Thread: 23/12 zen seeds p. 111- 122

23/12 zen seeds p. 111- 122

Hi.

A mothers daily conduct.

I would like to bring up an talk one of the priests of Treeleaf did a while ago, about motherly heart, plz watch it again.
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4336

Other than that i have nothing to say but a question, (1) what makes your mother so great?

My two teachers

I am just an Unsui, but i have no trouble with people calling me teacher or sensei or padre or onshi or whatever. For me it isn't a problem, as it might be for some, as it lies in the intent and where the word originated from. If the word originated from the so called teacher, i believe they missed the mark, if it came from the students, it hit Bulls eye. I revere alot of people as my teachers. Some of them even here on Treeleaf.
    And i like doing things for them, both standing in front of a crowd or doing things in the background, just to be able to give something back.

(2)Think of a person you regard as one of your teachers and try and say why you regard them as such.
    (3)What/how can you do to repay/give something back to them?

Thank you for your practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Re: 23/12 zen seeds p. 111- 122

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Think of a person you regard as one of your teachers and try and say why you regard them as such...
    The most relevant example for me is Jundo. I did not consider him my teacher until around the time I decided to take Jukai, because at that point I began remembering and living by his teachings more than other paths I had been reading into. Things that he would say that I initially was at odds with eventually became like koans that showed me something I didn't realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    ...What/how can you do to repay/give something back to them?...[/i]
    Be or give an accurate representation of what they have taught.

*Edit: And if you ultimately come to disagree with or break from that teacher, at least honor them in your thoughts for being willing to teach what they know.

Thank you for the posts, Fugen. I'll have to think about the first question for a little bit. I love my mother, of course, but family is complicated sometimes. Practicing with this question will help me as I'm visiting my folks over the holidays.

Aside from Treeleaf, I regard one of the guys I work with in my unit as my teacher. We're the same rank, but he's four years my senior in age and experience. He is a highly skilled officer, but also one of the most generous people I know. If I have a question, he'll almost always pick up the phone or come over to help. The fact that he's able to look beyond himself and share his training and experience is what impresses me most. I don't feel that I can adequately repay him directly, but I can pass on what I've learned to others. I can also integrate a greater spirit of generosity to this life.

gassho,
    Shujin

Gassho Shujin. I have many people I work with that I feel that way about.

For me I have always felt that I could learn something from anyone or thing.

For me I have always felt that I could learn something from anyone or thing.
    Thanks for that Mike.
    It takes some humility to learn that... not something I had in my youth.
    Anyway I consider many/most/all the forum members as teachers and I am particularly enjoying the two sided coin of Jundo and Taigu's teachings.

What I can do to 'give back' to my teachers is my continued dedication to this practice that they/you inspire, and hopefully one day, when the flow of life allows, to attend a Treeleaf retreat or at least pay respects in Japan.

One thing that I could do is to make a resolution to start a thread!.... and at least attend a Tea Party!... Which I am ashamed to say I have not done as yet. ops:

A mothers daily conduct

...touched me, remembering me of my mother. Mothers, and luckily these days also some / many fathers are truly
    devoted. Without hindrance of mind they take care, so true. Inspiring Bodhisattva work. Gassho.

My two teachers

I cannot but thank you all, my teachers. Jundo and Taigu in particular, but actually its all teaching and teachers

Gassho
    Myoku

(1) She gave the gentle push that got me going! Like I've said before, although she died over fifty years ago, she is still the small voice inside my head.
    (2) Yesterday I was inspired by the dedication of one of the fellows that attends my fitness class.
    (3) Give back, pass it forward; try to transmit the compassion that grows within.

My mother passed away last year and so this is an issue close to my heart. I always feel a bit jealous when I hear of such glowing accounts as was presented in the reading. I loved my mother very much and was lucky to be able to tell he that ... one more time...right before she passed away. Nevertheless, the relationship was a difficult one and my mother was very troubled. After my mom's passing my aunt, who knew all too well of my mother's shortcomings, said that my mother passed on a sense of kindness to me. I thought that was a wonderful tribute to her so that's my answer.

On teachers Jundo and Taigu are the easy answer for me, but everyone at Treeleaf could also be included. OK this is weird but my dog, who passed away this last year as well....he reminded me how much I love dogs, which I had forgotten as an adult, and I do volunteer work for abandoned animals in his honor.

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW