Thread: Using a zafu

Using a zafu

This is a short vid for Amelia and everybody really, check it, please.

gassho

Taigu

[youtube] [/youtube]

disastermouse

Re: Using a zafu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu

gassho

Taigu

[youtube] [/youtube]
    Monks, cats, and fools -LOL!

I used these instructions for constructing a Zafu: http://www.buddhamind.info/leftside/.../medi/zafu.htm

Taigu,
    Thanks.
    Soen

This was the exact question I was going to ask this morning. Yesterday my little niece who likes to sit with me and is very quiet, loves to do whatever I'm doing, and concentrates well, plopped herself down on the floor and just automatically sat in the full lotus position (childhood flexibility, THOSE were the days). My kneecap would slide out of place whenever I tried it (adulthood loss of flexibility, old running injuries, and growing brittleness/stiffness *sigh*), so I had long ago given up on it. She showed me how I was "putting my leg wrong", and became my instructor. ops: and :shock: and . So now I am able to do it, but entering middle age and it being new, it's rather uncomfortable.

I tried it on my zafu and body told me immediately that "No, this will not work here AT ALL, thankyouverymuch!" But on a flatter Indian cushion, it's a bit easier, but only for very short periods, so I was glad see here that a flatter cushion is okay. I think what I will do is continue to sit the way I was sitting (Burmese, on my zafu) for zazen so I can still sit for my regular amount of time, but also take time outside of zazen exercising those muscles so I can try to sit zazen in that position as well. I can understand now why people use it, since it does keep the back aligned really well. But I need to build up to it, rather than jumping in the deep end, which I can see will be nothing but discomfort and distraction at this time.

I also saw here that I wasn't "prepping" the zafu correctly and that's probably why I was ending up with back stiffness even though I'd seen the beginner's videos that showed a more relaxed and natural posture being preferable.

Thank you very much, Taigu and Thank you very much Amelia for requesting it. Very definitely an extremely very helpful video to me on several points!

Thank you for the refresher Taigu Sensei.

Gassho,
    John

Very helpful tips!

In addition, I must say that a video with a joyful Taigu explaining sewing, soup, zafus -- you name it! -- does a better job of explaining why happiness never decreases by being shared than anything I can think of.

Gassho!

Thank you Taigu sensei!

Thank you, Taigu San.

It's always great to have a refreshing look at our sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Thank you very much! :mrgreen: Time to take out my notes and add some stuff...

I do tend to arch, and this may be the major source of my problem-- when sitting flat on the floor, one cannot help but arch the back because that is the only way to maintain a straight back. So, I guess it's not really straight.

Thanks again, this is very much appreciated.

_/_Gassho_/_

---

Quote Originally Posted by Fuken
    I used these instructions for constructing a Zafu: http://www.buddhamind.info/leftside/.../medi/zafu.htm
    This is perfect, thanks!

Brilliant Thank you.
    I also made my first Zafu Amelia, and it was every bit sturdy and functional as my current purchased one. I highly recommend building one as Fuken recommended!

Gassho
    Shohei

This is great, thanks! That's the online missing part of an online sangha: not having a physical presence to correct our sitting posture!

Gassho,
    Matt

Thank you for the refresher Taigu!

Just as a nice refresher, Fukanzazengi has some wonderful guidance as well, especially the second paragraph. I think one of the things that have helped me the most is the alignment commentary of the ears over the shoulders and the nose over the navel. In the past I find that I have leaned too far forward or hunched too much causing pain in my upper back. Keeping those points in mind has helped alleviate that greatly.

Gassho,

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shards
    Thank you for the refresher Taigu!

Just as a nice refresher, Fukanzazengi has some wonderful guidance as well, especially the second paragraph. I think one of the things that have helped me the most is the alignment commentary of the ears over the shoulders and the nose over the navel. In the past I find that I have leaned too far forward or hunched too much causing pain in my upper back. Keeping those points in mind has helped alleviate that greatly.

Gassho,

Shawn
    Thanks for the link Shawn

Gassho,
    John

Thanks Taigu

Thank you for this Taigu... seems silly... but I forgot how important it was to use our zafus "correctly"!

deep bows,
    Jinyu

pcward

Thank you! I needed that refresher.

Chris