Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: Treeleaf Fukudenkai

Treeleaf Fukudenkai

Hello friends,

As there has been some measure of interest on the other thread for the idea of a Treeleaf Fukudenkai on Google+, I'm opening up this topic to discuss the best times and methods for interested participants. Thus far, those who have expressed interest (other than myself ) are (in the order posted):

Rev. Shohei
    Dosho
    Rev. Taigu
    Jinmei
    Rev. Fugen
    Morelos
    Onshin
    Heisoku

Now, I am planning on doing 90 minutes of stitching each day during Ango, and will try to make sure I'm on Google+ in a "hangout" during that time. Hopefully, we can find a time that is relatively not-inconvenient for the group. For me, that would most likely translate to late evening (central time zone), though I should be flexible enough to join if there is a better time for the rest of the group.

Thoughts?

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun

EDIT: List Update

Re: Treeleaf Fukudenkai

Hi.

Count me in.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

To be honest... I'm not interested in anything related to Google+

I can't keep going from one social network to another. It will drive me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia

That too bad...sewing the buddha's robe can actually be quite helpful for such things.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi,

I know Taigu is the man for all these needle matters ...

... but perhaps this should be part of the already established Kesa Sewing Circle?

viewforum.php?f=7

Gassho, Jundo

Indeed...All participants are required to be part to the kesa sewing circle, be given access to the kesa sewing guide and study Shobeogenxo den e and kesa kudoku. On top of this, fukudenkai should always take place with a very experienced person, one the three priests in training, an old member of this community or myself. I insist that the tradition is maintained without any changes being made to methods, sewing, cutting, size, patterns and colour.
    Apart from these apparent restrictions, nothing to say. Yes, one thing, this is not a place for chating or talking, seek information if needed, and needle and cissors should only speak. NO IDLE TALKING, please.

gassho

Taigu

Please count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia

That too bad...sewing the buddha's robe can actually be quite helpful for such things.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    :wink:

Count me in if I can get my computer to co-operate. :lol:

I would like to sew the Kesa. Will it take place here on the sewing foreum or on google?

Late to the party here, broken cars, dog, and egos, great time to sew and sew with you all, count me in.

Gassho
    Shohei

I'd be interested!

Blog Entries

Greetings all,
    I know we are way past Ango, but has this idea progressed at all? Has a Fukudenkai on G+ materialized? I would like to participate...

Gassho,
    Yugen

I do my sewing every now and then on G+...but honestly it's a bit sporadic. Most of the time I just like to sit and sew. I kind of get absorbed into it. However I think I'd be up to do a "Silent Fukudenkai".

Gassho,

Dokan

My sewing has fallen by the wayside for a variety of reasons, most of them little kid related :shock: I would welcome the opportunity to sew silently with y'all, however. Most of the evening sitters seem to be on EST/CST. Maybe this is something we could do one or two nights a week?

gassho,
    Shujin

its been a too long for me here and I think the company, of course silent, would be quite nice. I ll try to join in at a reasonable time!

Gassho
    Shohei

Blog Entries

I think it would be great if we could get together and do some silent sewing once a week. If we could set a fixed time, we make it when we can make it.... hopefully there would be at least one of us per week to keep the candle lit (if one of us is there we are all there)!

How about Tuesday or Wednesday evening at 9 or 10 PM Eastern time? Trying to find a time that would be after putting kids to bed but before lights out for grown ups..... Sunday evening if we want a second session?

Here is a link to an article talking about Kodo Sawaki and Fukudenkai in Japan post WW2.... you may have already seen it - and if I am reposting it my apologies....

http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/publicati...rs/pdf/697.pdf

Gassho,
    Yugen

I'm in! Those times work great for me!

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Yugen wrote

Here is a link to an article talking about Kodo Sawaki and Fukudenkai in Japan post WW2.... you may have already seen it - and if I am reposting it my apologies....

Thank you Yugen - this is new to me - looks like an informative article.

Gassho

Willow

Blog Entries

Why don't we try G+ at 9 PM Eastern time Tuesday night? I'm happy to do the same Wednesday evening same time to get some "thread time" in -

We could meet online - sew silently together - perhaps do the incense lighting and three bows individually before joining G+...?

Shall we meet this Tuesday evening?

I'm going to post this over in the Kesa Sewing Circle and suggest we continue the dialogue there...?

Gassho,
    Yugen

I might be interested in being a part of this. All depends on the time. The tuesday time being discussed is not to bad for me but I wont be able to make all of them.

Daido

Blog Entries

Daido
    Whatever you can do would be great! Ten minutes or an hour ... once a week or once a month.... it's all good.... I can certainly use the support. I'm staring at a bolt of fabric and scissors and needle and thread... if we need to adjust the time a bit later let us know?

Gassho,
    Yugen

Sounds good. I posted in the other thread as well. I look forward to it and I will keep my eye on this thread

Daido

Treeleaf Fukudenkai

I sit most evenings around 9pm. Would it bother anyone if I sat with you while you sewed?

Ron

Shugen

Blog Entries

Ron,
    I think it would be great... and I would sit with you other evenings at 9 when not sewing! I'll go up on G+ at 9PM Eastern tomorrow (Tuesday) evening...

Gassho,
    Yugen

Treeleaf Fukudenkai

:-)

Shugen

I know there is a thread somewhere about it.. But all the sewing, why? What is it good for?

Gassho

Ola

Quote Originally Posted by Ola Nelsson
    I know there is a thread somewhere about it.. But all the sewing, why? What is it good for?

Gassho

Ola
    The practice of sewing will answer that question for you, and I'm not being a smartass. I really mean it.

I'd like to do this as well.

Gassho,

Risho

Are we on for Tuesday at 9pm EST this week? I think I can make it around 930-1000p.

gassho,
    Shujin

Ola,

But all the sewing, why? What is it good for?
    As an expression of the deep gratitude of being alive.
    As a way to prepare for jukai and shukke tokudo.
    As a practice of acceptance of what is and the everlasting mending of our messy and scattered lives.

And essentially, as a useless practice, good for nothing.

gassho

Taigu

Some old words I wrote to express this

The practice of sewing is to experience and celebrate difference in life: we are all separated, distinct and each of us, every single speck of dust is at its true place in the whole reality. Each part of the kesa, each panel, stripe, every single stitch is in relationship with the whole. In sewing, we donít just get it intellectually; we directly put it into practice. For instance, we have to always be mindful of the whole when we work on a part, if we donít, we run the risk of getting off track or making a big mistakeÖ The gaze in sewing the kesa should be relaxed, all encompassing, inviting all things. When you sew the kesa, donít get too tense, eyes fixing the needle, donít be too serious, pompous or holy, invite the bird song you can hear, the moving foliage of trees but also the loud radio or the television racket next door or the busy traffic, invite all things without discrimination. Invite the child playing and interrupting your sewing, the phone call, the mistakes you make, the finger bruised or bleeding, invite the upset person you are, and sew them all into the fabric, each stitch, each step, each moment is unique, universal and total. Donít forget to invite the laughter and cries of your life, as it is. When my last marriage broke up, I was sewing a big kesa for my teacher, and I did sew it with so many tears and giggles, just life sewing life. That is holiness for me. Our life is made of patches; bits and pieces of experience, trips, meetings, failures, and successÖSew them in. Give your life to a single activity. This is also the secret of zazen. Give your whole life for nothing but the joy of being where you are. Sewing is done giving up the idea of completion and/or being increasingly aware of how we would like to rush things and get there very quickly. Sewing is very good for intellectually gifted stubborn people like me, hopeless guys blessed with 20, 30 or 50 years of great stupidity, the critical, depressed or arrogant kind are a very good material for sewing. When we are very young to this path we want to roar like a lion, we think gentle and kind people are a waste of time, we want to post or shout our understanding. With time and a few kesa behind you, you may have given up the belief that prajna can do it alone. Sewing is jumping into a world ablaze. Sewing is Bodhisattva work, giving your self to a simple fabric and allow Buddha to manifest. It is to practice with needle and thread a very simple yet great alchemy. The plain and mere fabric becomes the robe of the true form. Sewing this strange bib or this patchwork is merely seen as a loss of time. In Zen, we are not trying to gain anymore, we learn how to give time to being, give being to time, become being-time. What do you think you are doing when you sit? What do you do for letting the original face to manifest itself? Are you still sitting to get it? Then, sew! Because in sewing, you just take yourself apart and sew yourself together. Falling apart. Bowing. Getting together as one, gassho, zazen. In zen we practice like trees, all seasons are displayed. Dead leaves and blossoms.

In the tradition, we should bow at each stitch. We donít do that anymore. But it puts you in the pictureÖeverybody that takes Jukai or priest ordination should sew not just because it is too easy to buy the kesa or ask somebody to make it, it is because the journey is the goal, the very experience of sewing has more value than anything. If Zen priests donít understand the meaning of the robe with their marrow, it is just because they havenít given it a chance, they have simply refused to sew. At any stage, one can act with arrogance and ignorance. At any stage, one can let go of resistance. And forget about the sewing machine, the whole point is to face the resistance and bumps on the road as well as joys and simple being contented with a needle and a piece of thread. You have too ways, the quick fix which promises insight in a few hours or a lifetime of aimless travel, cloudlike, simple, so simple and yet so difficult.

This is the Nyoho e school, the school of the robe of as it is ness.

It is also the silent song of your formless sitting
    gassho

Taigu

We discussed this at the Treeleaf teaparty a liitle this week.

Thanks Taigu. Thanks for putting into words many of the things I have felt while sewing.

Daido

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Some old words I wrote to express this

The practice of sewing is to experience and celebrate difference in life: we are all separated, distinct and each of us, every single speck of dust is at its true place in the whole reality. Each part of the kesa, each panel, stripe, every single stitch is in relationship with the whole. In sewing, we donít just get it intellectually; we directly put it into practice. For instance, we have to always be mindful of the whole when we work on a part, if we donít, we run the risk of getting off track or making a big mistakeÖ The gaze in sewing the kesa should be relaxed, all encompassing, inviting all things. When you sew the kesa, donít get too tense, eyes fixing the needle, donít be too serious, pompous or holy, invite the bird song you can hear, the moving foliage of trees but also the loud radio or the television racket next door or the busy traffic, invite all things without discrimination. Invite the child playing and interrupting your sewing, the phone call, the mistakes you make, the finger bruised or bleeding, invite the upset person you are, and sew them all into the fabric, each stitch, each step, each moment is unique, universal and total. Donít forget to invite the laughter and cries of your life, as it is. When my last marriage broke up, I was sewing a big kesa for my teacher, and I did sew it with so many tears and giggles, just life sewing life. That is holiness for me. Our life is made of patches; bits and pieces of experience, trips, meetings, failures, and successÖSew them in. Give your life to a single activity. This is also the secret of zazen. Give your whole life for nothing but the joy of being where you are. Sewing is done giving up the idea of completion and/or being increasingly aware of how we would like to rush things and get there very quickly. Sewing is very good for intellectually gifted stubborn people like me, hopeless guys blessed with 20, 30 or 50 years of great stupidity, the critical, depressed or arrogant kind are a very good material for sewing. When we are very young to this path we want to roar like a lion, we think gentle and kind people are a waste of time, we want to post or shout our understanding. With time and a few kesa behind you, you may have given up the belief that prajna can do it alone. Sewing is jumping into a world ablaze. Sewing is Bodhisattva work, giving your self to a simple fabric and allow Buddha to manifest. It is to practice with needle and thread a very simple yet great alchemy. The plain and mere fabric becomes the robe of the true form. Sewing this strange bib or this patchwork is merely seen as a loss of time. In Zen, we are not trying to gain anymore, we learn how to give time to being, give being to time, become being-time. What do you think you are doing when you sit? What do you do for letting the original face to manifest itself? Are you still sitting to get it? Then, sew! Because in sewing, you just take yourself apart and sew yourself together. Falling apart. Bowing. Getting together as one, gassho, zazen. In zen we practice like trees, all seasons are displayed. Dead leaves and blossoms.

In the tradition, we should bow at each stitch. We donít do that anymore. But it puts you in the pictureÖeverybody that takes Jukai or priest ordination should sew not just because it is too easy to buy the kesa or ask somebody to make it, it is because the journey is the goal, the very experience of sewing has more value than anything. If Zen priests donít understand the meaning of the robe with their marrow, it is just because they havenít given it a chance, they have simply refused to sew. At any stage, one can act with arrogance and ignorance. At any stage, one can let go of resistance. And forget about the sewing machine, the whole point is to face the resistance and bumps on the road as well as joys and simple being contented with a needle and a piece of thread. You have too ways, the quick fix which promises insight in a few hours or a lifetime of aimless travel, cloudlike, simple, so simple and yet so difficult.

This is the Nyoho e school, the school of the robe of as it is ness.

It is also the silent song of your formless sitting
    gassho

Taigu
    I know it's wise to hold all things loosely, however I just had to print this out and keep in front of me while sewing...it's a true gem.

Thank you.

Gassho,

Dokan

Thank you, Taigu, for speaking to the heart of the matter. Like most people, I need a bit of prodding every now and then. Come to think of it, probably more than most people. :shock:

Gassho,
    Shujin

Blog Entries

any stage, one can act with arrogance and ignorance. At any stage, one can let go of resistance. And forget about the sewing machine, the whole point is to face the resistance and bumps on the road as well as joys and simple being contented with a needle and a piece of thread.
    Thank you Taigu, you have inspired me to get on with my kesa work. :shock: 8)

Gassho Taigu. But where does tradition come from?

Gassho
    Ola

I've been lazy about this work as well. I've not started the kesa. I read the documentation, but that was it. I will be starting this month for certain.

Gassho for the reminders,

Risho

Quote Originally Posted by Ola Nelsson
    Gassho Taigu. But where does tradition come from?

Gassho
    Ola
    Hi Ola,

Oh, "traditions" come from Emptiness ... as does Ola! That is where they non-come too.

However, they also come from the Timeless Old Times ... and represent heritage, one's roots and family ways. There may be endless ways to do things, but sometimes we pick one and pour our body and mind into that one way. There is value in that. Of course, one can be VERY VERY traditional, like an old Orthodox Jew or conservative monk, seeking to live exactly how things were lived 1000 years ago ...

... or one can choose to honor some vital Traditions, although perhaps not all of them ... making some "new traditions" at the heart of the old (that's me) ...

... but honoring and keeping some Traditions is a GREAT thing, no? It is the connection, holding past and future ... a POWERFUL link. Like a line of Legos stretching endlessly ...

[youtube] [/youtube]

Blog Entries

Tell it like it is;
    Without our tradition our life would be as shaky as a fiddler on the roof :shock:
    And you gotta just love that quirky little chorus line :lol: thanks Jundo, have a great day

Is it just me, or was that opening fiddle in the same tune as our chanting of "The Identity of Relative and Absolute"(Sandokai)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyu
    Is it just me, or was that opening fiddle in the same tune as our chanting of "The Identity of Relative and Absolute"(Sandokai)?
    Good catch!

Yes, in my understanding, the version we chant/sing each month was arranged by Roshi Bernie Glassman influenced by the theme for Fiddler on the Roof. I will have to ask him sometime if it is true.

Bernie Glassman looks like he could play the character of Tevia in the story, no problem.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyu
    Good catch!

Yes, in my understanding, the version we chant/sing each month was arranged by Roshi Bernie Glassman influenced by the theme for Fiddler on the Roof. I will have to ask him sometime if it is true.

Bernie Glassman looks like he could play the character of Tevia in the story, no problem.

Gassho, J
    Thanks for the cool little factoid!

Gassho,
    Hoyu