Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Book - Looking for Suggestions

  1. #1

    Book - Looking for Suggestions

    i am checking "How the Swans Came to the Lake [Paperback" by Rick Fields. I noticed that the last edition was printed in 1992. That's 20 years ago. Any more recent work that covers the same subject?

  2. #2

    Re: Book - Looking for Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    i am checking "How the Swans Came to the Lake [Paperback" by Rick Fields. I noticed that the last edition was printed in 1992. That's 20 years ago. Any more recent work that covers the same subject?
    Hi Choco,

    Yes, and excellent reading too, although already a little dated even for being just a few years old (2006). More than a "history" of how Zen came to North America (the primary focus of both books, Europe etc. not being so much covered there), it is a discussion of all the many different lineages, their individual histories and flavors of Zen found in North America (I think Mexico is also not well covered either) ...

    Zen Master Who? by James Ford (Look for Jundo Cohen on page 140, pre-Treeleaf days! plug plug ) **
    http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Master-Who-Pe ... 559&sr=8-1

    It is on our suggested book list ...

    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=889

    Gassho, J

  3. #3

    Re: Book - Looking for Suggestions

    There's an important correction to that book regarding Zen Master Samu Sunim:

    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/monkeym...amu-sunim.html

  4. #4

    Re: Re: Book - Looking for Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Zen Master Who? by James Ford (Look for Jundo Cohen
    :mrgreen:

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hoyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,024

    Re: Book - Looking for Suggestions

    Jundo wrote:
    Zen Master Who? by James Ford (Look for Jundo Cohen on page 140, pre-Treeleaf days! plug plug ) **
    I just had to pick up this book once I read that.
    Yup, there you were!
    Personally I think the author should have devoted a whole chapter to you. As you said though, this was pre Treeleaf days. I would hope that after blazing this new trail in the Zen world, as you've done now, he would have been enticed to write further at the time.

    Gassho,
    John

  6. #6

    Re: Book - Looking for Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    Jundo wrote:
    Zen Master Who? by James Ford (Look for Jundo Cohen on page 140, pre-Treeleaf days! plug plug ) **
    I just had to pick up this book once I read that.
    Yup, there you were!
    Personally I think the author should have devoted a whole chapter to you. As you said though, this was pre Treeleaf days. I would hope that after blazing this new trail in the Zen world, as you've done now, he would have been enticed to write further at the time.

    Gassho,
    John
    Ha! Since I wagged my finger at James Ford and Dosho Port on their Koan comments last week, it might not have been so kind! :wink: Actually, I am not the only Soto teacher finger wagging ... our old friend Nonin and some others did so as well:

    viewtopic.php?p=67275#p67275

    Gassho, J

Similar Threads

  1. ANNOUNCEMENT: Our Next Book Club Book! - Book of Equanimity
    By Jundo in forum "BEYOND WORDS & LETTERS" BOOK CLUB
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 02:50 PM
  2. ANNOUNCEMENT: Our Next Book Club Book! - Book of Equanimity
    By Jundo in forum TREELEAF COMMUNITY: Topics about Zazen, Zen, Buddhism & MORE ZAZEN!
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 11:10 PM
  3. Book Suggestions re: buddhist history/monasticism
    By Shujin in forum TREELEAF COMMUNITY: Topics about Zazen, Zen, Buddhism & MORE ZAZEN!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 08:15 PM
  4. NOW STARTING NEW BOOK IN OUR BOOK CLUB - SHOBOGENZO-ZUIMONKI
    By Jundo in forum TREELEAF COMMUNITY: Topics about Zazen, Zen, Buddhism & MORE ZAZEN!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 05:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •