Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Defense of Treeleaf

Re: In Defense of Treeleaf

Hi,

To make a few things clear: nobody here is thinking about transmission, we are dealing with practice. The issue of transmission should not be discussed by people, it is the sole business of teachers 8) . I think I can speak Jundo's mind saying that we are not considering giving transmission in the near future. There is a long way to go for everybody. This place, here and now, is a training and practice place where everybody is invited to sit and work. At the moment, I am also working a lot preparing the retreat to come.

Take great care of yourself!

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    This place, here and now, is a training and practice place where everybody is invited to sit and work.
    Perfectly simple and simply perfect. Thanks.

s

Yugen

Greetings all,
    Since I am the one who introduced the word "transmission" into the discussion, I should be clear in my use of terminology, which was a bit careless... in this case I really should use the terminology "practice" or "sharing of knowledge, or dharma." The term "transmission" has a particular meaning which was not appropriate, timely, or intended for the point I was trying to make. I was not trying to infer or go anywhere in the direction of raising the issue of lineage transmission, Dharma heir(s), etc. Notwithstanding my poor use of terminology, I still feel very strongly that the judicious and proper use of the internet as a medium for communication, practice, and sharing of the Dharma is a revolutionary development, which some people in the Soto community feel uncomfortable with, and often default therefore to the position that internet-based community is not authentic in nature or rigourous in practice.

Thank you for the clarification Taigu.

gassho,
    Yugen

Thank you for your kind words, Yugen.
    We would indeed describe this (what we do here) as Dharma practice which includes lay pratice and priest training.

gassho

Taigu

Yugen

A deep bow

Yugen

And in this case I also used the word 'transmission' carelessly, outside its more specific meaning. Dharma practice it is.
    -Ted

By the way, this thread could just as easily be called "Why Treeleaf Does Not Need to be Defended".
    Gassho,
    Soen

Quote Originally Posted by soendoshin
    this thread could just as easily be called "Why Treeleaf Does Not Need to be Defended".
    :mrgreen: Thank you for this!

Ah... Authentification, certification, transmission,... a crucial matter in modern Mahayana Buddhism... but since when? and who is the "business of Dharma transmission" benefiting?
    In the past one could buy a "Dharma transmission certificate" in China, and in the west some received Dharma transmission during the traditional ritual (night, incense,...) surrounded by other monks drinking and laughing (I've been told many times). Two terrible situations but they help to understand that it is not the Dharma transmission or the precepts transmission per se that is important, but the relation, the practice, the effort that it mean!

A true transmission of Dharma, of precepts,... is a true relation. And I understand in a way, that people being part of certain big and established institutions sees the free and natural, even harmonious way we use in this Sangha as something bad and beyond their understanding of transmitting the Buddha's way.
    But the way things are in Treeleaf is very close to the way things were in early Chan communities, a common moral rule (the precepts), and informal and deep relations and practice.
    Our Temple and the Dharma is our life, that is a huge statement when you only see the "Buddhist world" as enclosed reality limited to big temples, fancy clothes, and papers bearing fancy stamps. When we can't perceive what is the true meaning of receiving the precepts or receiving Dharma transmission, we can grasp on forms forgetting the sense, the true meaning of what these simple ritual are about.

enough gibberish talk, sorry for this...
    Have a very nice day everyone!

Deep gassho,
    jinyu

Our simple existence is an act of compassion, let it be so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12