Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DATE CHANGE: Our 'AT HOME' 2-day ROHATSU RETREAT Dec 4-5

Re: DATE CHANGE: Our 'AT HOME' 2-day ROHATSU RETREAT Dec 4-5

Hi Undo,

I just tested 2, 4 and 5 and they are working fine. I think the difficulty is just what it says: YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR FLASH.
    I was using an ipad ops:

Quote Originally Posted by Undo
    Are other treeleafers sitting with google+ or the treeleaf zendo during the retreat?
    Shawn and I will both be sitting "live" (Japan time) and should be on Google+, or at least I will be during the zazen periods at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    Are other treeleafers sitting with google+ or the treeleaf zendo during the retreat?
    Shawn and I will both be sitting "live" (Japan time) and should be on Google+, or at least I will be during the zazen periods at the least.

Jep Jep...I'll have mine up and online. G+ has a pop up that asks if you are there around 60 minutes or so. As long as I don't miss that I plan on being on the entire sesshin.

g

s

I will try and join you if you don't mind me droping in on European time?
    I've not used G+ before, do I need an invite or can I just search for treeleaf group?

Thanks

Undo

I will try and join you if you don't mind me droping in on European time?
    Of course I don't mind! I open my sits to Treeleafers. We have a Treeleaf group on G+ so if you get setup just add the Treeleaf user and you should be able to see everyone else.

Treeleaf Sangha G+ Page:
    https://plus.google.com/107488152513960611269/posts

G,

s

Been working on re-arranging our spare bedroom to be a makeshift Zendo for this weekend and I had a question about the Buddha placement. I had read in the guide that the altar should be in the middle of the room. Why is that? Just curious as to the logic/reasoning behind the placement. I've seen it mostly placed at the end of the zendo in the middle of the room but not in the middle. I'm assuming this is the traditional placement and the middle/far-end placement is a western adaptation?

I had to move the bed and some end tables and a bookshelf but was able to make room and still have enough for computers, zabuton/zafu and kinhin space. Also, it feels a bit funny sitting behind the Buddha...back to back as it were. So used to sitting in front of the altar all these years.

G

s

Quote Originally Posted by shards
    Been working on re-arranging our spare bedroom to be a makeshift Zendo for this weekend and I had a question about the Buddha placement. I had read in the guide that the altar should be in the middle of the room. Why is that? Just curious as to the logic/reasoning behind the placement. I've seen it mostly placed at the end of the zendo in the middle of the room but not in the middle. I'm assuming this is the traditional placement and the middle/far-end placement is a western adaptation?

I had to move the bed and some end tables and a bookshelf but was able to make room and still have enough for computers, zabuton/zafu and kinhin space. Also, it feels a bit funny sitting behind the Buddha...back to back as it were. So used to sitting in front of the altar all these years.

G

s
    The Buddha does not have to be in the middle of the room, and can be somewhere else. It comes just from the traditional design of large Zendos with Manjusri Bodhisattva (or a Buddha) in the middle ...

... and is meant to help to avoid walking directly in front of the Buddha/Manjusri, as one can walk respectfully behind to cross the room.

However, it is fine to have the Buddha elsewhere in the room, and if you have to walk in front of your statue to pass, maybe give a momentary pause and a little Gassho or nod of the head as "Excuse me". That is traditional too.

Before the retreat, please look at this short page published by Soto-shu of manners in the Zendo, see if you can pick up a couple of pointers. It is a little different from most folks, cause in Japan (as in our Tsukuba Zendo) the sitting is on raised platforms, not on the floor like most folks in the West.

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/pra ... n/manners/

Not everyone faces the wall either, but it is good to do so if you can. Soto Tradition is to face the wall, but in the west it is more of a mixed picture.

Gassho, Jundo

Hi All,

Spent the morning and then the rest of the day going over all the material for Rohatsu. It was great to review everything because I even found a number of things to adjust which I have been doing incorrectly during Zazenkai ops:
    My Oryoki set is all made up and I went over the video multiple times to practice throughout the day. Also Going to try to practice at least once each day prior to Rohatsu!

My schedule for Rohatsu will be as Follows:
    Rohatsu starts 6am Sunday Japan time, which will be 3pm Saturday my time. I'll sit 3pm-10pm(Live)

Sleep from 10pm-5:30am, Sunday

Start 6am-3pm(Recorded version, from day #1, of what I missed while sleeping)

3pm(Start of day #2 with Taigu Sensei)-10pm(Live)

Sleep 10pm-5:30am, Monday(Vacation day, off from work)

Start 6am-3pm(Recorded version, from day #2, of what I missed while sleeping)

3pm-The rest of the week(Giving my wife lots of extra attention! )

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    Rohatsu starts 6am Sunday Japan time, which will be 3pm Saturday my time. I'll sit 3pm-10pm(Live)

That's a great schedule John...I'm going to try to sit live...but should I be overcome by sleep I will adapt with your proposed schedule. Thanks for sharing!

g

s

That's a great schedule John...I'm going to try to sit live...but should I be overcome by sleep I will adapt with your proposed schedule. Thanks for sharing!

g

s
    Just to say again ... we do recommend a mix of 'live' and 'recorded' segments so that everyone can sleep in a natural cycle.

Gassho, J

Can someone explain in detail how to use G+ please. Do we just sign in and find the treeleaf group in realtime on the G+ web site, or do I have to download something? Sorry to be a pain but tech is moving too fast for this old falla

m

Hi,

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but what time does the retreat start Japan time on Sunday. I will work out my timezone from there.

I will be sitting the Sunday but will be working Monday. I am looking forward to it..... in the now ofcoarse!!

Gassho

Ray

sorry, I have found the time. i hope I made some people laugh

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljc
    Can someone explain in detail how to use G+ please. Do we just sign in and find the treeleaf group in realtime on the G+ web site, or do I have to download something? Sorry to be a pain but tech is moving too fast for this old falla

m
    No worries!

After you've signed up and can access G+, there is a link on the right side of the page that says "Start a hangout". When you click that it'll open up a new window where you can start a new hangout, or, on the right side of that pop-up join one that is already going, should someone be sitting already.

G

s

Attached files

THE 'OFFICIAL' 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT WEB PAGE AND SCHEDULE IS UP !!

http://www.treeleaf.org/sit-a-long/with ... eafat.html

You will see a link to the live netcast, and this is also where links will be posted to each portion of the retreat as we go along, updating the links during the two days.

The schedule is exactly the same a last year. Equivalent times are posted for North America and Europe so that folks can calculate which portions can be joined 'live' and which portions can be joined 'recorded' (but stil alive!).

BE THERE AND SIT SQUARE!

Gassho, J

my better half now won't be flying home until early saturday morning. this will be interesting.

Yep and I have just learned that we have a holiday Monday. I was worried about getting through 1 day :?

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    THE 'OFFICIAL' 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT WEB PAGE AND SCHEDULE IS UP !!

http://www.treeleaf.org/sit-a-long/with ... eafat.html

You will see a link to the live netcast, and this is also where links will be posted to each portion of the retreat as we go along, updating the links during the two days.

The schedule is exactly the same a last year. Equivalent times are posted for North America and Europe so that folks can calculate which portions can be joined 'live' and which portions can be joined 'recorded' (but stil alive!).

BE THERE AND SIT SQUARE!

Gassho, J
    Just a note that I corrected the schedule just now to be Sunday-Monday (not Saturday-Sunday as last year). Otherwise, the times are the same.

Gassho, J

Nindo

I cannot remember my password for Google+ ops: ops: ops:

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson

g

s
    Ditto... that is a good schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Just to say again ... we do recommend a mix of 'live' and 'recorded' segments so that everyone can sleep in a natural cycle.
    Gonna try it anyway!

Hey y'all, I'll be on G+ Sunday from 0600-2330 EST, with breaks for samu & such. Will be sitting the second day on Monday, from approx. 0600-2130 EST. Looking forward to sitting with everyone.

gassho,
    Shujin

OK, think I have everything ready. Haven't had much time to practice Oryoki, so will just do my best to follow along. My bum ankle is acting up a bit with the cold weather, so may have to do more kinhin than listed, but hopefully it will hold up!

Hope everyone has a "not good, not bad" Rohatsu!

I am ready!!!!
    Thanks a lot for the opportunity
    It´s my first real sesshin with my real sangha. I had others "virtual" sesshins with my "virtual" Soto sangha here, but this is special.
    See you there
    Senryu

If joining on Google+, please be sure to click the "Mute Mic" option!

End of Rohatsu... just want to say Thanks to Jundo, Taigu, and the entire Sangha.

_/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/_

Jundo/Taigu/All - thank you. This was the first group sitting I have been part of in over 10 years. My 2 am starts worked out OK with some naps thrown in here and there. Got most of the streaming too. From out of nowhere I came to finally realise the significance in sewing the rakusu.

kind regards

Michael

To Jundo and Taigu, all those who sat Rohatsu, those sitting it still, as well as those who will sit it: thank you for your practice and for sharing it.
    Best wishes and kind regards.
    Gassho,

I'm about halfway through my attempts at the retreat. Samu was manually heaving leaves over my back wall.

Thanks senseis and sangha for this rohatsu sesshin...I really enjoy it.
    Gassho _()_
    Senryu

Thank you for a wonderful retreat. My back and knees sing of the joy that's in my heart for such a lovely practice.

Jundo & Taigu...a very special thank you to you both.

Deep bows,

Shawn

It was a pleasure to sit with you all.
    Thanks to everyone, especially all those friends, family and colleagues who helped us sit together.

Gassho

undo

Well done to those completing the whole retreat. I dropped in once live and twice recorded on Sunday and late Saturday but was tied by 'other things'. I will make better efforts to arrange my time next time around.
    Gassho to all, with thanks and 9 bows to Jundo and Taigu.

Dear All,

Thank you to every-One (get it? ... "every-ONe" ... 8) ) who sat sits will sit this retreat.

I am in communist China today, where I cannot access Youtube or Justin.tv at all, so I cannot access the Retreat from here ... but I see it in my heart.

Gassho, Jundo

Just finished tonight. I am grateful beyond words for the opportunity to sit this retreat in my own home. Thank you Jundo & Taigu, and thanks to those who sat, and will sit. Thank you to those who sat along with me on G+; your company was the best of motivations.

gassho,
    Shujin

Nindo

Deep bows to all. My knees hurt, my heart is joyful. Also much gratitude to my husband for his support, and the Google+ circle of undeterred sitters. Now off to carry water and chop wood

Finished yesterday evening, Gassho and thanks to everybody,
    Peter

So glad this is posted online... just no way I could do this in real time. Thankfully I will be able to catch up. Although there is noting quite like the sense of community when done as it happens, I guess the point is to drop all that. Deep gratitude to Jundo for making this available and everyone at Treeleaf who participated.

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Hi all,

I just wanted to let folks know that I'll be sitting the retreat this weekend on Saturday and Sunday, substituting US Eastern Time for Japan time on the schedule. Of course those who have already sat as well as those who will sit later are always sitting with me in every moment, but I still thought it worth mentioning.

Deep bows to all who undertake this retreat, anywhere in space and time...all right here!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hey Dosho,

Perhaps I will try to catch a segment with you. Can't do the entire retreat this weekend as I got talked into being "Santa" for an animal rescue organization, which I have been working for (my Samu). In addition, my dad went in the hospital today and not sure when I will be needed. Nevertheless, if Sunday looks good I may try to coordinate.....I will convert to Eastern Standard time as well. Even if we don't connect we may be sitting at the same time. Hope to get the retreat in its entirety at a bit later date.

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that I got through the first day of the retreat but wasn't feeling very well throughout, so I'll have to do the second day another time.

Off to bed...my thanks to all who have sat, are sitting, or will sit!

Gassho,
    Dosho

I finished up yesterday. YouTube worked like a dream!

Gassho

Jen

--Hope you feel better, Dosho!

Well after a week off visiting my parents, a week working to close the year at my little business and a week just taking it easy, I am finally ready to do Rohatsu.

I will do it tomorrow (Dec. 21st) and on Thursday (Dec. 22nd).

It's my first Rohatsu, so wish me luck!

Nindo

Happy sitting and happy solstice to you!

Quote Originally Posted by chocobuda
    I will do it tomorrow (Dec. 21st) and on Thursday (Dec. 22nd).

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo
    Happy sitting and happy solstice to you!
    Thanks Nindo!

It all went pretty good. I have done retreats before but this one was intense! I enjoyed it a lot and learned a lot as well.

It gave me lots to think about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12