Thread: Deepak Chopra's meditation game for Xbox

Deepak Chopra's meditation game for Xbox

Hey guys

I was reading one of my video game blogs and I came to this piece.

It's called Leela and it was imagined by Chopra in order to align your chakras and teach you to meditate.

http://kotaku.com/5824913/how-deepak-ch ... game-works

Not sure what to make of it.

In the first place I don't like Mr. Chopra but on the other hand I think it's a great idea if meditation gets to more people.

Now I like video games but this seems too new agey to my taste. What ever happened to good old zazen?

Is this part of our modern instant gratification culture? "Buy my game, get your illumination TODAY! Just 5 minutes a day. No diets nor exercise."

I think I prefer Jundo's Insta-Zazen. :mrgreen:

Re: Deepak Chopra's meditation game for Xbox

Wii fit has Zazen :roll:
    [youtube] [/youtube]
    Gassho,
    John

It seems a bit too fussy to worry about these kinds of things. People are gonna bitch about violent video games... now they're going to bitch about the meditation ones too? Can no one be pleased?

Don't like it, don't buy it.

Edit** I realize this sounds kind of harsh in context. I didn't mean for it to be so, and I am not directing the comment at chocobuda!

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia
    It seems a bit too fussy to worry about these kinds of things. People are gonna bitch about violent video games... now they're going to bitch about the meditation ones too? Can no one be pleased?

Don't like it, don't buy it.

Edit** I realize this sounds kind of harsh in context. I didn't mean for it to be so, and I am not directing the comment at chocobuda!
    Oh I don't even have an Xbox, so I'm pretty much out of the demographics.

Just wanted to share something I thought it was interesting.

I never knew that I could use my Wii Fit board as a zafu. I wonder if it is as comfortable as kapok? :P

Gassho,
    Bryan

Hi,

I was considering to move this thread out of the Zen section ... simply because it contains the name Deepak "Deep Pockets" Chopra, who I consider half wise guru / half carnival huckster. As he often himself describes himself ... he is a "Profit" more than a "Prophet".

I did not move it because, as I am pleased to see, a bunch of folks here already recognize this about "Opra Chopra". 8)

I tried the WiiFit Zazen (when one tries to sit so still that the candle does not blow out), scored pretty well ... although it was tricky without a Zafu.

However, I think we need a real Wii Shikantaza game ... with nothing to attain even as we try diligently to rack up points ... no winners or losers, even with winners and losers ... and "just sitting with what is" no matter what appears on the screen before us.

Something like that. In fact, all of life is already that game!

Gassho, J

You might be able to sit on the edge of the board, with your knees on the floor.

FWIW, I think anything that exposes people to meditation is a Good Thing.

Slightly off-topic, I just read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Us-Sit-Stil ... 1609611586

Tim Parks is a novelist and translator, and had serious pains in the bladder and prostate area. He recounts his struggle with doctors, then a shiatsu practitioner, and finally his discovery of Vipassana meditation, and how it not only relieved his pains (that was his initial goal), but led to a new discovery of his self, or lack thereof. As a story of a journey, it's quite interesting, and as a writer he's entertaining. Anyone who discovers meditation in this manner - even though his first goal was simply to get rid of pain - is taking a first step that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I did not move it because, as I am pleased to see, a bunch of folks here already recognize this about "Opra Chopra". 8)
    I personally don't like the guy at all even if he has a huge army of fans in lines to get illuminated by him.

Getting people to know meditation is a good thing, but I'm not sure a videogame with his brand is a good idea at all. I can already see all the Oprah/Chopra fans talking about this.

Me? I prefer to go the zazen way.