Thread: 1000

As I heard the story, a biology doctoral student was meeting with his dissertation committee when one of his professors asked him this question: “How can you tell if something is alive?” The doctoral student, as is the practice when going through that tortuous process, gave a long and technical answer. The professor said, “Well, yeah, but that’s not what I’m looking for.” Undaunted, the student gave an even longer and more technical answer, to which the professor replied, “You’re not wrong, but you’re not right either.” The student paused for a bit before giving the most dazzling technical answer that he could, and the professor just frowned and shook her head. “I’m sorry,” said the exasperated student, “just what answer are you looking for?” She smiled at her overly hard working student and said, “You can tell something is alive because it grows.” The student proceeded to smack himself in the forehead, “D’oh!”

Let’s extrapolate that story a bit.
    Q: How can you tell you are on the Buddhist Path?
    A: Because you grow on it. Just as it is the essential nature of a living being to grow, so to is it our essential nature to move toward our inherent Buddha nature by following the Path marked by our vows and precepts. Essentially, then, the Path is a one-way street moving only in the direction of a non-destination. Thus at any point on the Path you should be able to look back and see from where you have come. The distance between (non)there and (non)here is how much you have grown.

Let’s extrapolate a little further.
    Q: Is Treeleaf alive?
    A: Yes, because it is growing. Growth in this case can be the number of people joining the sangha and/or increasing complexity within the sangha. I don’t know what the membership numbers are, or even how we might want to measure them (those admitted or those that post or whatever), but certainly more and more people find out about it, and the forum has become much more complex in all its sub-forums over the years. Having been here for a few years now, it is easy to see where we were and compare it to where we are now, to see how we’ve grown.

Now let’s take one more extrapolation and jump to the idea that, since Treeleaf is a sort of living being that is on the Path, then we might also be able to consider it as a collective mind. Taking this view of Treeleaf-mind, us individuals could be seen as separate brain cells or areas of this mind, each with our own function, each cooperating (sometimes messily) with the others in order to function as a unit. Evidence supporting this analogy can be seen all through the forum. This place works! But just as our brain (or life) works, it can be chaotic and even dysfunctional at times. Change happens, growth is inevitable, and sometimes that makes us feel awkward and gets us off balance, but equilibrium always returns.

Let me see how far I can push this. Just as it is the nature of an individual’s brain to generate a thought that inevitably leads to more thoughts and then thoughts on top of those thoughts, so to does Treeleaf-mind generate threads consisting of posts upon posts upon forum posts. As individuals, we learn to watch that process and let it go during zazen, so can we learn to do the same as a collective mind? When a thread ends, does that mean Treeleaf-mind goes back to collective zazen? Can we as Treeleaf-mind develop a collective “self” awareness that exists from moment to moment? Is Treeleaf-mind moving toward some sort of collective realization of our perfect Buddha nature? Is Treeleaf even conscious of its own existence as “mind”? And so on to other questions that might arise and pile up from the one thought that I started with.

I get exasperated with this place from time to time and need to get away from it. I get critical and think that we are too attached to our Treeleaf-mind “thoughts” to let them go so that we can move on to see the bigger picture that Zen teaches us about. Again, just read through the forum for evidence of this. But I’ve just realized that when I criticize Treeleaf I am also criticizing myself, because I am part of this living/growing organism. Maybe my aggravations with Treeleaf are really just displaced aggravations with my “self.” I could leave, I suppose, but what would that mean? Since I am part of Treeleaf-mind (btw, Treeleafer, so are you), where could I go? How can I escape my own mind, Treeleaf or otherwise? Why would I? At best, I can just step back and let go for a time. What about you? Can you let go of Treeleaf, of Treeleaf-mind? The true sangha is immeasurably bigger than Treeleaf, you know.

I’d like to say DON’T think about any of this, that nothing good can come from any more thinking about this convolution I have presented here, but it is the nature of this collective mind we call Treeleaf to think and post those thoughts. So, instead, let me just ask you to let go of your posts, here or anywhere, now and always, as you/me/us/we move forward on this living/growing Path. I am going to do my part in this by smacking myself in the forehead and saying “D’oh!” as soon as I submit this my 1000th post.

Re: 1000

Hi Alan;
    Congrats on 1000 :lol: Firget about it, already!! :lol:
    Sometimes these posts present little tests for each of us to grow on :roll: justlikefungusgrowson biologist's petrie dishes
    (oops, 470 to go)

1000 Posts! But it is not about quantity!

Gee ... "Treeleaf-mind"? :shock: Hmmmmm. WOW!

Can we as Treeleaf-mind develop a collective “self” awareness that exists from moment to moment? Is Treeleaf even conscious of its own existence as “mind”? Taking this view of Treeleaf-mind, us individuals could be seen as separate brain cells or areas of this mind, each with our own function, each cooperating (sometimes messily) with the others in order to function as a unit.
    Your words had to make me think of this ...

This is a place to help daily practice at home, encourage sitting ... with a few other resources and learning opportunities thrown in. Not too complicated. Don't make it complicated or more than it is. To paraphrase you ...

Let go of your thoughts and overanalysis. This is just a place to come and sit Zazen.

Anyway ... good night. I am off to regenerate for a few hours. 8)

Gassho, Jundo (aka 5 of 12 Secondary Adjunct of Trimatrix 942)

PS - Fugen of 9 wanted me to pass on this reminder ...

Yugen

Alan,
    Congratulations on your 1000th post (Jundo, I know it is about quality and not quantity). Alan's posts are not to be trifled with. :wink:

Perhaps we need a frequent karmic miles program....

I appreciate your posts and am glad you are here!

Gassho,
    Yugen

Nindo

Alan, sometimes I think there are too many words here and then I need to take a break, too. But then, how to express in this medium but in words? Sometimes words make my mind busy. Sometimes they point me to exactly what I need to see. Ebb and flow; thought and non-thought; one mind and many minds. Words are reality, reality are words. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogen
    All the pictured buddhas are all the buddhas. Examine carefully the pictured buddhas and the pictured cakes. You should understand thoroughly which is a guardian lion and which is the iron staff, which is form and which is mind. All are nothing but pictures. Thus viewed, birth and death, coming and going are pictures without exception. Supreme enlightenment is nothing but a picture. As a rule, in the phenomenal world and the empty sky there is nothing that is not a picture. If you say that a picture is not real, all things are not real. If all things are not real, Dharma is not real either. If Dharma is real, then pictured cakes are real.
    Thanks for being here and contributing with post 1001 and counting.

Jundo: Let go of your thoughts and overanalysis.
    That's what I said... after all the fun I had thinking and over analyzing.

Jundo: This is just a place to come and sit Zazen.
    Both true and false, as it is also so much more than that, which is also what I said, seriously.

Hi Alan,

It was a pleasure to read your post. I enjoy the image you painted of Treeleaf as a living entity and your insights which have blossomed out of such a view. Thank you for sharing. It gives me yet another perspective to view Treeleaf from.

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    What about you? Can you let go of Treeleaf, of Treeleaf-mind? The true sangha is immeasurably bigger than Treeleaf, you know.
    Like a leaf falling from a tree, disintegrating into the soil, to nourish the tree... We can no leave no more than the Earth can leave the Earth.

_/_

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Gassho, Jundo (aka 5 of 12 Secondary Adjunct of Trimatrix 942)
    This reply cracked me up.

Fugen of 9! I love it :mrgreen:

So can we make Star Trek: TNG (the best show of all time) to be the official television show of Soto Zen? hahahaha

Risho