Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ango Commitment Thread

Re: Ango Commitment Thread

I commit to:

Sit every day, and extend the period of sitting at least five minutes beyond my initial urge to stop. I will sit for a second time each day as time allows.

Join in each and every 90 minute Saturday Treeleaf Zazenkai, and 4-hour monthly Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast without fail

Add Metta Verse Practice and Nurturing Seeds Practice to my routine each day

Listen to each 'Sit-a-Long' Talk

Join in weekly Practice Partner Exercises

Join frequently in online discussions in our Jukai/Ango Forum

Meet with Jundo or Taigu by Skype video at least once per month or as time allows.

Complete and participate in each of the readings and discussions each week regarding the individual Precepts, as well as complete Rakusu sewing. (This depends on my ability to gather materials, which I will decide on shortly)

Make formal study on the meaning and philosophy of Samu, and apply such perspectives and attitudes in your family and work duties each day.

Give up one or two items or passions one truly loves during the Practice period, for example, sweets after meals, luxurious meals, cigarettes, television, consumer purchases of luxury items. (I'm already on a very tight budget, so I'll see what else I can frugalize on.)

mindful eating, and silently or orally recite one short meal chant before all meals

Charitable donations of my time to anyone I meet that is in need (I don't have a job and can't give money)

Sit our SPECIAL NETCAST ROHATSU RETREAT

---------------------------------------------------------

There you have it. Gassho to all participating.

My Ango practice will be dedicated to those close to us we lost this past year....my mother, my wife's father, and our dog. So I dang well better stay on track or someone can hit me with a wisk or whatever is handy. (I would use stronger language, but keeping mindful of the precepts.) In addition to what the basic list is for Ango I will do the following:

I find 40 mins. of zazen to be perfect for me. I have slipped away from this doing 20 to 30. Thus, I will practice a minimum of 40 minutes in one continuous sitting. In addition, I will add another sitting time per day...that will vary and subject to time constraints.

For my samu, I will volunteer at a local animal shelter. I have not yet worked out the details on this one, but have been doing research on what is available.

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

For me I am committing to no late night snacking and sweets

Hi all,

Here are my commitments for Ango:

- I will add 5 minutes to my current sitting as well as add a second sitting, for a total of two 30 minute sits.

- I will join each zazenkai, both the 90 minute and 4 hour versions, live each week.

- I will be more consistent with my metta practice and add nurturing seeds, doing both each day.

- I will listen to each sit-a-long as soon as I have the occasion to do so.

- I will undertake the practice partner exercises with my Ango partner (JRBrisson).

- I will join in the discussions on the forum, particularly those relating to Ango and Jukai.

- I will meet with Jundo on Skype at regular intervals.

- I will sew a rakusu as part of my preparations for Jukai.

- I will strive to incorporate the principles of samu into my daily work practice.

- I will continue to reduce those things in which I often overindulge, including fats, sweets, television and internet, as well as my dwelling in thoughts and performing actions that are inconsistent with the Precepts.

- I will undertake these commitments in cooperation with the members of the sangha and will do whatever I can to support their commitments to Ango, Jukai, the Precepts, and to all living beings (myself included).

Deep bows to all who choose to participate in this Ango and continue to teach me every day.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Here's to two a day sits, my normal morning and a shorter evening sit.
    Bye bye to evening snacks.

I'm in like Flynn. Committing to the basic set plus swearing off cokes and french fries in favor of healthier choices. Ango coincides with training for a 5k and continued dissertation work, and one goal is to realize a fuller presence in those and other activities.
    Peace,
    Ted (Untei)

I think I am going to give up slouching, shaking my legs, and biting my nails. I vow stillness.

Aside from refocusing my efforts on a long neglected practice, I also plan to be more mindful day to day, and will be attempting a near meatless and overall healthier diet for the future.
    Gassho ~ Hogo.
    P.S. I say "near " meatless as I have not ruled out an ocasional meal of (localy farmed) eggs or fish. All things in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia
    I think I am going to give up slouching, shaking my legs, and biting my nails. I vow stillness.
    From all the commitments I have read, yours is perhaps one of the most difficult and one that I need. To achieve stillness. I shall join you on this one.

I commit to participate in Ango I will give up chocolate I am a late starter ops: -Gasho Andrea

My most difficult challenge for ango: No hitting the snooze bar in the morning! It's a seriously bad habit...

For my inspiration:

"The important point is that we can neither escape everyday life nor ignore it... When it is time to get up, just get up. Even though you don't like it, just get up. Getting up will free you from the fact that you have to get up." --Dainin Katagiri

I think of that quote nearly every morning....

Quote Originally Posted by chocobuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia
    From all the commitments I have read, yours is perhaps one of the most difficult and one that I need. To achieve stillness. I shall join you on this one.
    I haven't been doing so well so far! How about you? We will support each others' stillness. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    "The important point is that we can neither escape everyday life nor ignore it... When it is time to get up, just get up. Even though you don't like it, just get up. Getting up will free you from the fact that you have to get up." --Dainin Katagiri
    Great quote. Lately, I tell myself: "Just do it... just do it... just do it..."

OK: I just added "meal gatha" to my google calendar 3x daily, in red, two notifications. Take that, resistance!

Yugen

A late arrival, but better late than never - I will sit twice per day and give up alcohol - I am not much of a drinker (twice, sometimes three times per week) but I notice that it depresses me and I do not feel great the next day, and we are only talking about 8-10 ozs.(beer - I do not drink hard stuff) at a time! I seem to have developed a sensitivity to alcohol that I did not have in years past.....

Gassho,
    Yugen

I've printed down all the mandatory and strongly suggested items in the Ango, and because I have Buddha nature, or better well put, I am Buddha Nature, I'm sure I'm going to succeed with all.
    First thing in the morning I'll read the list and then jump into Zazen, with a extra quarter.
    Items I'm going to drop are both food related: munching outside regular hours and eating more healthier, subtstituting those fries or burgers with fresh vegetables and fruits. It will also help me to stay in shape.
    I also plan to take regular lessons on the Alexander technique.
    This afternoon I'm cutting the fabrics for the rakusu.
    Happy and excited about this Ango
    Thanks for all your practice

Rimon

Very eager to learn about your Alexander classes!

Nindo

My resolution is to not eat while standing (think raiding the fridge outside of meal times) and to not buy any more dharma books until I have read the ones that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo
    My resolution is to not eat while standing (think raiding the fridge outside of meal times) and to not buy any more dharma books until I have read the ones that I have.
    Now that's commitment.....

Hi.

During the discussion with Shohei yesterday an additional Angocomittment came up:
    I will not read every post on Treeleaf during the Ango.
    Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    Hi.

During the discussion with Shohei yesterday an additional Angocomittment came up:
    I will not read every post on Treeleaf during the Ango.
    Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    :lol:
    I have a love/hate relationship with an idea like that!

Gassho,
    John

Fugen, everything balances, I guess. My Ango committment: I will read every post duing Ango. : ) Got you covered!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindo
    Now that's commitment.....
    Just to clarify (and tx to Nindo for the opportunity to do so via PM): I was not at all being sarcastic! Indeed, I too should have added this to my ango list! ops:

I know that feeling as well! It's like some sort of odd addiction. I love books. Separate from Ango, I recently decided that I will buy and read only the book(s) that we're reading in the Book Club. That way I don't over-read/over-buy, which I have a tendency to do. :mrgreen:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12