Thread: Dana for Ango

Dana for Ango

Anyone know if there's anything similar to this http://www.bhikkhuni.net/support.html

... but for Soto Zen nuns? I already support Alliance for Bhikkhunis, but in the spirit of Ango I'm trying to up the ante a bit, so to speak.

I tried to donate to Shundo Aoyama's temple (http://www.murouji.or.jp/) but I couldn't find a way to donate online.

Re: Dana for Ango

Hi,

The Soto-shu and its affiliated temples in Japan are reasonably wealthy (very wealthy compared to much of the world), and I would encourage folks to donate instead to those with real need. Dana certainly does not need to go to priests, and can go many places.

Might I encourage folks to look at charities such as these, for folks with pressing need?

viewforum.php?f=34

Gassho, Jundo

I second Jundo on this one, I am sick to the backteeth with all this money flowing in the direction of mighty churches. They can do takuhatsu or beg in the streets of Jerusalem. The poor, the sick, the people without name, fame or rank are the people we should serve.

I was once jobless and almost homeless, things changed and one fine day, I might go back there. Who knows? Anyway, my real determination is not to serve the very people that are taking everybody for a hell of a ride: bishops, presidents, politicians are just ar..s, like everybody else. VIPs make me laugh. Cannot care less.

gassho

Taigu

I was just working on a dana initiative for Ango myself and thought I'd share.

Also, Shinkai, I know you are just south of me and work for Facebook so I thought you may be interested:

I started a FB page for Dana activity in North Texas:

Compassion in Action

And then started some work with the North Texas Food Bank to start a food drive and used FB to make it an event:

CIA Food Drive

My neighbourhood has a group on FB, so it makes it easy to get them involved as well!

Dakota @ Lantana

I believe they have similar opportunities for dana down in your neck of the woods and I'm sure that your Facebook ki is much more powerful. (Any suggestions are welcome!)

Gassho,

Shawn

Taigu and Jundo, thank you for the perspective.

Shawn, awesome work there. We really need to meet up and sit some zazen next time I'm in Dallas!

Maybe better yet when I'm in Austin. Too stinkin' hot up here.

But yes, anytime you are up in the area just let me know...I recently met a wonderful Tibetan Buddhist in Denton who owns a gift shop and has a zendo (or whatever it's called in Kagyu tradition) in the back that's lovely.

Gassho,

Shawn

I will be donating to the Wisconsin Easter Seals and Shriner's Hospital.

"Since 1926, Easter Seals Wisconsin has been creating life-changing solutions for individuals with disabilities and their families. Whether providing recreational opportunities for children, respite care for families, helping farmers continue to farm after a disabling accident or illness, or helping children and adults with disabilities gain greater independence in everyday living, Easter Seals offers a variety of services to address life’s challenges and to help individuals achieve personal goals."

My oldest son Calvin was born with a physical disability and he attended the Easter Seals summer camp consecutively for a few years. He loved it, and the camp experience created a positive influence in his life. Just being with other kids that could relate to the struggles he was going through was priceless. We are forever grateful for what the camp and its worker gave to Calvin.

http://www.eastersealswisconsin.com/

I would also like to donate to Shriner's Hospital of Chicago. This is where Calvin received medical treatment for his condition. It is an amazing place and without their help, he would not be walking today. All of the staff including the food service workers expressed such great compassion and love to all their patients. Calvin always felt comfortable being there even during his stay recovering from surgeries.

"Shriners Hospitals for Children has a mission to:
    • Provide the highest quality care to children with neuromusculoskeletal conditions, burn injuries and other special healthcare needs within a compassionate, family-centered and collaborative care environment.
    • Provide for the education of physicians and other healthcare professionals.
    • Conduct research to discover new knowledge that improves the quality of care and quality of life of children and families.
    This mission is carried out without regard to race, color, creed, sex or sect, disability, national origin or ability of a patient or family to pay.

http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/en.aspx

I will also be donating baby clothes and items to Mary's Room. It is an organization in my town that gives baby items to single mothers in need.

Thanks,
    Jodi

I agree with Jundo and Taigu on this. The Sotoshu take a cut of all donations for themselves. I think it's best to go with respected, established and clearly audited charities.
    Gassho
    Soen

Quote Originally Posted by jodi_h
    I would also like to donate to Shriner's Hospital of Chicago. This is where Calvin received medical treatment for his condition. It is an amazing place and without their help, he would not be walking today. All of the staff including the food service workers expressed such great compassion and love to all their patients. Calvin always felt comfortable being there even during his stay recovering from surgeries.

"Shriners Hospitals for Children has a mission to:
    • Provide the highest quality care to children with neuromusculoskeletal conditions, burn injuries and other special healthcare needs within a compassionate, family-centered and collaborative care environment.
    • Provide for the education of physicians and other healthcare professionals.
    • Conduct research to discover new knowledge that improves the quality of care and quality of life of children and families.
    This mission is carried out without regard to race, color, creed, sex or sect, disability, national origin or ability of a patient or family to pay.

http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/en.aspx
    Jodi, thank you so much for mentioning this . . . I can't believe the Shriners' Hospital of Chicago slipped my mind, as my brother has been very involved in fundraising with them (and also rides around on a little bike during parades ). I'm also going to put in some extra hours at my volunteer gig, and donate a lot of stuff I no longer need to the local Salvation Army shop. The SA has always been really upfront about where their money goes, and their overhead is low.

Gassho

Jen

Hi All,

I'm making one donation for each month of Ango. I had the first two already picked out and now because of this thread I have some great ideas for my unchosen 3rd!
    Thanks to all for contributing your thoughts here!

Gassho,
    John

I was discussing with my wife about what can be done after the food drive is over. My wife then came up with the idea of, instead of gifts, this year we will ask our friends and family to give to Save the Children in our daughter's honour for her birthday on the 25th. She's (and we're) very blessed and we thought this may be a great opportunity to bless others in gratitude of our little blessing.

I have twin 9 year olds whose birthday is on the 23rd (yes I know...3 birthdays in 2 days...very hectic weekend). I will let them decide if they'd like to do likewise or not. Even if not, then I'll give them the option to donate some clothes or old toys... sort of "we've been blessed, so we bless others". Win/win either way.

I know this isn't my direct dana, but by proxy. I still see it as a great opportunity to practice with my family and include them.

Gassho,

Shawn

Shawn wrote:
    I know this isn't my direct dana, but by proxy.
    Hi Shawn,

I doubt that such destinctions would be of concern to those who will benefit from said generosity!

Gassho,
    John

I'm going to go through some of the listings here for dana ideas: http://www.microgiving.com/

some are simply cries for money, but some seem like worthy micro-charities/people in need.

Nindo

I finally found a charity that resonates with me for the main part of my ango dana. It's called Room to Read (http://www.roomtoread.org/). I earmarked my donation to go to programs particularly addressing girls. Below is their mission statement.

We envision a world in which all children can pursue a quality education, reach their full potential and contribute to their community and the world.

We work in collaboration with communities and local governments in developing countries to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the life skills they’ll need to succeed in school and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo
    I finally found a charity that resonates with me for the main part of my ango dana. It's called Room to Read (http://www.roomtoread.org/). I earmarked my donation to go to programs particularly addressing girls. Below is their mission statement.

We envision a world in which all children can pursue a quality education, reach their full potential and contribute to their community and the world.

We work in collaboration with communities and local governments in developing countries to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the life skills they’ll need to succeed in school and beyond.
    Thanks for sharing Nindo! I found this organization very interesting. It reminded me of what Thich Nhat Han wrote on generosity with the 2nd precept and the importance of educating all people in the world including those in third world countries.

Thanks,
    Jodi