Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: enlightenment

Re: enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen
    Sometimes I want to contribute to a discussion thread (such as this one) and then ask myself "how can I discuss enlightenment?" I wouldn't even know what it looks, feels, tastes, walks, or sounds like.... so I'll just go sit.

The conundrum I find myself in is in discussing Zen I move even further far away from it... perhaps that is why I lurk rather than post more frequently.... it is indescribable for me, and my experience is unique, as I am sure it is for each of us. Thank you for such a wonderful discussion in sharing each of your experiences.
    That's great Yugen. You spoke my mind. I *feel* much like you, however I find I typically open my mouth and then later read what I said and realize I'm a complete idiot. Honestly, the only thing that I know for sure is that zazen practice is where I should be. I love talking about zen but most of the time I really should just shut up and sit down (_/_ Brad Warner).

Gassho,

Shawn

That's the kicker, isn't it? We come to an online sangha (well any sangha would be the same really) and we try to talk about something "beyond words and letters". But these discussions we have help to clear some of the debris of delusion from the Path, and inevitably, some one will break out with the "stop trying to figure it out and just sit." And I think that the discussions we have get our minds in the right place for that "just sit" to hit us just right to where we say, "Yeah! That's true. I should just sit."

disastermouse

Whether you talk about it or not, whether you are 'head over heels' with the idea of enlightenment or are jaded and think it doesn't exist....

You can set down both ideas, stop pushing so hard, and sit. Don't worry about what enlightenment is, what is 'this'? 'This' is the only thing you have any sort of thing approaching 'direct access' to, so what the heck is it? If someone describes as perfectly as possible what enlightenment is or isn't.....I think it's something you have to taste for yourself - but here's the kicker, as far as I can tell, enlightenment is what you're tasting now. It isn't anything else. What else is there? There's this moment, and then an idea of enlightenment which is also a part of this moment. But what is that idea made of? Where does it come from?

Sometimes I think people want to sit still and experience some great 'other', some great something that isn't this thing right in front of you. No, no, it can't be this, this is what I'm trying to get rid of, trying to change into something else. But what would it be if you weren't trying to change it to something else? Just what is it? Directly, what is it? You can't know it by standing apart and calling it, IMHO. Sink back into it, take the backward step and just 'don't know' for a second or two. Can you do that?

Chet

Yugen

Chet,
    Exactly on the mark - thank you! The concept of "not knowing"- how difficult to sit and just be OK with that - not only OK but find opportunity for living life as it is in the space of "not knowing" and finding opportunities for discovery, happiness,appreciation, and sadness, grief - all of life's emotional terrain. That's my big challenge - I have lived life so afraid of "not knowing" that I have not really lived at all. Now "not knowing" is a barometer for where I am on a particular day. Thank you for a spot on post.

Gassho,
    Yugen

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen
    The concept of "not knowing"- how difficult to sit and just be OK with that - not only OK but find opportunity for living life as it is in the space of "not knowing" and finding opportunities for discovery, happiness,appreciation, and sadness, grief - all of life's emotional terrain. That's my big challenge - I have lived life so afraid of "not knowing" that I have not really lived at all. Now "not knowing" is a barometer for where I am on a particular day.
    What a great way to frame it, Yugen. Gassho!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12