Thread: Zazen question

Zazen question

I have the opportunity to do a lot of sitting at the moment. Would this at all be a idea that needs advice or recommendation against for some reason?

Re: Zazen question

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeps
    I have the opportunity to do a lot of sitting at the moment. Would this at all be a idea that needs advice or recommendation against for some reason?
    Hi Sleeps,

We always sit at the moment.

What do you mean "a lot"? Will you be sitting alone?

Gassho, Jundo

Well, I mean that I'll have a lot of time to sit, 5+ hours a day. My reasoning behind this is that it can't hurt to spend more time allowing or what seems to be "growing to allow" for things to play out that never got a chance to express themselves because of rejection of them. I think sitting more would give more time to grow more accepting of what's happening, would that be true? Yes, I usually do sit alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeps
    Well, I mean that I'll have a lot of time to sit, 5+ hours a day. My reasoning behind this is that it can't hurt to spend more time allowing or what seems to be "growing to allow" for things to play out that never got a chance to express themselves because of rejection of them. I think sitting more would give more time to grow more accepting of what's happening, would that be true? Yes, I usually do sit alone.
    Hi Sleeps,

Our way of sitting is not about "allowing things to play out that never had a chance to express themselves." Perhaps you could write me privately and tell me what kinds of things you mean. Let's discuss this.

However, I think with what you are describing, 5+ hours alone is not sounding like a good idea without the direct supervision of a teacher and fellow sitters in proximity. You could do so, of course, but it is risky about what may develop in the experience on your own, and so I cannot recommend it to you at all without knowing you and your situation better. Since I cannot from here, you may wish to consider attending a long retreat if you wish to pursue such practice. When you write me, we can discuss that too and maybe I can point you somewhere.

Gassho, J