Thread: Beads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beads

I have a mala that my dad brought me from India, made of teak. I used it a lot when I began in Yoga, and I really enjoyed the practice of chanting out loud or silently with the beads. Now, since I have been focusing on Buddhism, my beads are neglected. I know that they are used in Buddhist practice, but I don't know how they might fit in with our practice at Treeleaf. Do we use beads for anything? I know I've seen Taigu wearing some on his wrist.

I don't like to wear mine unless I am using them-- I don't like being a "spiritual poser." :P But I would like to use and wear them, if there is a recommended practice or symbolism within this sangha.

I know this is an old thread but I've made a regular practice of making Nenju. I grew up in a (somewhat) Catholic household and I was fascinated by the rosary. I would pray the rosary every day at one point. Just the combination of body, speech, and mind coming together felt almost magical. But leaving my Catholic faith, I put up my rosary and researched many different religions.

When I re-discovered Zen, I found the Mala beads very curious and was surprised that they were used in the same way rosaries were but I did my research before getting one from what I call my local "voodoo" shop. They snapped, of course, and I restrung them in the Soto Zen style. They snapped again but this time in the grass so I couldn't find all the pieces. It was strange for a while going without my nenju, but I decided to make some one day with ebony, bone, and old palmwood beads and I've been using them for a while, wrapping them around my left wrist and occasionally using them for mantras. The Mantra I use is "sabbe satta sukhi hontu" or "may all beings be well". It's lovely to me and I usually use the beads humming it to myself as I wait places.

These are the ones I've made for myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/javiert...n/10969990046/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/javiert...n/photostream/

It has a tassel now but I haven't updated the pictures.

Anyway, I love the act of making them and I've made ones for all of my immediate family for good luck.

If anyone is interested in having one, PM me and I can give you one. Just let me know the details. :3

Gassho,
    Javier

As you let go of the idea of this and that, of you and me, as you open up to the reality of one taste, you may pick up boulders , mountains and rivers and cities, you may roll under your fingers planets and suns, give the wheels of galaxies another spin, you may stretch to beyond and find yourself right here,
    right now.

Gassho

T.
    Last edited by Taigu; 11-23-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    As you let go of the idea of this and that, of you and me, as you open up to the reality of one taste, you way pick up boulders , mountains and rivers and cities, you may roll under your fingers planets and suns, give the wheels of galaxies another spin, you may stretch to beyond and find yourself right here,
    right now.
    Beautiful as always, Taigu - thank you!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    As you let go of the idea of this and that, of you and me, as you open up to the reality of one taste, you way pick up boulders , mountains and rivers and cities, you may roll under your fingers planets and suns, give the wheels of galaxies another spin, you may stretch to beyond and find yourself right here,
    right now.

Gassho

T.
    Gorgeous teaching, Taigu. Thank you.

Hi all

I now have mala bead dukkha.

But seriously thank you for an interesting informative discussion.

Gassho
    C
    And Clark, I should mention that they're pay what you want. X3 Including the fantastic price of $0. I'll have them whether people want them or not and I'd love to give them to my dharma brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins. C:

Gassho to all,

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Bobman4671 View Post
    Gorgeous teaching, Taigu. Thank you.

And Clark, I should mention that they're pay what you want. X3 Including the fantastic price of $0. I'll have them whether people want them or not and I'd love to give them to my dharma brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins. C:

Gassho to all,

Javier
    Thanks Javier

All in good fun

Gassho
    C

Hi all

Gassho
    C

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Hi all

Gassho
    C
    Clark, I am thinking the exact same thing. Last summer my yoga instructor was selling mala beads that were made in India. Now I'm regretting that I did not buy some. I will definitely be on the lookout for some after reading about them here, great discussion.

Gassho,
    Treena

Thank you Taigu. Your poetic teaching resonates deeply in my bones. :-)

Gassho, John

I like the thread. I have a nice juzu I got from a Shingon temple in LA. I tried reading more into Shingon, but I didn't find much. Nevertheless, I still wear the juzu.

Gassho