Thread: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Xin Xin Ming - (IV) - EYE OF STORM

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Xin Xin Ming - (IV) - EYE OF STORM

TODAY'S SIT-A-LONG WAS PRE-RECORDED LAST WEEK BECAUSE JUNDO IS IN NORTHERN JAPAN TODAY, IN THE REGION HIT BY THE EARTHQUAKE/TSUNAMI/NUCLEAR ACCIDENT AND HIT AGAIN BY LAST WEEK'S BIG TYPHOON

Daily life is filled with many storms. They blow around us great and small, and the circumstances of life can sometimes knock us right off our feet! They blow within us, as the mind reactively rages and storms with emotions and thoughts about those circumstances ... fears, "what if's", anger, clutching, resistance, all manner of mental lightning and thunder.

Today's passage of the Xin Xin MIng counsels us not to become mentally entangled in the outside storms. Be serene, allow, 'let go', do not judge ... experience the wholeness of life, both clear and sunny times and storming days. However, neither seek to remain trapped in the calm, quiet, still, boundless "eye" at the center of the storm which Zazen reveals. Rather, know BOTH AT ONCE, AS ONE ... the calm that is the storm, the stillness at the heart of each and every chaotic gust, a subtle serenity and 'allowing' even when terrible and deadly winds rage within and without. Find the wholeness of 'Eye' and 'Storm'. Neither seek to be totally unmoving, stiil, frozen or passive, nor let life and the mind blow one around wildly here and there. Rather, live stillness in action.

Live neither in the entanglements of outer things,
    nor in inner feelings of emptiness.
    Be serene in the oneness of things
    and such erroneous views will disappear by themselves.
    When you try to stop activity to achieve passivity
    your very effort fills you with activity.
    As long as you remain in one extreme or the other
    you will never know Oneness.

Sometimes I remember when we used the live in Florida, and some literal hurricanes came our way. One would try to take action while remaining calm and collected ... neither panicked nor passive, gathering water and supplies, battening down the windows. A time for action, yet hand-in-hand with inner stillness and balance, pre-storm Samu work practice! On the other hand, should we try to artificially "stay calm", try forcibly to hold down the mind, the thoughts-emotions might start running even more like a freight train! Instead, I remember spending a couple of nights huddled in a dark closet with my family, the walls shaking and windows breaking. Moments of fear might come and go, and thoughts of "what if the roof comes off!" ... the mind's storm reacting to the storm outside. However, one could also know calm and "allowing" amid the terrible noise and commotion, not entangled by the circumstance, calm even as the storm did its worst. I would sit Zazen there, and at some point just let the storm do what it would ...

... as if throwing out one's arms, merging into the sound, letting the wind carry one where it will.

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended

Last edited by Jundo; 04-26-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Re: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Xin Xin Ming - (IV) - EYE OF STORM

Gassho. A remarkable Sit-A-Long, Jundo. I will hear the pit-pat of the rain for many days....

The true beauty of this practice is revealed when you can remain on the path of the teachings even through storms of mind or nature! Deep gassho for being an example of this _/_

You teach by example, thank you Jundo
    _()_
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lin
    You teach by example, thank you Jundo
    _()_
    peter
    So often an example of what -not- to do ... but, yes, I am an example. :wink:

Gassho, J

Thank you Jundo ! That was quite a beat you had going there

_/_

Very powerful teaching.

Thank you Jundo. I hope your home was okay after all this.

Deep, deep gassho.

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,

Shawn

PS - Posted up to podcast as well!

I know the water from the typhoon was invading your house, but the rhythmic patter of the drops in the pans was really rather soothing, in a strange way.

Thank you for teaching in all sorts of conditions!!!

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Yup...'nuff said.

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Yup...'nuff said.

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    I will quote your quote... deep truth _/_

I second what Shokai said, I actually started boppin my head. lol

A very, very encouraging talk. Sometimes I question why I practice, and you articulated it; although I could not articulate it yet. I need to hear these teachings over and over; it's like my habit can cloud out clear thinking.

Would it be accurate to say that our way is to find comfort in what is... not adding or taking away? Is finding comfort the wrong word?

Gassho,

Risho

I am taking a lot of notes today! _/_ Thank you, Jundo

The raindrops were peaceful sound effects... an interesting, natural rhythm.

All this hurricane stuff reminded me of the time 5 years ago when we were living in an apartment and a tornado hit. It's hard to stay calm when you're hiding in the bathroom and everything around you is shaking . . . and yet . . . what else are you going to do? We were lucky that night; some of our neighbors weren't. And the next day, everybody was out cleaning up and carrying on with it.

Anyway, a good talk.

Gassho

Jen

thanks again Jundo.

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Risho

Would it be accurate to say that our way is to find comfort in what is... not adding or taking away? Is finding comfort the wrong word?

Gassho,

Risho
    Well, so much is beyond words and descriptions!

I sometimes say "Wholly-Holy-At Home-Wholeness" to describe the feeling ... but that's even with the part of life that are anything but "comfortable', and with which we do not feel "at home"!

Maybe a subtle "Comfort" (Capital 'C') both with the comfortable and uncomfortable?

Just words. 8)

Gassho, J