Thread: I will lead a local zazen session. Help!

I will lead a local zazen session. Help!

Hi guys!

Some friends asked me to help them have a zazen session on December 7th. While I have helped small groups before, this could be a big one.

It will be a one time session and that's fine. But they asked me to talk a little about zen and minimalism and that's where I get nervous. Speaking 15 + people will be odd!

I was wondering if you had experience doing this. If so... could you please share some tips?

I know that when I'm there I'll be nice and calm, but now it gets a little scary. :mrgreen:

Re: I will lead a local zazen sesison. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by chocobuda
    Hi guys!

Some friends asked me to help them have a zazen session on December 7th. While I have helped small groups before, this could be a big one.

It will be a one time session and that's fine. But they asked me to talk a little about zen and minimalism and that's where I get nervous. Speaking 15 + people will be odd!

I was wondering if you had experience doing this. If so... could you please share some tips?

I know that when I'm there I'll be nice and calm, but now it gets a little scary. :mrgreen:
    Speak from the heart.

Gassho, Jundo

Just be.

gassho

T.

I would make myself a little roadmap, as for me it would be other way around,
    ok now, but very nervous at the event. This roadmap would be just a list of a
    few topics, so I not forget what to say to them and in which order. I woulndt
    make any detailed concept or anything, just so that I not completely loose track
    _()_
    Peter

Hi Choco,

I say take Jundo's advice and speak from the heart. It is clear that you are very passionate about the three treasures and have a dedicated practice. In other words you already have it all to make a wonderful presentation! Now you just have to get past the mental roadblock. Just remember, the same mind that put it up can also take it down!
    Good luck with everything and keep us posted

Gassho,
    John

Ask to borrow Jundo's Zen Robot mask. That should break the ice.

But seriously...
    To become an echo, be yourself, speak from the heart, put together some cards with points you really want to address. I would add, tell a story about yourself and the topic of minimalism.

Otherwise just breathe.

Rod

Speaking 15 + people will be odd!
    Ohhhh yes. I feel that. I had to talk to four groups of people last week about a historic home which I knew only a little bit about, and it was totally scary. But I think preparing ahead a bit works. Practice out what you're going to say. Say it to yourself if you have to.

Anyway, it's clear you know what you're doing, and the anxiety probably will melt away when the time comes.

Good luck!

Jen

Nindo

Are these people new to Buddhism or have they sat zazen before?
    If they are complete newbies, keep it very simple. I have done introductory talks in which I just told the life story of the Buddha, the four noble truths, the eightfold path and why sitting is important as a practice. That's usually enough to get some questions and take it from there.
    Good luck, you'll be fine! :wink:

I am terrible in those situations, so I have no advice. But I wish you the best of luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev R
    Ask to borrow Jundo's Zen Robot mask. That should break the ice.
    Ah, 'Buddha-bot' has not been around for a couple of years. I promise to bring him back soon. 8)

Thanks for that, Rev.

Gassho, J

Morelos,

I think pretty much everything I would say has been said, but I did want to offer support to your endeavour. Jundo said to speak from your heart and I feel quite sure that if you approach the talk from the truth of your own experiences of zazen then you will do great.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you very much, friends.

Yes I will speak from the heart.

It will be a group that wants to find out what Buddhism and zazen are, so I will write a guideline of what I will say. I am not that nervous anymore, so I should be okay. :P

Thanks all! I will keep you posted. :wink:

The first thing you should do is break the ice by saying "Do you think it's easy looking this good? Pay up!". Lol. Kidding of course

Seriously to echo everyone if you speak frpm your heart like you do here they are in for a treat . Good luck

Every once in a while, I have to teach ethnographic observation or authentic classroom assessment, both of which seem very easy until you do them. So I often start with a simple assignment, something like, go to a shopping center and just sit for five minutes, taking notes on what you notice. Students hear the assignment and think, "This'll be easy!" Students come back overwhelmed by the complexity of this "simple" task.

I think that's a good way to approach sitting shikantaza. Just being yourself, you'll do a great job, I'm sure, of explaining "just sitting." But when your group actually attempts to "just sit," well... you'll have plenty of ways to talk about zen, zazen, and a whole lot more.

So, to repeat the above: just be, then let them try to just sit, then just be with them after they've just sat!

Re: I will lead a local zazen session. Help!

Good luck Morelos...8888888888888888888888888888888888888888 8.....Just sit!

I thinks it's great that you are taking the time and effort to show others how to sit Zazen. Yes, you will probably be nervous but so will the students since this they are new to the practice. You'll learn how to teach sitting Zazen and your friends will learn how to sit. So, all of you will be learning together!

Thanks,
    Jodi

If one person came in to your zendo and asked, you would help them to the best of your ability.
    If a 52 passenger bus pulled up and the crowd asked, you would help them to the best of your ability too. The practice is precisely the same.

Be who you are, just as you are. Nothing more, and certainly nothing less. You'll do great.

go with the flow,
    explain sitting, zazen and in big lines buddhism,
    then sit together,
    and they will have questions that you had in the beginning too,
    answers to these questions you already know,
    because of your practice and your experience.

succes

Hi Choco;
    Congratulations on your assignment, I just know you'll do fine! It's not the amount of knowledge on the subject or preparation that's the problem, It's the public speaking thing that's in the way. Have you seen the movie "Maid in Manhattan" They used a gimmick, in their case they held a bent paper clip in their hand. It keeps your body busy and clears your mind. Let go and enjoy, you have a great story to tell

p.s. we'll have to try that google video chat again sometime :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai
    Hi Choco;
    Congratulations on your assignment, I just know you'll do fine! It's not the amount of knowledge on the subject or preparation that's the problem, It's the public speaking thing that's in the way. Have you seen the movie "Maid in Manhattan" They used a gimmick, in their case they held a bent paper clip in their hand. It keeps your body busy and clears your mind. Let go and enjoy, you have a great story to tell

p.s. we'll have to try that google video chat again sometime :lol:
    Thanks, Shokai!

Yes, the clip thing is a very good idea. I will try it out.

And of course we need to video chat sometime!

How did it go?

Ron

I haven't given the talk yet. That will be on Tuesday. I will let you guys know!

I will lead a local zazen session. Help!

Good Luck tomorrow! (Even though you won't need it) :-)

Ron

Hi guys!

First of all, thanks to all for the good wishes and tips.

My minimalism talk and Zazen session were last week but I wasn't able to post because I was traveling and I didn't have Internet connection.

It all went pretty good I think. I talked about how to practice mindfulness and be less carried out by the Christmas tsunami that marketing implants on our culture. It was about how to reduce stress and how to be smart about spending money and time. And of course I talked about dana and generosity.

I think people ended up very happy with my words. In fact they asked me to go again!

The Zazen session was smooth too. I just helped out a couple of friends who didn't have experience, and then it was some 20 minutes of group zazen.

Here is the only picture I have, taken on an iPhone with very poor lightning conditions.

Again, thank you for your support.

You look very convincing on that photo
    Congratulations on your first Dharma talk!

Thanks for letting us know Morelos...I'm sure you did awesome.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks for the update Choco. We all knew you would do a great job! Think you might comply with their request to do another one sometime?

Gassho,
    John

Congratulations!

on the next one,
    take a recorder with you

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    Thanks for the update Choco. We all knew you would do a great job! Think you might comply with their request to do another one sometime?
    Of course I will! It might be in April. Who knows?

Thanks for the update!

Ron

Hey, Hey, Hey; Looking professional !!

Hi.

Good to hear it went well.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    Of course I will! It might be in April. Who knows?
    Awesome!!

Good job! I am so glad it worked out well.

Thanks,
    Jodi