Thread: Reality check

Reality check

The main thing about this all Buddhist stuff is the sharp awareness that this life of ours is fleeting and will be soon gone. That it is going every sec and we don t know where we are going and who is in the driver s seat.Get that fact right please, observe your face in the mirror, look at old pictures of yours, feel the bones under the veil of your skin. Look all around you.

That s why empty and idle discussion about this criticism versus that criticism are bizantine rubbish.

A simple glass of water or the sun in the curtains have much more to teach us that the endless twisted paths of the mind. If we want to change anything in this world, let s start at home and not bother about others.

Idle minds can come and go, I only have time for people of the way. And no, Fugen, it is not all good practice.

Gassho

Re: Reality check

I think we are getting a good picture of the real guy, aren t we?

Take great care, Praxis.

Gassho

Taigu

Thank you Taigu Sensei for this lesson on cherishing, rather than wasting time. I agree that it is unfortunate if one chooses to indulge in time squandering pursuits, such as finger pointing. We would be wise not to forget that when we point the finger at another, three of our own fingers are pointing at ourselves!

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    ...Idle minds can come and go, I only have time for people of the way. And no, Fugen, it is not all good practice. Gassho
    Poor Fugen... :wink:

I do still think there is a lot to learn and see within all this. Being on a path doesn't make the world a go-to happy place with only agreeable people, the path doesn't make anything different. Yet, only when we are on a path can we truly see how different everything really is.

But like you stated. This is not a philosophical pursuit, this is not an intellectual game..in reality, this is not really anything, that's why it is so special...

Thank you for your teaching Taigu!

Life is short indeed.

Thank you, Taigu Sensei.

Re: Re: Reality check

A simple glass of water or the sun in the curtains have much more to teach us that the endless twisted paths of the mind. If we want to change anything in this world, let s start at home and not bother about others.
    Thank you Taigu for the reminder. So easily we are dragged down by our own thoughts and words just simply forgetting to sit still.

Gassho

Shawn

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk

A simple glass of water or the sun in the curtains have much more to teach us that the endless twisted paths of the mind.
    Precious Reality ... precious Essence :P
    Thank you Taigu ... And everyone for their comments!!!

Jinyu
    ps: Had first in mind to talk about emptiness, vacuity and our own Essence.... Just shit in my mouth... I'd better look at the trees outside.

Au contraire mon chéri
    I really don't see the point of making fun of someone for their nationality and native tongue. It is a new low here. At least Taigu meets us all out in the open. We know who he is and where he is from. His own face meets us bravely in fair and frank discussion.
    Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by praxis
    Quote Originally Posted by soendoshin
    Au contraire mon chéri
    I really don't see the point of making fun of someone for their nationality and native tongue. It is a new low here. At least Taigu meets us all out in the open. We know who he is and where he is from. His own face meets us bravely in fair and frank discussion.
    Gassho
    Make fun of?

It was my response (failed attempt at rapport ) to his use of "bonne chance!!! Et bonne route!" in the other topic.
    Hi Praxis,

I think that most people would like to move away from that other topic so please do likewise and let it go for the benefit of everyone _/_
    No need to incorporate words or discussions from there into this new thread.

Thank you,
    John

I see no harm in the topic. If you see harm in discussing the topic then the responsible thing to do is close or delete the topic, I guess.
    I agree. To be quite honest, I find everybody bitching about the topic to be more annoying than-- and empowering to-- the mindless chatter going on in the topic itself. Why can't we just take it? Why can't we just "drink the nasty soup"? Metta.

Hi Praxis,

Why did you decide to change your initial reply of this:
    Every post since my initial question to Jundo has been a response to others.
    To this?
    I see no harm in the topic. If you see harm in discussing the topic then the responsible thing to do is close or delete the topic, I guess.
    In the first reply you made a good point which I failed to notice until you pointed it out.
    Now in deleting the first one and changing your reply to the 2nd you have come to make assumptions about what I am thinking or feeling and imply what my actions should be. I'm sorry that you felt that you had change your initial way of thinking to something negative.

Gassho,
    John

Ahem. If I may, a picture that speaks volumes:

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor

_/_
    Thank you Tyler as this simple picture reminds me what a pointless road I have traveled down once again. I will not make the same mistake!

Gassho,
    John

Taigu,
    Head straight and in the moment. Thanks again my good man.

Kind Regards and Gassho, Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor

Thank you, Taylor. Yes, we should not bite the hook. At all.

Quite apt indeed. Just consider as part of the reality check the fact that the "Anger, Resentment, and Other Destructive Emotions" did not emanate from yours truly.

I bid you all adieu.
    Hi,

Well, if I may speak up for our little community here, I did not find anyone who seemed to become "angry and resentful" or who wrote filled with "destructive emotions" in what they wrote and posted, pretty much all of which was extremely civil, non-aggressive and soft spoken. A couple of people felt some irritation, quite a few did not want to engage, Taigu used some pointed language (as we often do in criticism) and some liked your thoughtful questions which seemed sincere. I thought that several people tried to answer your questions honestly and directly, even if you did not agree with the responses.

You are always welcome here to sit Zazen.

Gassho, J

You really do see things the way that you feel like seeing them.
    Everyone does, and that's why we sit.

I hope you find what you are looking for, here or elsewhere.

As a general rule, I don't respond to posts from people who are basically anonymous on the forum as I think it is rarely demonstrated that anonymity produces responsible interactions. There is a reason so many want to see a face or a name, even as we recognize that names and faces don't fundamentally mean much. I think both sides are more likely to respond to one another with civility and respect when one isn't faceless. So, I hope you stay, but I also don't know how productive the nameless-faceless persona is. I think when Treeleaf is at its best is a result of the members' awareness that we ARE a community and as such we have a responsibility to one another to respond with humanity and compassion. Studies repeatedly suggest that it is all but impossible for humans to do that while anonymous. I understand the reason for Jundo's allowing folks to remain anonymous if they have real reasons to, but I think it all but dooms their interactions with the others on the forum as it damages the reciprocal trust inherent in face-to-face conversation.

Peace,
    Eika

Jundo and Taigu made remarks which were more rude than anything I actually expressed. So in this case the person with anonymity was relatively more cordial if you look at the actual dialog.
    Hi Praxis,

Do you feel you are being honest?

If so, would you kindly pull up a quote, any quote, in which I was rude to you????

Can you post a quote of any one of our general members being rude to you?

Can you also show where Taigu was rude to you? I do think there was one post where Taigu said this ...

Just a suggestion, you may drop this intellectual arrogance which is not you, come gently and peacefully, life is too short, you know. At least this is what comes across when I read your prose and look at your statements.

You may wake up to the fact that you are more, after all, than an obstinate and stingy fly that come back again and again.

You may remind yourself that you are here to learn, and although finding teachers wrong is now an American sport, the two guys here, that don't charge anything, spend so much of their time and get no profit whatsoever should be left alone by people of your kind, not showing up really and doing apparently not much for the Dharma.

viewtopic.php?p=62110#p62110
    Is that it, that you he called on you to wake up to the fact that your are more than obstinate and stinging fly, coming back and back but with your ears closed? That's what you got for "more rude than anything?"

It seems, Praxis, that you are not being very honest (it it rude to say so?), you are trying to stir things up with innuendo and all kinds of bizarre arguments. You are going over to other blogs and saying that we are trying to silence you or be rude to you. I too am starting to wonder if there is a game afoot. You haven't succeeded in getting one person to "pick a fight" with you here (as our members seem to smart for that), so are you starting to go around and say it happened anyway? Shame on you.

Someone wrote me an email about what may actually be going on in, and who is behind this. If so ... shame on you. None of our members are going to take the bate.

Gassho, Jundo

PS -

• Theories of deindividuation propose that it is a psychological state of decreased self-evaluation and decreased evaluation apprehension causing antinormative and disinhibited behavior. Deindividuation theory seeks to provide an explanation for a variety of antinormative collective behavior, such as violent crowds, lynch mobs, etc. Deindividuation theory has also been applied to genocide and been posited as an explanation for antinormative behavior online and in computer-mediated communications.

Some genocidal lynch mob out to get you here?! Everybody has been listening patiently to post after post (a couple of posts were a bit fed up with it). They just can't figure you out.

That s why empty and idle discussion about this criticism versus that criticism are bizantine rubbish.

Gassho
    "BIZANTINE RUBBISH" How could a 2 word summary get any better? Gassho Shogen

Good one Zak :lol: _/_

Could you please post a links to those blogs. You've managed to get me curious again.

Thanks in advance!
    Dear Praxis,

This is what is making me think you are being disingenuous, because you are posting the following on other blogs ...

Jundo and Taigu made remarks which were more rude than anything I actually expressed. So in this case the person with anonymity was relatively more cordial if you look at the actual dialog.

5:26 PM
    I will ask you again to be honorable and please answer the questions:

Kindly pull up a quote, any quote, in which I was rude to you.

Please show us a quote from any one of our general members being rude to you.

I suppose that Taigu was rude to you for saying you are acting like an "obstinate and stingy fly that come back again and again" to cause trouble, although I do not believe it was meant that way if read in its full contect. Can you point to anything else he said that was rude to you?

So, do stop going around the internet saying how rude we are to you, because it is false. Further, many of us have sincerely attempted to respond to your comments, and you seem not to be interested in any response.

I am also going to ask you to contact me by email or PM to confirm some parts in the original information your provided when registering which I have not been able to confirm at all regarding your identity.

Let me mention that, if you have any complaint or dispute with regard to how you have or are being treated, we have an Ethics Committee in place, and you are free to contact any or all of its members and make a complaint.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2818

Gassho, Jundo

disastermouse

If we want to change anything in this world, let s start at home and not bother about others.
    This is what I find so fasitnating. That words like these are readily voiced, yet the very next breath is so often used to point out the others, to define the pagans.

Do you realize why you do this?
    This.

But then, we all do, don't we?

Chet-zaster-mouse

disastermouse

You may wake up to the fact that you are more, after all, than an obstinate and stingy fly that come back again and again.
    Taigu, what the hell is this?

Sadness

Coming in late, admittedly but what the hell? That whole thread was like being in high school again.

Chet