Thread: Terms...

Terms...

Every now and then I will hear someone, both on the forums and in other places, say things about not liking certain words.

For example there are those who do not like to use the word; spiritual, or religion/religious.

There are those who don't like referring to themselves as Buddhist, and others who do not mind.

Why do you like certain terms as oppose to others?

Just curious...would love to hear thoughts on the matter

Re: Terms...

My first thought was "all of them" because they cause me to compartmentalized my life. But the more I thought about it I don't know if I agree with myself and so will also say none of them because they enable my interaction with my world.

Gassho

S

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk

Nindo

I don't like the word "meditation" when I try to explain practice to non-Buddhists. I use it because I can't think of anything else that makes sense, but there seem to be a ton of notions and misconceptions attached to this word in our society.

Seiryu,

I don't think it's about "liking" certain terms instead of others. It's more about recognizing the limitations of words, all words . . . not to mention, preconceived ideas about various terms. Of course, words are the tools we use, and as Katagiri used to say, "You have to say something."

Gassho

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer G P
    Seiryu,

I don't think it's about "liking" certain terms instead of others. It's more about recognizing the limitations of words, all words . . . not to mention, preconceived ideas about various terms. Of course, words are the tools we use, and as Katagiri used to say, "You have to say something."

Gassho

Jen
    _/_

Very true!
    Thanks for pointing that out!

*shrug* words are just words. Whatever power they carry is the power we give to them. Terms can be very useful in the sense that they cut away much of the necessary explanation - instead of using 50 words, you can use one (i.e. Buddhism). That, however, is also the downfall of a term - those 50 words may be a little different for different people. They don't see the same thing you see, so one has to be careful.

This is the reason I try not to use certain terms - too much work explaining the darn thing to make sure everyone's on the same page. Action seems a much quicker, more direct and honest means of communication.

Why do we like or dislike anything? We get attached to labels (like/dislike, good/bad, etc.) through conditioning.

I think mostly it's not really about what we like or dislike so much as what we feel others might think. For example, some people do not like to think of themselves or term themselves as "Buddhist" becasue it carries the connotation that one "worships" Buddha.