Hello samgha,

Since the news of our new unsui, I feel the time is right for some Q&A. These questions are directed at the unsui, so please, refrain from commenting if you are not unsui, if that is possible (meaning that the questions are directed at the unsui, but everyone can of course comment on their answers).

I feel that it is important to know the different views of the unsui, since they somewhat represent this samgha (of course, we all do) and are seen quite a lot in the forum. It is interesting to see where our unsui are coming from regarding different Buddhist concepts. I realize that some have been unsui longer, and others have just started, but nonetheless, you probably have views in either way.

This thread may be intellectualizing. If this is not your cup of tea, I am sure there are other threads to your liking. If nobody wants to answer, no problem. Even no answer is an answer!

Questions:

1. What is your take on rebirth? To simplify in absurdum: only moment-to-moment, or previous lives?

2. What does awakening mean? How do you view that concept? How is that view comparable to the wider Mahayana corpus (does it differ or not for example)?

3. Mind-only. Is this a teaching you follow, or not? That is, is it applicable to your practice?

4. How strict are the precepts? Can they be altered to fit different conditions? Can you be part of a trade, for example by selling meat, liquor, guns, and still follow the precepts? Can you drink, kill or abuse, and still follow the precepts? How does this tie into the concept of karma-vipaka?

5. What is your definition of prajna? Is this concept applicaple to your own practice?

Please note that this is not about my own understanding; I'm not asking these questions in relation to myself. I'm genuinely interested in your views (I am thinking the answers may vary from unsui to unsui, hence the answers can be of great assistance to other people in this samgha). If a question is not applicable, please ignore it. Also please note that I am not looking for a discussion. Others may feel free to discuss, but I am not going to come up with counter-arguments just for the sake of discussing.

May we all realize the buddha land.

/anista