Thread: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: An URGENT ANGO CAUTION!

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: An URGENT ANGO CAUTION!

I would like to offer an important reminder and CAUTION to ALL THOSE UNDERTAKING ANGO, RAKUSU SEWING FOR JUKAI and such at Treeleaf ...

... both those who say "it is all going well" ... and those who say "it is not going well" ...

... those who say that "all has been smooth as silk" ... and those who have encountered bumps and places to trip ...

... those who say they have met every goal they set for themselves ... and those who have not.

Do not forget about "Goalless Goals", about having no place to fall even when we trip and fall! There is no place not the "place for Ango" when lived as such!

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY!

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.

Last edited by Jundo; 11-11-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Re: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: An URGENT ANGO CAUTION!

Jundo,

Thank you for this teaching.

It actually made me tear up, but in a good way.

Your teachings have made a true difference in my life and represent a debt I shall never be able to repay, but I shall keep trying pass on what I learn as long as I live.

Thank you Jundo...so very much.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks Jundo,
    very well said, and something to take to our hearts.
    _()_
    Peter

ps.: loving the "5-Minutes-glued-Rakusu" :lol:

Awesome teaching. It resonated for me on all ten thousand sides. Thank you

Once again, Jundo-oso, thank you for your wonderful teaching. Instead of a rakusu, I have decided to sew the Kesa. You'll be happy to hear I miscalculated and need to go back for more material :lol: :roll:

gassho,

Thank you Jundo.

The part where you mentioned how if you make a mistake during chanting, you just move on from there...wonderful lesson.

Gassho!

Shawn

PS - Added to podcasts.

Thank you Jundo Sensei. I came to this same conclusion after two stressful weeks of having a pass/fail mentality towards Ango! Though I try very hard to keep commitments I have let go(mostly) of the judging of my practice, or at times lack there of!

Gassho,
    John

Thanks jundo just what I needed to hear!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Gassho,

Risho

Thank you, sensei.

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: An URGENT ANGO CAUTION!

Perfect! :-)

Ron

Thank you.
    Gassho.

Resistance to things we don't like is in our heads. Yes, that's one huge teaching for me.

Thank you, Jundo.

Its is strange : listening teachings about mistakes and being happy. But Treeleaf Zendo Zen makes me happy : without metaphysical words, without guilty, concrete and simple, it is a good way. I try to do ango this year, and those teachings are giving help and courage. Thanks and gassho.
    Kosen.

Thank you for this timely talk. Very important to hear. You know, it all seems to come back to the same core messages--avoiding extremes, practicing sincerely, finding the Middle Way, all of life is practice. But they can never be repeated enough! We are dumb animals and our minds get the better of us.

Many bows (because I dislike them too),
    Matt

Great teaching Jundo. As always, you know the difficulties and "no mistakes" we get into and find the right words to help us to move from there towards or goal-less goal.
    How many times did I complain last week on difficulties not allowing me to continue my Ango? Now I can view it from a new light.

Thank you so much, Jundo. And thanks everybody for yer practice

Rimon

A much appreciated talk Jundo.

Gassho,
    Dustin

Thank you Jundo. _/_

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I would like to offer an important reminder and CAUTION to ALL THOSE UNDERTAKING ANGO, RAKUSU SEWING FOR JUKAI and such at Treeleaf ...
    Thank you for the clarification.

_/_

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai
    You'll be happy to hear I miscalculated and need to go back for more material :lol: :roll:
    Me too! :x :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by chocobuda
    Resistance to things we don't like is in our heads.
    Goes well with my "Just do it!" mantra that has been working for me...

Yugen

Brillyant! There are no missteaks! My shoulders have a burden lifted from them...!

The first few evenings I was working on the rakusu, my wife noted that if this exercise was going to turn me into such a wreck, maybe I was missing the point....

Thank you, now I can go back to rakusu sewing and accept it stitch by stitch, as-it-is! (And my family is not fleeing to the other side of the house while I sew)

Gassho,
    Yugen

Thanks jundo,

I do struggle when I feel that family are taking up my time and I would rather be doing the just sitting practice. I do know that this is a case of not accepting what is in the present moment. But I really struggle to go into the moment when doing chores in the house or looking after my children. Which include changing nappies or taking them to the toilet! Any suggestions or tips to help me include a hectic family life as part of my practice?

Gassho

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    Any suggestions or tips to help me include a hectic family life as part of my practice?

Gassho

Ray
    Well, that is the central theme of our little Sangha. I will open the floor to all our members with families who may have some tips, and also we have had many threads on such topics ... Here are some ...

viewtopic.php?p=41382#p41382

viewtopic.php?p=37888#p37888

viewtopic.php?p=34041#p34041

Gassho, Jundo

I do struggle when I feel that family are taking up my time and I would rather be doing the just sitting practice. I do know that this is a case of not accepting what is in the present moment. But I really struggle to go into the moment when doing chores in the house or looking after my children. Which include changing nappies or taking them to the toilet! Any suggestions or tips to help me include a hectic family life as part of my practice?
    Hi Ray,

As I have a 2 year old on my lap who really likes to play with keyboards, I will just say that Fugen's recent talk is a great place to start:

[youtube] [/youtube]

I'll post more later, but just remember that changing them and helping them go potty ARE Ango.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Jundo,

gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Hi Ray,

As I have a 2 year old on my lap who really likes to play with keyboards, I will just say that Fugen's recent talk is a great place to start:

[youtube] [/youtube]

I'll post more later, but just remember that changing them and helping them go potty ARE Ango.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Thanks very much Jundo for opening this up.

Thanks very much Dosho, the talk you posted inspires me to be more present with my children. When they play it inspires me to live in that moment and fully throw myself into the situation.

I guess when they need their butts wiped I become the best Butt wiper ever Or i become the butt or the tolit paper!!

No seriously, I did find this post/talk very uplifting and inspiring to be there for my kids and partner. Now is the time that life is happening and I should not let that pass by being somewhere else. I want to be part of the best show in town by just being!

Gassho

Ray

Kantai
    Thank you Jundo for this talk.

I haven't been able to follow all of my ango commitments due to assignments and reading at the university. Now, I know that when done with the right attitude that's ango to.

But, what is the right attitude?

Gassho
    Kantai

Quote Originally Posted by Kantai View Post
    Thank you Jundo for this talk.

I haven't been able to follow all of my ango commitments due to assignments and reading at the university. Now, I know that when done with the right attitude that's ango to.

But, what is the right attitude?

Gassho
    Kantai
    Thank you for finding this old talk from a few Ango ago. True then, still true now.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks Jundo for posting this thread. I think I've already been caught up in the pass/fail mentality too which isn't very productive. Just more blender noise.

Timely medicine. Thank you and deep bows.

Gassho,
    -Jeff

This talk came up on my Treeleaf podcast list today, so very timely.

Thank you.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sattoday

Thank you Jundo, and Shoka!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Timely indeed.

I had been thinking that I have had a mixture of 'the rough and the smooth' through this Ango period. While initially I tried to not be too harsh on myself about the rough, or too proud of myself about the smooth, I've come to accept more that it is all about living through/with the 'rough with the smooth'. I think that Ango can be a microcosm of our broader life. Many lessons to be learned. Just as 'form is emptiness; emptiness is form', there is really no separation between the rough and the smooth. Life just 'is'...

Gassho,
    Anshu

-sat today-

Thank you for a timely lesson.
    Very helpful for accepting all my current rough parts of this Ango as well as
    seeing the smooth ones what they actually are, and being with what is.

Gassho,
    Sergey
    justsat

Thank you Jundo for this reminder, and thank you, Sangha, for bringing this talk back and being part of "what is"! Also helpful is the discussion in the thread about family being a part of our Ango. I have tried to allow my family to be part of Ango practice, whether it be a child interrupting Zazen, school or homework commitments pre-empting sewing, or being mindful of the constant worries (and sometimes crises) about the kids that come up. Now it's time to dust off and start again, having not quite gotten in the avowed Ango 45 minute sit yesterday due to work and family obligations.

Gassho,
    Sierra
    Sitting now

Jundo,
    Thanks so much for this teaching.
    Gassho
    Theophan
    Sat Today

Jundo,

Thank you for this timely reminder. Even something as small as daily zazen should be accepted in this way. It was neither rough nor smooth; it was simply zazen.

Gassho,
    Trish
    sat today

drawn by my hand's dance
    the grey cat stalks the keyboard
    now I must edit post
    Last edited by tlap; 11-10-2015 at 12:31 AM.

Dear Jundo, Thank you so much for this message. Greatly appreciated. I will do my best to embrace this teaching. Deep bows, Matt #SatToday

Thank you Foe this lesson Jundo. I've probably made three Rakusus by now with stopping, taking apart and re-sewing. What an experience! It is truly as life is

I hope to remember this lesson when I join in the next Ango.

Metta

Gassho

Clarisse Sat2Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jundo,

Whenever I fall out of the Ango saddle, by some glorious act of serendipity the necessary teaching appears here, as though by magic. There is much wisdom in this sangha. This weekend I fell right off the Ango horse and then up pops Jundo, with his lovely beardy face, and gives just the right teaching for me to get back into the saddle, grab the reins and cantor off.

Thank you for your teaching, Jundo. It means a lot to me.

Martyn

Sitting now.

Thank you Jundo. This is a timely reminder.

Gassho,

Simon

Sat Today