Thread: Understanding Chogyam

Understanding Chogyam

I've been reading from "The Sacred Path Of The Warrior" and am having trouble understanding something Chogyam Trungpa says. Thought I might ask for some fresh and more experienced understanding. He says:

"When we see a bright color, we are witnessing our own inherent goodness. When we hear a beautiful sound, we are hearing our own basic goodness."

Now I understand how sunshine and feeling fresh and wide open spaces feel genuinely good. But what exactly does he mean when he says that by witnessing unexpected beauty or sounds etc. we are witnessing our own inherent goodness?

gassho
    Greg

Re: Understanding Chogyam

Hi Greg,

As much as the whole world is but a mirror for you, you are a mirror to the 10 000 things. Opening the senses to what is, noticing the display and beauty of the phenomenal world is just being in touch with our true self. Trungpa is that close to Dogen when he writes that the ten thousand things moving towards the self is it.
    When you see beauty, you are beauty. This is your boddhicita acting through the activity of seeing and seen as a flower. In this inherent stops to be inherent, conceiled. Our body and the body of the ten thousand things drop away. What is left? basic goodness dancing.

gassho

Taigu

Re: Understanding Chogyam

Thank you Taigu.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    When you see beauty, you are beauty. This is your boddhicita acting through the cativity of seing and seen as a flower. In this inherent stops to be inherent, conceiled. Our body and the body of the ten thousand things drop away. What is left? basic goodness dancing.
    I went hiking today in the mountains. The sky was so perfectly blue through the red and yellow Autumn leaves, the air was so cool and fresh, and the earth was so solid, so trustworthy under my feet, that I felt as if I was doing zazen with the trees under a blue sky sangha. No panic. No worries. It was as if I had become a shape of air. Spacious. I came home and read this chapter by Chogyam Trungpa, and it was the perfect end to a brilliant day, but I was trying to understand his meaning from the viewpoint of a seperate self.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    As much as the whole world is but a mirror for you, you are a mirror to the 10 000 things. Opening the senses to what is, noticing the display and beauty of the phenomenal world is just being in touch with our true self.
    Amazing. Thanks again.

Gassho
    Greg