Thread: Introduction to zen practice~Taigen Shodo Harada Roshi

Introduction to zen practice~Taigen Shodo Harada Roshi

I found this video today and thought it was a great introduction. Plus, if you are like me, and are a student of the Japanese language then hearing Zazen instructions in Japanese will be an added bonus :wink:

[youtube] [/youtube]

Re: Introduction to zen practice~Taigen Shodo Harada Roshi

Hello!
    I'm at work, so I can't watch the video. Maybe it is general enough to be a good introduction for all zen students. Just wanted to say that Harada Roshi cooks a sometimes very different soup from that of our in-house chefs! :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2308

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    A word of caution everybody...I have great respect for the tradition that Harada roshi represents, student of the great Yamada Mumon Roshi, abbot of Myoshinji and great Koan teacher. The tradition here is Rinzai. The emphasis on abdominal breathing, the need to clear up our mind, to bow in front of that pure nature which pervades everything have a clear taste of a different tradition from the one we practice here. Dogen, the founder of our tradition, never mentions abdominal breathing, never say that only dusting the mirror is it, and that bowing is something special apart from bowing. What I really want to say is what Jundo said already many times, one should not mix traditions, not because some traditions or practice styles are superior to others, but because once you practice too many things, it gets very confusing. One thing at a time. I find what Harada roshi says very touching particularly when he speaks about everyday life, and at the same time I can sense this same intention, effort, will that is one of the flavors of his style, and of many Japanese teachers. I would like to add that I also sense an idealistic edge to his approach, the fact he strictly opposes the self and the pure buddha nature. This, in my limited understanding, is not what is the core of our tradition which is nondual in essence.
    /Pontus

Oh this is so nice! I will download it and watch it on my phone as I travel back home.

Thanks for sharing, Seiryu!

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    A word of caution everybody...I have great respect for the tradition that Harada roshi represents, student of the great Yamada Mumon Roshi, abbot of Myoshinji and great Koan teacher. The tradition here is Rinzai. The emphasis on abdominal breathing, the need to clear up our mind, to bow in front of that pure nature which pervades everything have a clear taste of a different tradition from the one we practice here. Dogen, the founder of our tradition, never mentions abdominal breathing, never say that only dusting the mirror is it, and that bowing is something special apart from bowing. What I really want to say is what Jundo said already many times, one should not mix traditions, not because some traditions or practice styles are superior to others, but because once you practice too many things, it gets very confusing. One thing at a time. I find what Harada roshi says very touching particularly when he speaks about everyday life, and at the same time I can sense this same intention, effort, will that is one of the flavors of his style, and of many Japanese teachers. I would like to add that I also sense an idealistic edge to his approach, the fact he strictly opposes the self and the pure buddha nature. This, in my limited understanding, is not what is the core of our tradition which is nondual in essence.
    That's how I saw it and still see it too.

Gassho, J

I would say the same...

By the way, watch respectfully the following video featuring Harada roshi and two students and understand how different our teaching styles can be...
    There is nothing to criticize here, nothing to blame or judge, just with an open mind watch and you may start to realize that we really have two distincive recipes to bake the cake ( and yet they are the same ).

[youtube] [/youtube]

gassho

Taigu

Thank you for sharing Taigu

I can see why that approach would work for some.

Your mind has to be so focused since you really can't anticipate what will happen next. Completely in the here and now, out of fear, out of arrogance, either way your mind is completely focused. Any little thing can push you over the edge.

Many fingers point to the moon, Soto finger, Rinzai finger, Christian finger, Jewish finger...Can we let go of the finger and grasp at the moon.

Some fingers point at the reflection of the moon....

is there any difference there?

Yes, All is the Same Same Same, beyond and holding all ideas of this and that and same and different.

Harada Roshi has his ways to taste Same, Taigu Roshi has his ways to taste Same. Same Same Same. Yet ...

Different Different Different. Same is Different, Different precisely Same. Though all are the Great Sport and the Field Boundless, yet basketball is not football.

Here, we teach basketball. Introducing pointers on how to play football is of limited relevance, Seiryu. One has a basket, one has an end zone. One is played with a basketball, one a football.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by chugai
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Yes, all is the Same Same Same, beyond and holding all ideas of this and that. Harada Roshi has his ways to Same, Taigu Roshi has his way to Same. Same Same Same.

Different Different Different. Same is Different, Different precisely Same. Basketball is not football.

Here, we teach basketball. Introducing pointers on how to play football is of limited relevance.

Gassho, J
    We are basketball players here?
    Sensei, I am laughing so hard ... imagining us as a literal basketball team ... oh, man
    Yes, we are ... with nothing to win or lose even as we diligently run up and down the court. The ball is in the basket from the first, yet we take our best shots.

All sentient beings are ever All-Stars! That being said, some on this team are more talented than others.

Phil Jackson is the coach ...

http://www.adherents.com/people/pj/Phil_Jackson.html

Gassho, J

And so, we now know Coach Jundo's secret; this is a football :roll: (hold on coach, you're going too fast! :lol 8)

Conversely, we have Vince's other speech; http://bit.ly/iVTSGX
    Personally, I prefer Phil's approach (Harada/Lombardi vs. Jackson/Cohen :? )

Different strokes for different folks, but when you combine the recipes, the stew becomes a mess