Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner's Sutra Studies

Re: Beginner's Sutra Studies

That was a joke from Brad I believe. :wink:

A sad story indeed.
    The only thing that worries me is that someone who doesn't have a teacher and doesn't bother to read the reviews might mistake this for a "translation", when it is not. It won't matter in a hundred years and I doubt it will soil Nishijima Roshi's reputation much.

I believe Jundo's intentions in trying to stop the publication and writing his review were good.
    I believe Brad's intentions in publishing his teacher's work were good.

And intentions do matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Omoi Otoshi
    That was a joke from Brad I believe. :wink:
    Really? Maybe I missed part of the post... I thought he was serious!

I just started reading (well about 1/4 through it) Red Pine's Heart Sutra book, and it's a wonder. He's a great writer, adopting a mix of scholarly and "lay" commentary. Highly readable, and what a fascinating dive into the HS's history and interpretations. Highly recommended!

Just discovered Red Pine has his translation/commentary of the Lankavatara Sutra coming out in two days (24 Jan. 2012):

http://www.amazon.com/Lankavatara-Sutra ... 944&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin
    Just discovered Red Pine has his translation/commentary of the Lankavatara Sutra coming out in two days (24 Jan. 2012):

http://www.amazon.com/Lankavatara-Sutra ... 944&sr=1-1
    Ordered. WIll show up on my kindle on the 1st. I better get crack-a-lacking as I just picked up a book last week at a used bookstore that, so far, is really good. Platform Sutra by Yampolsky.

Thanks for the tip.

Gassho,

Dokan