schedules. Sanshinji here in Indiana is one of them (Shohaku Okamura's zendo).

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    Btw, I know there are at least a few Antaiji style communities in the US. Perhaps not as austere, but with zazen & samu heavy schedules. Sanshinji here in Indiana is one of them (Shohaku Okamura's zendo).
    Very cool. As in the other thread that Ron revived I am keen interested in other's experiences at various zendos. Antaiji was only chosen by me because it is very close to my Japanese in-laws in Hachinohe and seems to be closer to my practice. Although truth be told. I really like to have some time to discuss with other on their practice as well, I don't believe Antaiji would be this type of environment. With any luck, we'll see.

Gassho,
    Dokan

Oh boy... I really want to go. One of the goals I have set since I was a kid is to travel to Japan.

I only have to make my little business produce more money! Hope I can go. It would be a wonderful experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan
    Pfft...slackers.

What are they doing wasting all that time from 9pm to 3am?

gassho,

Dokan
    Sometimes, one must sit long and hard hard hard ... all to realize** that there is no long or short, and nothing to attain. It is good to push oneself (pushing one's little self out of the way! 8) )

Sometimes, one sits in moderation ... beyond time ... all to realize that there is no long or short, and nothing to attain.

So long as one keeps sitting beyond time and goal.

Antaiji is, from all I have ever heard, a wonderful place.

Gassho, J

** ('realize' ... in both the meaning of 'get through one's thick skull and into one's bones' and 'make something intangible into something real though one's actions')