Thread: Practice of a lifetime

Practice of a lifetime

Hi All,

I came across today with a wonderful quote from one of the interviews with Kyudo Nakagawa Roshi in one of the blogs that I read:

You need to be cheerful, courageous and patient. When these things are achieved, there's no need to study Zen.
    http://www.blackmoonzendo.com/zenabbot.shtml
    It's just so simple and makes perfect sense. However, who can honestly say about themselves that they have really achieved those? This is a practice of a lifetime.

Re: Practice of a lifetime

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a funny guy. Lots of good stuff. One point of objection though:

Q. What is the function of zazen [roughly, seated meditation, the core practice of Zen]?

A. Zazen is so you can realize your truth.
    Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that "Zazen *is* realizing your truth." :?:

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    Q. What is the function of zazen [roughly, seated meditation, the core practice of Zen]?

I agree with you but you have to see who this interview is directed to. Seems to me that is intended for general public or beginners. For someone who hasn't sat it'll be hard to explain how zazen, or washing dishes "is realizing the truth".

Quote Originally Posted by andyZ

I agree with you but you have to see who this interview is directed to. Seems to me that is intended for general public or beginners. For someone who hasn't sat it'll be hard to explain how zazen, or washing dishes "is realizing the truth".
    True!

Quote Originally Posted by andyZ
    I came across today with a wonderful quote from one of the interviews with Kyudo Nakagawa Roshi in one of the blogs that I read:You need to be cheerful, courageous and patient. When these things are achieved, there's no need to study Zen.http://www.blackmoonzendo.com/zenabbot.shtmlIt's just so simple and makes perfect sense. However, who can honestly say about themselves that they have really achieved those? This is a practice of a lifetime.
    Thanks for the quote. And the reminder that I have much studying to do :wink:

gassho
    Greg

Hi Andy,

Thank you for sharing the interview, Andy. Kudo Nakagawa was a wonderful Rinzai teacher with, obviously, a mischievous sense of humor.

One point of objection though:

Yes, Zazen *is* realizing Truth..

Which is why we sit, so we can realize our Truth. 8)

Gassho, J (also pretty mischievous). 8)

Zazen is the truth realizing itself. We sit so that we can "join in" on the realization.