Thread: Meditation and the iPhone

Meditation and the iPhone

Hey guys I've been using the virtual meditation app on the site for a few days and I like it a lot. I just got an iPhone and it of course does not do flash. Unfortunately, the meditation app is flash. Is there any handy meditation aid available for iPhone?

Re: Meditation and the iPhone

I like the "Insight Timer". very flexible and has many options

Sometimes the power button is the best app on the phone I find.

But I agree...Meditation Timer is a nice clock that can control the phone quite well to keep your sit timed and undisturbed.

g

s

I also use the "Insight Timer" and like it.

I'll have to check out insight timer. I use Meditation - Meditation Timer. I also use a file I copied from a cd in a book by Daido Roshi called 'Finding the Still Point". It has tracks for a 10 minute and 30 minute sit. I like the sound of the bowl, so I use it more often than my app. I guess you could also just use the alarm that comes with the iPhone, but that wouldn't be as fun. lol

Hiyas
    I often use insight timer, but this thread had alot of others :http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3313&p=46399&hilit=meditation+ timer#p46399

Failing that, battery power I use incense or just kinda of do it by feel!

Gassho
    Shohei

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

I just have a lowly iPod, but I've made inkin bell MP3's in 20 and 30 minute intervals which serve as my meditation timer, and several teachers in my lineage post dharma talks in MP3 format as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Piobair
    I just have a lowly iPod, but I've made inkin bell MP3's in 20 and 30 minute intervals which serve as my meditation timer, and several teachers in my lineage post dharma talks in MP3 format as well.
    Yes! That's what I was about to say.

I don't have a smart phone, so I made some simple timers that I carry with me on my dumb phone.

I made them for 10 to 40 minutes. Just the bell at the beginning and at the end and wonderful silence in the middle. (Names are in Spanish, but numbers are universal!)

If you guys want them, you can download them from my server. This way you don't have to spend money on an app!

http://reduxestudio.com/clients/chocobu ... -silencio/

I use the i-Qi timer, which is a free app.

I use the Insight Timer most of the time. Although I also have a couple of free ones, the I T has all the features I need, including several presets for different activities. I know I sound a bit like an advert, but it really is very user friendly (even for someone like me, whom the technological revolution left behind around several years ago).

I use Insight Timer, lots of features including Insight Connect where you can connect with other meditators from all over the planet. (If they're using Insight Timer too) :-)

I also use Insight Timer and like Fletcher said it does have loads of features! The only issue I have with using a phone as a meditation times is the constant barrage of sms and email messages, that can get a bit distracting while meditating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin
    I also use Insight Timer and like Fletcher said it does have loads of features! The only issue I have with using a phone as a meditation times is the constant barrage of sms and email messages, that can get a bit distracting while meditating.
    Hi Dustin,

Your right that is a big problem when trying to sit. I turn mine to airplane mode to avoid the myriad of distracting chimes from incomming messages or calls.
    Try it, it will change your life!

Gassho,
    John

Re: Re: Meditation and the iPhone

The only issue I have with using a phone as a meditation times is the constant barrage of sms and email messages, that can get a bit distracting while meditating.

You can disable that in the settings. Check it out here:

G

S

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips John and Shawn! I'll give your tips a go for tonights meditation!

Gassho,
    Dustin

Hmm... usually I just sit until I feel like I am done. Sometimes I check a clock and see if it has been long enough.

Occasionally, what feels like half an hour is only ten minutes! :P

Quote Originally Posted by shards
    The only issue I have with using a phone as a meditation times is the constant barrage of sms and email messages, that can get a bit distracting while meditating.

You can disable that in the settings. Check it out here:

G

S

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Hey no fair! The version for IPhone doesn't have this disable wireless connections feature

As John pointed out the iPhone doesn't have the disable wireless connections feature, but I ended up switching on the airplane mode and it worked like a charm!

Thanks again John and Shawn!

Gassho,
    Dustin

Just a quick update on this Insight Timer App. It now has the ability to post up to Twitter & Facebook that you are about to sit (or even had sat, which seems pointless). Kind of nice if you want to notify your friends.

Here's a sample:

Twitter:

Facebook:

I've customized mine to include a link to my Google+ profile page where people can then join me on the video feed. Also the #OMCru tag broadcasts it to a bunch of other sitters on Twitter, see onlinemeditationcrew.org...

Gassho!

Dokan

Attached files

Being that I am an entity completely separate from everything else in the universe.... hahah kidding.. Ok, so I caved and bought the Insight Timer. It's really cool. Which bell sound do you guys/gals use?

Risho

I typically have it set to the Shurong

I think it's called Kangse...it's pretty deep and not so jarring when pulling me back...

Risho wrote:
    Which bell sound do you guys/gals use?
    Fun question! Great to see what everyone's preference is
    I use Sakya most because it reminds me of the sound of the Orin that Rev. Jundo uses. I also like the Shurong wich ironically reminds me of the sound of the one Rev. Taigu used during Rohatsu. In fact it was hearing his during Rohatsu which made me check to see if zen timer had one which sounded similar. I must just be drawn more to familiar sounds.

It may sound weird, but when I use the Sakya I feel like I'm sitting with Rev. Jundo and likewise, when I use the Shurong I feel like I'm sitting with Rev. Taigu! Almost like I identify each of those sounds with the personality of the Sensei who chooses to ring the bells they do. Ok I need to go sit now because after reading this post I realize I think about this stuff way too much :lol:

Gassho,
    John

i use SOTO TIMER 2.2.1

Hi All,

I have something super cool to report!! You are able to use the Insight Timer at the same time as sitting live on Google+! The Google+ app and Insight Timer are an awesome combination! All this from one cell phone. How cool is that?!
    This is definitely how I'm going to do my daily sitting from now on!

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    I have something super cool to report!! You are able to use the Insight Timer at the same time as sitting live on Google+! The Google+ app and Insight Timer are an awesome combination! All this from one cell phone. How cool is that?!
    This is definitely how I'm going to do my daily sitting from now on!
    I noticed during our sit tonight that your camera was portrait mode and was wondering! I haven't tried it yet...maybe for my morning sit I will.

I have been loving the feature of it automatically posting the start of my sit and duration to Twitter and Facebook. I have sat with about 7 new people because of it just this week.

Gassho,
    Dokan

I noticed during our sit tonight that your camera was portrait mode and was wondering!
    Ok, non computer guy question here ops:
    What is portrait mode?

Gassho,
    John

http://bit.ly/xLQeYe

So actually it looked just like a phone display.. Instead of a computer screen shape. No a problem. Of course, just the first time I'd seen it. :-)

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan
    http://bit.ly/xLQeYe

So actually it looked just like a phone display.. Instead of a computer screen shape. No a problem. Of course, just the first time I'd seen it. :-)

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Dokan! I understand it now
    Perhaps if I put my phone on its side vs upright(as I had it) the image you see would then look like the usual computer style landscape?

Another thing to note about the Google+ app is that currently you can only join in an existing hangout. You can't start one
    Which makes me wonder if I join in someone's 15 minute sit and I'm doing 30, if mine will also end early when they quit? I just have to play around with it for a while to figure out all its ins and outs.

Gassho,
    John

Another thing to note about the Google+ app is that currently you can only join in an existing hangout. You can't start one
    I'm assuming you are using an IOS device? On Android you can start a Hangout through a new app called Messenger (Used to be called Huddle). This is a fairly new feature and so I imagine soon you'll be able to do so as well on IOS.

Which makes me wonder if I join in someone's 15 minute sit and I'm doing 30, if mine will also end early when they quit? I just have to play around with it for a while to figure out all its ins and outs.
    The Hangout won't quit on you, but unless you shared it with others when you joined, it won't be visible to anyone. So whenever I join a Hangout, I always reshare it with my Treeleaf Circle (or sometimes Publicly). This way, if the person I am sitting with leaves, those people I shared it with can still join me. Not sure on IOS how to do that, but on Android Messenger it's at the top of the screen.

Gassho!

Dokan

Thank you for the info about the G+ app.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rculver

Ron
    Hi Shugen,

It's a great app and I'm sold on it. It's been nice to use it to sit with you and Chris in the evening
    Plus having it on my phone will come in handy when sitting at work for parts of the February sesshin.
    Can't wait until it(iPhone version) allows people to start a hangout.
    Tonight I missed you(and Chris was busy cooking dinner) so I tried hanging out from my laptop. Well I forgot to hit the invite button so I sat alone ops:
    Also, it didn't post my hangout to the wall for some reason?

Gassho,
    Hoyu(John)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyu
    Quote Originally Posted by rculver

Ron
    Can't wait until it(iPhone version) allows people to start a hangout.

Gassho,
    Hoyu(John)
    you can! its just hidden. you have to start it within a messenger thread.

Also, it didn't post my hangout to the wall for some reason?
    If nobody joins and you don't post a comment it will not show up on your wall. I used to put a ton of stuff in there:

But now I just post that i'm doing zazen and for how long. This is from this morning:

For myself, I make my sits public and have met several others outside Tree this way...pretty neat stuff.

Gassho,

Dokan

Attached files

Hogen wrote:
    Hummm :?: I tried going to messenger and there are only 2 icons.
    One in the upper left which takes me back to the main screen with profile, circles, photos, etc.
    The other in the upper right just says start a new conversation.

*Edit*
    You were right! You can't access the option to start a hangout without first starting a new conversation. Which is different from starting one on a computer. I never clicked it before because I just thought it would only post a text based message to the wall for the group. Now I see that It's only after you have posted your message(thanks Dokan for the tip on this!) that you get the icon to actually start a video feed. Great to know! Thank you Hogen and Dokan!

Gassho,
    Hoyu (John)

I think I sort of have it figured out. Kinda complicated bot doable.

Thanks for the "how to" !

Ron

Shugen

So I'm pretty technical, and G+ has newbified me. hahahhahhaa

In any case, I'm trying to add you guys and gals, but in case I don't add you first, I'm Cyril Risho Coombs on G+.

Quote Originally Posted by Risho
    In any case, I'm trying to add you guys and gals, but in case I don't add you first, I'm Cyril Risho Coombs on G+.
    Just search for Treeleaf Sangha and then I can reshare with you all the Treeleaf Members...think about 58 atm.

Gassho,

Dokan

ps - Actively working on the documentation now with the help of my wife...hopefully have something out today.

Wow Dokan, way to pass the buck! hahaah just kidding

Thank you so much for your help with this!

Hogen wrote:
    Hummm :?: I tried going to messenger and there are only 2 icons.
    One in the upper left which takes me back to the main screen with profile, circles, photos, etc.
    The other in the upper right just says start a new conversation.

*Edit*
    You were right! You can't access the option to start a hangout without first starting a new conversation. Which is different from starting one on a computer. I never clicked it before because I just thought it would only post a text based message to the wall for the group. Now I see that It's only after you have posted your message(thanks Dokan for the tip on this!) that you get the icon to actually start a video feed. Great to know! Thank you Hogen and Dokan!

Gassho,
    Hoyu (John)
    one thing I might recommend is that we try to limit the new message threads that are started to facilitate hangouts. Right now, I have 3 message threads going and a 4th was started early this morning. I believe anyone can start a hangout via mobile from any one of those threads (not just one you start yourself). Makes it much more convenient to look to one thread rather than multiple ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogen
    one thing I might recommend is that we try to limit the new message threads that are started to facilitate hangouts. Right now, I have 3 message threads going and a 4th was started early this morning. I believe anyone can start a hangout via mobile from any one of those threads (not just one you start yourself). Makes it much more convenient to look to one thread rather than multiple ones.
    Great information! I didn't know that when you started one from messenger it became a permanent thread?! On my sit this evening(and thereafter) I will start from one of the preexisting threads.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Gassho,
    Hoyu/John

If you want to get rid of a thread, you have to "leave" it. Click on the conversation then click the gear looking icon next to the camera icon. One of the options is to "leave".

Ron

yeah, I just haven't done so yet because I didn't want to seem cold-hearted

Quote Originally Posted by Hogen
    yeah, I just haven't done so yet because I didn't want to seem cold-hearted
    I'll forgive you!

Ron

Sorry for being a little dense, but when I go into Messenger, start a thread, then start a Hangout, it doesn't seem to get posted to the wall, the "stream"? So do others have to go into messenger to see my hangout?

Gassho,
    Pontus

Quote Originally Posted by Omoi Otoshi
    Sorry for being a little dense, but when I go into Messenger, start a thread, then start a Hangout, it doesn't seem to get posted to the wall, the "stream"? So do others have to go into messenger to see my hangout?

Gassho,
    Pontus
    I have the same question. I just did my first hangout today, but I was by myself (I did invite the treeleaf circle). I usually sit between 7am to 9am in the morning; it varies due to my work schedule. Interestingly, when I login to G+ from my ipod touch I do see existing hangout threads, but not when I log in from my laptop, so I just had to start a new one. The problem with my ipod touch is I can't run the G+ app and my timer simultaneously, so its better to just use a laptop; also my ipod doesn't have a camera or mic.

So I just wanted to say I echo Pontus question

Gassho,

Risho